Section 8 and YSA: One of These Must Go

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by kebzach, Aug 26, 2002.

1. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    I can live without the ysa chant. I think it would be wise to just get rid of it for the time that we are in Naperville. As far as the wave go I say we scrap it during the game. There is many other ways we can get the crowd into the game. How about sending out some section 8ers to other parts of the stadium during a part of the game and trying to get a stadium wide song going???????? I don't know how successful it would be or if it is even worth the trouble. Just an idea.

2. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is genius.

As far as the wave goes, it should only be when the Fire have demolished the opposition. It's the fans way of saying YSA. Also, the kids love it. It's just one more thing to bring them back next time. Personally, I thinks it cheesy.

The YSA chant must go. I'm on board with that.

As fars as infiltrating other sections, thats exactly what I do. I sit left of section 8 and the wife, the kid and I clap and sing and people around us kind of think, hey!, maybe it's OK to join in... More and more are doing it every game. But wow, you should see the look on their faces (especially the Moms) during YSA....

3. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    bit of a Pulpit, really, isn't it?

I've always thought of the "eagle's nest" as more of a "Pulpit"

pulpit definately describes its function and look

preach brother, preach! :)

seems like the YSA chant is mostly being done by either new visitors to the section or people who haven't been there for awhile or even since SF and either consider YSA part of what they're supposed to do or remember a time when it wasn't an issue and don't know the current state of things. There's also a lot of "tourists" to the section, especially lately. Maybe they just want to check it out or do it up for a game or two before going back to their usual spots and this might be fueling it a bit as well. Not only might they think that's what they're there to do, but they don't really have alot to lose if 8 gets punished. I dunno...
    I think the team wants the supporter's firms to get involved now and police ourselves by threatening to remove our pulpit. That's the incentive for us to act.
    right, wrong or indifferent...that's just what I'm getting out of it.

cheers!

4. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    There was never a time when YSA wasn't an issue. We had this same argument last year before Naperville, with a number of serious, regular posters weighing in against the chant.

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't really read through this thread.

I'm a bit tired of the anti-Naperville rhetoric... if there is none, I apologize.

I just wanted to say the following...

For much of the match on Saturday, the YSA was barely audible... as most people simply ignored the goal kick completely and just continued with other chants, etc.

HOWEVER, the second one of those hard-ass putz security guys came over to single people out and threaten to remove them, it got worse... MUCH worse.

In truth, I think we're not doing all that bad a job trying to work it out amongst ourselves. It has been a smaller and smaller contingent each goal kick.

However, those security people set us back about a month or so.

6. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    To the esteemed Mr. Blink, there was one loud YSA before the security guys came over and started threatening to throw people out. And that's the point I'm trying to make. There's been too much antagonism throughout this whole thing. If Peter (or *maybe* Squire, but Peter would be better) just got in front of a full Section 8 and *asked* us not to do it, without all the talk of repercussions and penalties and neighbors and ticket sales, it's just crazy enough to maybe work.

Later,
    COZ

7. modernpiracy

modernpiracy New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    chicago
    i gave my friend a hard time for ysa but as soon as the security guy came up and singled him out (possibly because he is the smallest person i know) i almost started in on the ysa out of spite. wtf!?

8. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I think I was standing behind you guys(the kid was wearing a green shirt I think). I have never and will never do ysa but I was pretty miffed when the security dude came up and singled out your friend. It kind of pissed me off. I know the guy was probably told to warn a person or two, but he really did single out one of the smallest nicest looking people in the place.

9. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know PW does read these Boards, but it would be a good idea if both Marcin & Coz email him the invite.

10. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I think it's best if Section 8 can handle policing itself. The more we rely on them the less we are.

11. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I'm not talking about policing. I'm talking about getting the word out to the section that the Fire would rather we didn't use that particular cheer.

Later,
    COZ

12. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I think it is good if Marcin AND Peter Wilt make the announcement from the Nest. Peter is that rarest of General Managers who has good offices with the rowdiest fans.
    The rest of us should spread the word too. If we avoid this cheer and avoid throwing stuff on the field we should do OK with Naperville. If we keep up the chant it will cause the team problems.
    How about YOU SUCK HARTMANN (LA keeper)? That is probably more effective anyway.

13. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or totally confuse him with YOUR GREAT FARTMAN

14. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    i would suggest a SHORT letter reiterating what the leadership of the Arsonists, Ultras, Barn Burners and Fire agreed to a couple of months back - signed by the the leadership of all parties and posted/handed out next Saturday.

Thoughts?

peter

15. section 8 rules
    the crowd is supposed to be loud and lively
    noise is what fires up the team
    swearing is a part of noise

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Letters = Spitballs. Next Saturday = LA.

I like it.

Seriously though, the letter thing was tried before, and it seems like a) it wasn't well recieved and b) it's an awful waste of paper.

17. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Screams of death can be part of noise too. Shall we start slaughtering people to raise our noise level?

It's simple. Don't do the YSA anymore. It's a simple request. It's not a big deal. You can swear all you want here or at your home or give it a go on the streets of naperville next to a cop or something if you must. Just let it go.

18. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the only people who are offended or giggly about YSA are the Soccer Moms and their Children, why not, "You stink, buttface!"? The kids can giggle, and It's clean!

"You rock, other team!" Great shows of sportsmanship for the opponent. This is for the kids. Let's make Section 8 worth while, I'll bring flashcards and quiz the youngsters during half time.

Of course, if you are too stupid to see sarcasm, my point is that YSA is not insulting, it is not funny, the only people who are amused are the children. Just chant some more. Or maybe when Zach takes one, chant MVP. I just don't see the issue.

19. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Call me stupid, but hasn't the Fire already asked the fans not to do it, and that led to a thread of seemingly 800 replies saying the Fire were evil for imposing the white bread suburban way?

And now, you're asking them to do it again? Is there something I'm missing?

20. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you've got it all. Just morons. It's old, let's stay fresh.

21. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    All I can say is that the home crowd in Giants Stadium does it. I know we started it, I know they copied it, but do we really want to do something that Metrostars fans do?

I thought not.

22. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    We need Naperville's good offices next year. Can't we do another cheer for a game or two to appease them? I think it would be appreciated. Believe me, the cheer is fun, but let's do it in Soldier Field in 2004 if OK there like last summer. Not now.

23. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    No, it was the shitty way the topic was approached that pissed some people off. When that letter was passed out my mom of all people even said "We would have been better off in Naperville" and my mom is probably smarter than most people on these boards.

I'll say for the record that Mike Segroves is smarter than she is just so he doesn't respond with some witty comment that insults my mother.

24. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    The problem with this is that if we do anything at all similar some percentage of the people will resort to the YSA chant out of ignorance or sheer joy. Personally I do think it's good to react spontaneously to the in game action, but if YSA has to wait until 2004 that's fine. Whatever replaces it just has to be different enough that some people don't just slip back into YSA.

25. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FINALLY - a persuasive arguement.