Section 127: Songs and Cheers

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Soccerholic, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    I'm new to the Supporters' Section in Colorado, but I have attended several games for the Nats in the Sams Army Section, including last year in Korea. I was wondering what songs and cheers people have done in the past and what people would like to do in the future. It seems that the better organized we are, the better chance we have at getting a lot of people singing.

Again, I say this as someone who has seen the Rapids quite a few times, but has not sat in the Supporters' Section. I'm not commenting on how well or poorly it's been done in the past, as I'm not in a position to say. But rather I thought that a thread on songs might help us to get some idea on what might go over well and what might be a dud. There's no use starting a song if people don't know it or don't want to sing it.

Some thoughts:

At the England games, if the team is up by a few goals, they start singing about the opposition "Are they Scotland in disguise?" (We started out singing "Are they Spanish in disguise" to Portugal, but changed it to "Are they Saudis" when the US was up 3-0:D ) I was thinking we could sing "Are they Tampa in disguise?"

The old standby (which I'm sure some people are sick of): Ole, Ole, Ole.

The Florida State War Chant. (Yeah, it has nothing to do with the Rapids, but it has nothing to do with US Soccer either, and it was the song that was the loudest throughout the stadium.)

I don't know the tune to this song, but at the US games we would sing a chourus of "Oh's" ending with USA! We could easily substitute "Go Rapids!" at the end. Of course, this would make a lot more sense if I actually knew the name of the song. I'm sure that anyone who's been in Sams Army will know this one. Anyone know the song I'm talking about?

The Kasey Keller chant: If Keller made a good play, we would chant "Ka-sey Kel-ler!" clap-clap clap-clap-clap. You can subsitute any player as long as you can get 4 syllables from his name (Sco-ott Garlick, John-ny Spencer, Mas-tro-en-i, Chris Car-i-er-i, etc).

We could try the chorus of "Country Roads" and substitue "Colorado" for "West Virginia."

Any thoughts on these? What about songs that have been done in the past? Other songs people might like to try?

2. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    No One Likes us and We Don't Care

(Sung to Yesterday)
    Donovan
    Met Maestroni then went down again
    How he wishes he was with Leverkusen
    Welcome to Invesco, Donovan

If someone feigns injury:

Waaaah, he's got sand in his p#ssy!

Or

Never mind the trainer, bring the gynecologist.

Agoos, Agoos
    Pretend its Korea
    And score one for us!

3. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Did you sing this last year?

4. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having been with this group from about halfway through the '96 season, I can say this - we dont sing anything longer than 4 lines (see: Hail To The Rapids), or things that don't repeat ad nauseum (see: O-le, Ole, Ole, Ole...). And forget about anything John Denver. I tried introducing a song from the Grimsby Town songbook a couple of years ago, they were climbing over each other to get away. "John Denver?! NO WAY DUDE!" "It'll never work." "It's too complicated." "I'm not singing John Denver." You get the idea.

Oh, people have brought up that we need new (or at least different) tunes. I have tried to bring in several over the last 2 or 3 years. PAGES of them sometimes. Most of the Wilmington Hammerheads songbook last year. A lot of them (but not all) were more than 4 lines, but no one was interested enough to TRY. In fairness, it is not easy to get together before hand to try out new things, since we quit tailgating, but these aren't exactly Ph.D.-level songs either. Also in fairness, the Wilmington songs were brought into a pre-game event on the club level last season, about 2 hours before kick-off.

It sounds like I'm bitter, but I'm not. Just cynical on the singing/chanting thing. We've tried for 6 full seasons to do this. We've had some (very) limited sucess. Mostly in getting the young'uns to sing "Who Ate All The Pies?", and "He's Big, He's Fat, They Put Him In The Back" at Meola and Thornton.

I've decided that all of the hassle from the part-time fans and the stadium nazis is just not worth it this year. (No matter how I try to ignore it, I hear it week after week.) To stand there for 90+ minutes and sing angry songs at the referees (all 3 of them 10 or 12 times) and "O-le, Ole, Ole, Ole" (10 or 12 times). That having been said, if you can get something going, count me in. I like a good sing-song.

5. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Re: Re: Section 127: Songs and Cheers

What's this "we" stuff? You mean the RATZ have tried this for years. This would be the same group that would chant "you fat bastard" to 6'2, 190lb Joe Cannon.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was of the impression that section 127 was not affiliated with any particular group with the hope and intention that it would draw a lot of people that haven't been in any prior organized sections.

In other words, a fresh start and a new chance.

So aside from learning from prior mistakes and preferences, why be negative about what happened in the past? If you think something would work, give it a try.

I understand that you had your frustrations in getting whatever folks in the Ratz to sing some songs. But this is a new, and much more diverse group of people. Why give up before you try?

6. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Coming up with a song

We should come up with something simple and catchy. Something that a fan not in the supporter section can follow along and sing to.

Also how about some kind of movement to go with it? It doesn't have to be a dance but something simple and appropriate.

7. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Re: Coming up with a song

I always thought the Macarena was kind of cool.

8. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One song that the LA Riot Squad likes at SJ games is:

WHO SCORED THE OWN GOAL???
    Goose! Goose! Goose!

(to Who Let The Dogs Out)

Another fun one for Thornton/Meola is:

He's got the whole world... in his ass!
    etc.

Good luck gents,
    We'll see you June7th at Victoria St.

tommy mack
    www.lariotsquad.net

9. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Section 127: Songs and Cheers

Correct, I should have specified the Ratz. Old habits die hard. And yes, the Ratz were pretty indiscriminant about who got the "fat bastards".

I would agree that this is a good opportunity to make a fresh start. I'm all for it and I hope someting good comes from it. 127 was pretty sedate last time out, but I'm sure that'll change soon. The Ratz weren't singing a lot of songs right away either.