Section 20 name?

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by KyleScarborough, Apr 26, 2010.

1. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to be a solid topic in another thread...a thread too full of nonsense to bother sorting through...so I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Granted, for me personally, this isn't about just the section but all of the supporters groups having a unifying name.

That way, as far as the rest of the league goes, we have a supporters group made up of X-amount of fans and have it be a pretty impressive number.

Some feel just going by "Section 20" works. Siberian brought up using the name "The Barracks" as well.

Just curious to hear some input.

2. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and if there is a consensus maybe we could get custom scarves made up with the section name on it. That way all the different groups could have their colors and shirts etc. but a unifying scarf. just a thought.

3. dmelsh

dmelsh New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Lawrence / St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Section 20 but think we can come up with more names before we decide.

I think The Barracks should be left for the Athletica though. Mostly cause not everyone has military names.

4. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Barracks name was something Eads created, but I could be entirely wrong. Maybe it was an Eads/Lacledes thing for S20?

The scarf idea is awesome though.

5. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I say we let the team and supporters for that matter grow a couple years before we go corporate with it..

6. KingHenrik

KingHenrik New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if A-B hadn't gone Euro/Brazilian... could have gone with something like "The Brewery". Would probably be appropriate with the amount of beer consumed!

7. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corporate? The fans on an independent board working on it ourselves is "corporate"?

8. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    ok maybe corporate was the wrong word. But I mean let's get a little bigger, something actually special before we care what 1242412312 different names we call ourselves. Section 20 is organic, makes sense, and fine.

9. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, it's too early. Not a bad idea to talk about it, just too soon. I say let's just let the season play itself out, see what happens with everybody. Some groups may merge, some may move, who knows?
    Plus, not everyone who sits in Sec 20 is on here. United Knights have little representation. But, it's not a bad idea to talk about it.

10. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's something to push, but just a topic of conversation. I'd prefer to see it play out over the season as well and into whatever next year brings us.

Gotta fill up the week with chatter somehow. It's a long way 'til Saturday. :(

11. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya! LOL!!!!

12. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Section 20 is where it's at...and not just coz I came up with it... :)

I also don't know how much sense it makes if we're not united under it and we're still several groups sitting there though.

13. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in section 16 (at least for now) so I don't really have a dog in the fight, but the only thing about Section 20 as a name that bothers me is that Chicago Fire have a group called Section 8. That was their original section in the old place they played and then in the new stadium they got their area named Section 8. Plus its a good double meaning with someone who's mentally unstable getting kicked out of the Military under a Section 8.

The last thing we want is to be seen copying a Chicago group. I like informally calling it Section 20 until something organic emerges.

14. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anything that 20 means besides location on the CB?

15. HoosierHooligan1

HoosierHooligan1 New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though we shouldn't copy Chicago Fire's "Section 8" themed section name, the fan base has done a terrific job of creating a "supporter's alliance" where all the various groups have representation. Hispanics, Polish and American soccer, futbol and football fans alike come together to better support the club they love.

I propose we create our own supporters alliance with monthly meetings where we sit down and find common ground on supporters issues.

16. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of like "The Barracks" even if not everyone's name fits a theme exactly. We're talking about naming the section, not renaming anyone's groups. It would give us a way to talk about the loud fans without leaving out someone's group.

As far as the Athletica go, though, how do the Laclede's Army people feel about it? Is it your thing that you'd like left alone for the women's side? (Rokagirl, are you reading the thread for an official weigh-in on the issue?)

17. Monty Crues Fan

May 13, 2009
    Ballymena
    Club:
    Ballymena United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    You didnt come up with it... Im pretty sure that section 20 was always section 20...

18. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche, salesman.

19. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I don't like that.

We need an actual name that denotes the supporters' section.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Unless someone else in Eads had the same idea sometime well before we knew we were getting a men's team, "The Barracks" was all me. I don't even remember if I told the rest of Laclede's Army I was making that banner or not, but I made it for the July 26th game - the only regular season game we had on FSC last season. I did choose "The Barracks" thinking of Eads as well as Lacledes, though I hadn't known about any of the other SG's yet, mostly b/c they hadn't existed at that point (with the exception of RCS, which I just didn't know about).
    Anyway, I would give my opinion of what I think the section should be called, but it's obvious and I'm biased. :rolleyes:

21. kinross19

kinross19 New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    How about "The XX" since XX = 20 in roman numerals?

That would lend itself to easily branding.

22. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noted, and thanks for the clarification. I had assumed it was an Eads thing.

I suppose a few others were right, we really don't need it right now.

Plus I'm actually quite opposed to some kind of supporter hierarchy, which seems to be the case for some.

23. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WIN! It's official.

El Dos Equis: The Most Interesting Supporters In The Park.

24. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seal it with a Boom Goes The Dynamite.

25. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darn that "You must spread reputation around..." thing.