Second Leg Thread - Liverpool v. Toulouse [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by ChanceTheDog, Aug 25, 2007.

1. ChanceTheDog

ChanceTheDog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    lexington
    Or hopefully we're not going Toulouse.

I don't think we will see Carra or Gerrard for this one, but thats alright IMO.

---------------Riena---------
    -Finnen---Hypia----Agger--Arbeloa-
    -Pennent-Alonso--Sissoko--Riise-
    ----------Crouch--Kuyt----------

I wanted to put Sissoko up front after this weeks game, but that might be pushing it. I'd also say that if Crouch doesn't make an apperance here, he's out the door.

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think Hyypia is a major doubt for this one. Arbeloa may have to play center back.

---------------Reina
    Finnan--Arbeloa--Agger--Riise
    Pennant--Mascherano--Sissoko--Benayoun
    ------------Kuyt--Crouch

What is up with Kewell? I still haven't heard anything about an injury.

3. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this one

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So who will Rafa play? Fun just trying to guess, I would like to see Crouch out there but again I don't know what Rafa is up to. He hasn't played him much at all since he was running hot around World Cup time, do you think he can remember what do do when he gets the ball?

5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Groin strain supposedly, but he says he hopes to be fit for Australia's WC semi-final appearance in 2010, definitely 2014. Absolutely.

6. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    rofl. 2018 latest.

edit: just checked physioroom.com and the Hairy one actually does have a groin strain. Shocked, i can tell you. Mortified. Never saw that one coming. Sept 1 they say, as long as he doesnt knick himself shaving.

pffffffft

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why not put Mascherano next to Agger? :D

8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or Sissoko?

I think Arbeloa used to play center back in Spain. He should be okay until Sami starts seeing straight again. No Paletta please.

How could Kewell possibly be hurt again? We are all of a sudden short on left wingers. If Arbeloa has to play CB, then Riise has to play LB. That leaves us with Babel and maybe Yossi to play on the left wing...both right footed. I wonder if Rafa thinks either Insua or Leto are ready for the first team. No Heinze signing and an injured Kewell means we are a little bit thin down that left side.

9. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He's on loan at Boca.

10. moondance

moondance Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Liverpool UK
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ----------------Reina--------------
    Finnan----Arbeloa----Agger----Riise
    Yossi----Masch-----Alonso----Babel
    ----------Crouch----Torres---------

SUBS: Itandje, Kuyt, Sissoko, Pennant, Insua, Leiva, Voronin.

Reds 3-0.

12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  13. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Tue Aug 28 11:00AM Pacific
    Tue Aug 28 12:00PM Mountain
    Tue Aug 28 01:00PM Central
    Tue Aug 28 02:00PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr LIVE
    GolTV (US)
    UEFA Champions League - 3rd Qualifying Round - 2nd Leg
    Liverpool (England) vs Toulouse (France)

Tue Aug 28 06:00PM Pacific
    Tue Aug 28 07:00PM Mountain
    Tue Aug 28 08:00PM Central
    Tue Aug 28 09:00PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr R
    GolTV (US)
    UEFA Champions League - 3rd Qualifying Round - 2nd Leg
    Liverpool (England) vs Toulouse (France)

14. ChanceTheDog

ChanceTheDog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    lexington
    He's far to short.

Hypia is our best bet, bust nose or not.

15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Should be party time on the Kop, be a fun match to go to even this early.

Damn I was trying to edit the first post and ended up quoting it....Oh well!

17. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------------Reina--------------
    Finnan----Hyypia----Agger----Arbeloa
    Pennant----Masch-----Alonso----Riise
    ----------Crouch----Kuyt---------

LFC 2-0 Toulouse.
    Hyypia (32) header from a corner
    Crouch (61) poaches one from Kuyt's shot off the post

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that's the EXACT lineup I expect. The reason Sissoko won't start even though he scored is because that's Rafa's way. MAscherano didn't play the last 2 games b/c he will get all 90- tomorrow. Same with Crouch and Benayoun.

Babel, Torres and Itandje on the bench too.

19. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have to admit, I'm not broken up about this news at all. I never rated Paletta. Always felt, while still young, he was a liability.

Have to partner Sami and Agger in central defense. Arbeloa can fill in for either, if needed. Also, for the life of me, I'm not sure why anyone thinks pairing Masch and Momo in central mid is a good idea. Doing that effectively assures us of little-to-no pressure on opposing goal.

Here's my crack at the lineup:

---------------Reina
    Finnan --- Sami -- Agger --- Arbeloa
    Pennant --- Alonso---Masch--- Yossi
    --------Crouch-------Kuyt

Subs:
    Itandje
    JAR
    Babel
    Momo
    Torres
    Voronin
    Lucas

1-0 to the good.

20. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit relieved, to be honest. When you watch some players, even if they aren't quite there, you just know they have it in them. Agger was one of those guys. Paletta never looked like he had the ability or mental fortitude to play in the EPL. I'm sure he'll be a solid player in the Argentine league, and perhaps move to Serie A or La Liga soon enough. But his constant mental errors just left me uneasy and skeptical that he'd ever be a regular for us.

Agree 100%. I'd love to see Lucas get a run-out, if we go up a goal, possibly to spell Xabi (though I'm guessing Momo gets some time). Crouchy goes the full 90 and Riise comes in for Arbs. I'd be interested to see Arbeloa tested at CB, just to see what he's got, but this game's far too important for that, unless we snag a couple early ones.

Sucks that the one spot where we lack true depth we get hit by a critical injury. Wonder what Rafa will do between now and Friday to shore up our weakspot at CB. Matthew Upson, anyone?

21. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't love them as a pairing either, but I think we may just see it in this match. So far Xabi has been first choice in all our league games, so it might make sense to rest him for this one.

While Momo and Masch may not create too many chances, they will no doubt make it impossible for Toulouse. Remember, we don't need to score to go through. I know thats no way to approach this game, but it is the reality. It would be up to our wingers and strikers to create some scoring chances.

22. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Upson an injury liability? Let's go out and get a young good center back so once Sami and Carra are both gone we will have Agger and ________ can continue to form a good partnership.

23. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    If there's any one single thing this club should avoid like the plague, it is the mentality of playing "not to lose." Too often does that passive, timid approach backfire. With a spot in the CL on the line, I'm not willing to risk that here. Are you?

24. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thats why I said its no way to approach the game.

Playing Mascherano and Sissoko in midfield does not mean you are playing "not to lose." We have plenty of other players that can create and score goals. And given that we already have a lead, the priority should be to stop them from scoring.

25. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Then you should be aware of what "playing not to lose" means. A scoreless draw isn't a loss, obviously, but the same mentality applies.

You would put it all on Pennant, then? Solely? I cannot warm up to the notion of "remember, we don't have to score a goal to go through." You agree. But I also cannot envision our forwards and wide men creating enough of an attack without at least one central-mid with an attacking mentality. I'm not saying go overboard and throw everyone forward, "best defense is a good offense." No, what I'm suggesting is continuing to play a balanced lineup that can generate some pressure on the opponent's goal. Seems a rather simple concept. I've just seen too many times a team protecting their one-goal lead, lacking a creative spark in the second leg, and it coming back to haunt them.

Hey, I know we're on the same side, here, so don't please don't misinterpret this post as a personal attack or anything, but the whole "cart before the horse" routine (a.k.a. -- "We've already got a 1-0 lead, so let's rest some key players and sit on our heels while they bring the game to us. We can skate by on our talent, anyway.") is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.