Sebastian Lletget

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jeff Wineberg, Jun 26, 2015.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The opening scene is the best part.

2. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitt's best movie for my money. Walz is awesome in it too.

But, the Bear Jew.....I could have been him if I was a Jew in the 40's Europe.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If GB had been concerned about newbies needing time to 'settle in' then he could've forgone the 'false 9'. He could've also used Reyna in a manner familiar to the player.

sXeWesley repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    *cough cough* The Assassination of Jesse James ;)

laxcoach repped this.
  5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    He is entering his prime. This is going to be his best years. He has a chance to be a leader for this group. If he can take his game to 100% till 2023, he might just shock quite a few people.

For WCQ, this is likely the core older group ( players like Chandler probably wont be called due to personal agendas).

John Brooks (27)
    Lletget (28)
    Morris (26)
    Altidore (31)
    Long (28)
    Zardes (29)
    Arriola (25)

If we make the 2022 WC and its November 2022.

John Brooks (29)
    Lletget (30)
    Morris (28)

----------50/50-------------
    Long (30)

----------- Cut/moved on-----------
    Altidore (33) age/ talent overmatched him
    Zardes (31) Talent overmatched him
    Arriola (27) Talent overmatched him

Outside of Brooks, it looks like a bunch of 90% ers. Not the Dempsey/Donovan/Jones class. But its really Lletget and Morris Chance to really make a difference and take it to 100%.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  6. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on needs, I'd take Zardes over Lletget. We have lots of options in midfield and few underneath.

dams and FC Tallavana repped this.
  7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I would happily move on from both. I agree there are plenty of other options in midfield. We have plenty of options up top that are a better fit for how we want to play.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    2 goals.

Hes Mr. Hollywood, but the dude can ball and brings it every US game.

10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    just quietly competent until he loudly scores goals. a swiss army knife of a midfielder who gives the better players around him the space to look better.

11. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny enough, I actually thought today was one of his worst NT performances prior to the goals, but I do agree, he consistently puts decent to good performances in for The NT. He will get minutes in qualifying and very well could in Qatar

12. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with this. He was all over others’ space in the first half and didn’t combine well. He’s a vast dropoff from every other attacking player that played against Jamaica. My opinion, of course.

bsky22 repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people are soooo upset that Lletget just keeps scoring goals :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mahtzo1, tomásbernal and Marko72 repped this.
  14. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Yeah I agree, I thought he looked a step below the level for most of the game but he got his brace so you can't argue with the results. GGG loves the dude, he is cemented in the 23 for sure.

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    he spent the entire first half opening up space for pulisic

gogorath repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any consideration to the realities he was in his preseason & this was his first down game for the NT unlike others on the field who'd struggled more often? Also, in their bad games they don't score a brace. When they do, it's not considered a bad game.

tomásbernal repped this.
  17. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    It's such a weird "feature" of this board, where people just get so butthurt all the time over whether a group of fans likes or dislikes a player.

Why is it a problem that many/most want a 28 year old, who has played 18 minutes of competitive international soccer, and has never even been an MLS standout, to be a bench/backup option?

Nobody hates the guy. He's an ok player. He works hard, and seems like a nice enough guy. He's very handsome.

What's the big issue?

felloveranddidanadu and nbarbour repped this.
  18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think he brings a great example in maturity and work ethic that our young guys in this current group can look up to. Well done for me.

madvillain and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s completely fair. He is in preseason form. But he’s also a player we’ve all tracked for over a decade since he was trying to break into West Ham. He’s a known quantity, and there’s nothing I’ve ever seen from him as a player for Club or Country that would make him more than a roster guy on our 23 (which, mind you, is a very high level achievement) versus what seems to be an auto-starter for Berhalter. I don’t think two goals in the last 10 minutes of a disjointed friendly against Jamaica B changes that.

20. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw it differently. I saw him in Dest and Pulisic’s way multiple times. It seemed like toward the end of the half he started to wise up, but he mucked up a lot from my view. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but that was my takeaway.

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm literally re-watching. He's not. He's in the box sometimes, but he actually does a pretty consistent job of pulling his man away.

He made maybe 3 errors all half, and didn't do much great, but he didn't bog down the game at all.

Early on, Dest and Pulisic were both overdribbling. They both got out of that.

Later, we were absolutely dominating but couldn't finish. That also had nothing to do with Lletget.

He was Lletget. Steady, makes his moves to the right places. Finishes at a pretty decent rate. Which is more than the rest of the team can say.

madvillain repped this.
  22. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1047 nbarbour, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    :eek:
    Fair enough. I haven’t rewatched. And you couldn’t pay me to watch that first 30 minutes again. :eek:

My initial impression was that he crowed space, provided nothing useful/proactive for the first 80 minutes (barring one good through ball I recall), and was very poor in his set pieces. But again, I have not rewatched and will give you some benefit of the doubt that I am overly harping on the negative.

Edit to add: some of it might be that I’m grading on a bit of a curve since the guy should be in prime(ish) age right now, so future improvement is unlikely. Whereas someone like Reyna (proactive and disruptive, no end product) and even Cannon (pretty abysmal throughout) have a different bar as we build for the future.

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The set pieces is pretty justified. But we have not found anyone to really do that. :)

He wasn't massively impactful in the first half. He made runs that were ignored or decoys, and mostly just played as a recycler -- which is what those 8s are meant to do. He just wasn't the reason things weren't clicking at first, IMO

I'd give the whole team a bit more time together -- they really did start to click. Someone on this team needs to learn to finish because we had a TON of chance.

nbarbour repped this.
  24. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's done a lot to stake his claim. If he's healthy and others aren't (McK and Adams both could've taken his spot in theory) he's in. In a 26 man roster he's in. Hope he does make the final 23, he deserves it.

25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I doubt that Cannon's bar is even at Lletget level. And no way he prevents Gio from starting, or Wes and Adams. So on a healthy team he is a sub, and not a bad sub to have.