Sebastian Lletget

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jeff Wineberg, Jun 26, 2015.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    One of the biggest myths out there. Don't fall for it Bob.

If his body type supports it its fine. If it is unnatural (not PED related mind you) but artificial in the sense that someones frame isn't meant to carry a lot more muscle then yes you are correct. His is and clearly his performance shows it. Are you going to argue with top teams that are eyeing him that disagree with you?

Don't hold it against him that he is a genetic freak.

The international game is slower than the Premier League by a mile. If someone can hack the pace of the game there, the int'l game is a cakewalk.

The main disadvantage of increased muscle mass is that it sucks more oxygen out of your system, so you gas out earlier in a match. As long as a player can last a match without being affected by that potential issue, its a non-factor.

TimB4Last repped this.
  2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
  3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    My bad. ( however you do see frequent posts that seriously get confused.)

TimB4Last repped this.
  4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 for 7 passing and a goal in 14 minutes vs Panama

28 of 32 passing in 87 minutes vs Wales...

Maybe he isn't the best center forward in the pool (obviously!) but 90% pass completion percentage over the 2 games is not too bad for a player who got a lot of negativity thrown his way online after the games!

Bajoro, Marko72 and tomásbernal repped this.
  6. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    He is a nice player but is he gong to start over the likes of Wes, Musah, or Gio? I think most folks on this board look at him as someone they like in the 23 and as a solid depth guy, likely to contribute at some point in qualifying. When push comes to shove, I for one am hoping we never have to rely on him at the WC however.

7. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    He started and played over two guys in the Wales game that each scored 2 goals in the next game in less minutes then he had in Wales. So the question is why would GB do that? He's a journeyman player... never going to be a starter and GB wastes almost an entire friendly on him. Its things like this that make me dislike GB a lot.

sXeWesley repped this.
  8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    His goal was as well taken as anyone else’s against Panama and I wouldn’t be confident in the others scoring against Wales that day given how congested the final third was.

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I wonder if he could fill the Yueill-Trapp-Bradley role.

10. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Reyna didn't score against Wales either. Wonder what that means?

adam tash repped this.
  11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disagree....he has shown well in other, official USMNT games. in fact, in almost all of his appearances he has been a clear positive for the team.

Perhaps you are lumping him in with some of the other USMNT/MLSers who fit that mold better (and there are quite a few)....those who are likely never going to be pluses for the team. Players like Trapp, Sweat, Lovitz, Bradley, etc I agree with you that he does what you are saying and that its not good. But Lletget is a poor example of that (admittedly too common) phenomenon.

Lletget isn't a forward, per se. He's an above average finisher from midfield, though. He's tidy on the ball (much moreso than the average MLSer)...and can keep up with the best of the pool.

Why judge him solely on goals scored? seems too harsh...no one is going to meet that standard, especially the midfielders in the pool.

I like Lletget, Nagbe, Pomykal, Bryang Kayo, etc as the backups for a similar style to mckennie, adams, musah....pressing is the way forward...and lletget can be involved in that.

Marko72, Scotty and IndividualEleven repped this.
  12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm over Nagbe. He can stay home like he prefers. Lletget has never reached what I thought he could a few years back but he's still in the pool, I agree. No starter but a very useful teammate. Those others need more seasoning IMO.

I do see Lletget's 'speed' as not up to speed with the younger guys. That's a concern in counter defense which is going to be a premium in a pressing offense.

adam tash repped this.
  13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can see why you are over nagbe.

But he's the best midfielder in MLS...he's just as good as any in the pool, imo.

If he doesn't wanna play thats one thing...but I haven't heard anything about him retiring from the usmnt. until i do...he's easily.EASILY top 23.

I hear you on Lletget....his potential seemed higher than it has born out...and maybe he is not up to speed for a great high-press...but still likely in the 23, as well.

14. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I agree that Nagbe is "good enough" for the USMNT and I don't have anything against him or his decision(s) to turndown callups, but I wonder if his inclusion would cause far more harm then good at this point. It isn't just ability but how the players fit in as a team or unit. McKennie made the point with Musah basically saying he has to prove himself worthy of the team, not only in quality but desire to play for the US. Bringing Nagbe in wouldn't necessarily be a disaster but it would have to be carried out with special care, at the very least.

All that being said, I have always taken the stance that we need to focus on the players that want to play for the US. Right now, Nagbe isn't one of those.

tomásbernal and adam tash repped this.
  15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked him but his latest spell at Columbus seems he has taken it up a notch. Columbus had a great season...and he was a huge part of that. Winning goal of the year and seemingly figuring out how to be dangerous offensively.
    ATL has taken a huge nosedive without him (and a few others)....

Sure, if he is a problem in the lockerroom or doesnt truly wanna play USMNT then leave him out....but I am not sure that is true. I mean a player that has beef with coaches like JK, Arena and sarachan isn't necessarily that crazy, imo.

We don't know what has been said or done behind closed doors...but considering how much of a good ol boy network the USMNT is...I wouldnt blame a player for not being happy with it.

I dont know the details...but if it was me I'd be doing anything to reach out and get him back in the fold. He fits the midfield well...and would be a great option with the other current players, imo.

16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't mean to imply that he is a problem in hte locker room. I have never heard anything that would indicate that. He seems like a fairly quiet and very likeable guy. I think in most cases he would be a positive in the locker room but in the case of the national team, I think it is important to demonstrate that you want to be there. I don't take the fact that he has turned down numerous requests from 3 coaches as an indication to me that he has/had a problem with the coaches but rather that his desire to play for the USMNT isn't there. I may be way off base, but I can see that potentially affecting chemistry.

17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Hes (Lletget) a darn good player. I have been watching him closely. He reminds me of the quote where some players are ok with being at 90% of their potential. I sensed back from his West ham days that there is a "hollywood" part of him that fills the 10% void. hes a Champions League level ability. He always makes an impact with the USMNT. Hes now entering his prime. For LA Galaxy, I think he had 4 goals and 2 assists in 4 games from the AM position back in August/September.

Lletget starting at the false 9, could be Berhalters attempt to find a way to get this guy on the field somehow near the middle.

terrible strategy but even vs Walves you can see the glimpses of Lletget's ability with the ball.

adam tash repped this.
  18. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I agree that Nagbe is the best mid in MLS but he's up there. I just want guys you don't have to beg to play for the kit. He's out in my book. And with what we have we won't miss him. Lletget wants it, that and his talent level is enough for me to be in the 23.

Mahtzo1 and adam tash repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Lletget a safety Walve?

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outed as a Kraut. Let's get him! Bizarro Inglorious Basterds bar scene.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GB said because of the way Wales plays sort of a man defense he wanted to use a false nine to draw them out of shape. Since practice time was extremely short for the first game he play Lletget there and gave the newbies more time to settle in. Had he played someone there who looked lost he would have been criticized for rushing the guy. They got time in the next game and both did well and should feel positive about their time and to come back and play again. Lletget will only play there again if he's in the actual WC 23 and some injuries happen like when Dempsey had to play CF. Having a guy who can play emergency 9 isn't a bad thing but it's also a ways off and Lletget is in the 12-30 range with young players coming up with a bullet (as Kasey Kasem would say).

22. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I came upon this movie in the middle a few months ago. Haven't seen it. Was like, what the F is going on. Definitely need to start this one from the get go.

23. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've long thought if Lletget had stayed healthy we'd have qualified last time. The team just didn't look the same after he went down. He's on my 23 now. A quality back up that can play a bunch of positions and make a difference off the bench and serve as a starter when need be.

USSoccerNova and largegarlic repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, you need to watch every Tarantino movie from the get go, or they're going to revoke your citizenship. Get going.

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He played 18 minutes in WCQ. They went on to score 5 goals in the remaining 72 minutes. Bedoya replaced him and is an upgrade in my book.

sXeWesley, TheHoustonHoyaFan and nobody repped this.