Seedorf

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by richsavare, May 2, 2007.

1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Once again he was outstanding for Milan. He must play for Oranje in this role. I know he is not respected by many here, but let's be real people and give the man his due!

Brilliant playing by Clarence.

2. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LEGEND! I love the guy. I love his work ethic. He just goes about his job and doesn't try to hog the spotlight. Everyone of his passes were timed almost to perfection and he is great moving (slowly) without the ball. Shame he hasn't been appreciated much by many Oranje fans.

3. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Shame he hasn't been appreciated much by many Oranje fans.

mainly because he hasn't played well for Oranje and has generally acted like a twat

but he does seem to be behaving himself now and I'm fine with him being back in the squad

4. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I too have been in the anti-Seedorf camp, but I think I'll have to eat those words...
    With Oranje's current midfield, and the way Seedorf is playing there's really no reason not to put him in the starting lineup.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Seedorf will always be seen as an annoying little twat by Holland fans. But if it's a choice between Landzaat and Seedorf, please Marco pick the latter.

6. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Seedorf plays well when he can roam freely in a 4 men midfield. When he has Gatusso and Ambrosini in his back covering for him. When he has Kaka in front of him pulling 2 defenders away.

We have no Gatusso and Ambrosini in Oranje. We don't play a 4 men midfield. Marco doesn't like roaming midfielders. We have no Kaka, although we can hope that Van Persie will be as good as Kaka one day.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I would agree with all of that and even during last night's game, I at times saw the Seedorf we all got to hate in the past, i.e. losing the ball too easily. For Holland he'll have defensive responsibilities that he doesn't have at Milan. Still, when given a choice between him and Landzaat, who would you pick?

8. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Neither. Landzaat fits the system, but lacks the quality. Seedorf has the quality but doesn't fit the system.

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    How very Van Basten-esque of you to favour system over individual quality!

10. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    I don't favour the system. I just recognise that as long as we have Van Basten in charge, we will play 4-3-3. Personally, I prefer a team that can play several systems.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We could have a wonderful attacking 4-3-3 Holland side with wide wingers if Van Basten hadn't alienated some of our best players and if he wasn't so intent on building in safety first options. But let's not open that can of worms again.

12. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    It's also extremely predictable. And we don't have a quality striker that feels comfortable in a 4-3-3 system.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I disagree. Most clubs and countries these days play in a safe 4-4-2 system and defenders aren't used to defending against wide wingers. Holland do not have the best selection of individual players at the moment, so they have a choice: play it safe, qualify for international tournaments, play a solid tournament that typically finishes in the 1/8 or 1/4 final, OR take a risk by trying to surprise and outsmart the opponent in a traditional 4-3-3. Van Persie has looked pretty comfortable as a striker in the 4-3-3 if you ask me.

14. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    You didn't get my point. Everyone knows that, as long as we have Van Basten in charge, we'll play 4-3-3 with only 1 decent winger (when he's fit). Wouldn't it be nice if we could throw in some surprises and change the formation when 4-3-3 isn't working?

I take your point on Van Persie, although I find it a bit early to say he's comfortable after 2 games.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That's where I disagree with Van Basten you see, I'd much rather he played Robben on the left and Castelen on the right, for example. Accommodating Babel by playing Robben on the right is one of the most absurd decisions Van Basten has taken this qualifying campaign.

My point is that I'd rather go back to the old days where we used to be either very rubbish or wonderful, as opposed to the way Van Basten makes Holland play, i.e. solid but average. Because I believe that that the former option is the only way we have a chance of winning something with this current generation.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Btw, Van Persie has scored in every single Euro qualifier he's been involved in as striker. He's this campaign's topscorer. I'm not sure how many games he's played as a striker exactly but it's more than two as he played in three just last year.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    what about recalling Davids?

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    God no! Why would we want to do that? He's too slow and he's a liability in that he always manages to get carded. We've plenty of young quality midfielders.

19. Kufibear

Kufibear New Member

May 7, 2007
    Holland
    i would like to hear names then
    cuz davids is still one of the most important players for ajax

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Schaars, De Zeeuw, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Aisatti, Afellay, Engelaar. I would personally try the left-footed Engelaar for the left midfield position but that's not going to happen until the day he signs for either AZ or Ajax.

21. Kufibear

Kufibear New Member

May 7, 2007
    Holland
    schaars is not mature enough yet,same for de zeeuw
    aisatti&afellay are not on a level for the national squad imo
    engelaar=blashphemy
    a 4 men midfield with davids would be a huge improvement for holland

22. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    But Holland would have the same problem my roommate said Ajax had this past season. You can discuss all you want whether you should play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, you can't play either when you have a guy sent off ;)

Afellay has reached the level for the national team, btw. In fact, against Slovenia, he was once of the best.

23. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Let's bring back Frank and Ronald de Boer while we're at it. :rolleyes:

We're preparing for 2008, not 1998.

24. Kufibear

Kufibear New Member

May 7, 2007
    Holland
    the card-thing is bullcrap,cuz viera gets more red cards,but shouldnt u let him play?
    the De boer comment is even dumber,cuz we both know davids is still a keyplayer to his team
    my point is
    u cannot have a strong midfield(which is essential) with 3 or 4 soft guys like vd vaart,sneijder,affelay
    u need 1 dude who can take a ball from his oponent,play some defense
    that guy can be davids,or van bommel,but since van bommel is out of the question,it should be davids
    he could bring balance in a midfield filled with young guns that are mostly attacking-orientated

25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Scoff!

If he's good enough to play for a big team like spurs in the top league in the world the EPL, he is good enough to play for a small nation like Holland I think you'll find.