Seeking Advice About Possible Political Science Jobs Other Than Lawyers and Elected People In Office

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by EvanJ, Aug 12, 2016.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anybody here a Political Scientist? I have a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and a minor in Political Science. I have read a lot of political science books, and I could provide a list of what I read to a potential employer. I found 40 journal articles that I have not read yet that I am interested in. The titles of these articles can give you a sense of what I am interested in:

A Court for the One Percent- How the Supreme Court Contributes to Economic Inequality

A District at a Time: Electoral Implications of Widespread Adoption of the Congressional District Method (or Congressional District) for Allocating Electors

A Vote Cast; A Vote Counted- Quantifying Voting Rights through Proportional Representation in Congressional Elections

Applying Voice Recognition to Vox Populi- State Transition Models in the Study of Public Opinion and Political Communication

Ballot Speech

Competing Approaches to Forecasting Elections- Economic Models, Opinion Polling and Prediction Markets

Computerization and Wage Dispersion: An Analytical Reinterpretation

Do Voters Care About Incumbency?

Does the Public Care Whether the Court is Political?

Equality Among Equals: Is the Senate Cloture Rule Unconstitutional?

Explaining Rising Income and Wage Inequality Among the College Educated

Gains and Gaps- Changing Inequality in U.S. College Entry and Completion

If Democracies Need Informed Voters, How Can They Thrive While Expanding Enfranchisement?

In Defense of Ideology- A Principled Approach to the Supreme Court Confirmation Process

Introduction: The Place of Agencies in Polarized Government

Investigating the Impact of Historical Factors on the Present Level of Income Inequality in the United States

News Coverage of US Presidential Campaigns- Reporting on Primaries and General Elections, 1988-2012

Newspaper Coverage of Presidential Campaigns, 1888-2008

Optimal Campaigning in Presidential Elections- The Probability of Being Florida

Political Participation and the ‘Feeling of Doing’- The Causes and Consequences of Perceptions of Political Control

Presidential Appointments and Policy Priorities

Pressure Groups and Political Advertising- How Uninformed Voters Can Use Strategic Rules of Thumb

Public Policy, Higher Education, and Income Inequality in the U.S.- Have We Reached Diminishing Returns

Should the Law Do Anything About Economic Inequality?

Teaching Race, Wealth and Inequality in American Politics at Liberal Arts Colleges and Beyond

The Dark Side of the Vote - Biased Voters, Social Information, and Information Aggregation Through Majority Voting

The Impact of Implicit Racial Bias on the Exercise of Prosecutorial Discretion

The New Inequality- Constitutional Democracy and the Problem of Wealth

The Puzzling Persistence of Process-Based Federalism Theories

The Rise and Rise of the One Percent: Considering Legal Causes of Inequality

The Senate is Supposed to Advise and Consent, Not Obstruct and Delay

The Swing Voters' Blessing

The Top One Percent and Exploitation Measures

The Unconstitutionality of the Filibuster

Unequal Incomes, Ideology and Gridlock- How Rising Inequality Increases Political Polarization

What Do Americans Talk About When They Talk About Income Inequality?

Whose Economy? Perceptions of National Economic Performance During Unequal Growth

Why the National Popular Vote Compact Is Unconstitutional

Will of the Minority: Rule of Four on the United States Supreme Court

Would You Ask Turkeys to Mandate Thanksgiving? The Dismal Politics of Legislative Transparency

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where I live most people would go for PR jobs.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Nah, most of the people here are armchair political scientists with potty mouths.

I'd suggest moving to the DC area and hooking up with a campaign or think tank. Seriously, a cousin of average intellect has done very well for himself there the last 20 years. Even this guy made out:

jonah.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone with a minor in political science and a major in econ can do basic econometrics and communicate those findings to a political audience. They ought to know how to write as well, having pursued social science degrees.

Really, do whatever you want. Econometrics + writing skills = new baseline for employment.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Not just DC. Head to a bigger state capitol. The best campaign work is also found out in the hinterlands, not in DC.