Sebastian Deisler RETIRES [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by smithfan, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DEISLER quits!

Live on NTV this morning, Sebastian Deisler has ended his career.:eek:

2. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. mofo4life

mofo4life Member

May 25, 2004
    near munich
    Re: DEISLER quits!

holy shit, nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.:( :confused: :rolleyes:

4.   ²

² New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    South Africa

Shocking news to say the least, but I guess it was just a matter of time before another knee injury set him back.

Personally, I think he's the biggest wussy in German football... good riddence.

5. Little fairy

Little fairy New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Essen,Germany

Here an english article about it:

Bayern midfielder Deisler announces retirement

BERLIN, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Bayern Munich and Germany midfielder Sebastian Deisler is retiring from football at the age of 27 because of injury.
    Deisler, who missed last year's World Cup after undergoing knee surgery for the fifth time, announced the decision at a news conference held by Bayern on Tuesday.
    'I no longer have any real faith in my knee,' the player said. 'In the long run it's been an ordeal.

'I can no longer play with the right level of enjoyment and I don't do anything by halves.'
    Blessed with speed, dribbling ability and an eye for a cross, Deisler was once widely seen as being the next great German player but fitness and psychological problems meant he was unable to fulfil his promise.
    After making his Bundesliga debut as an 18-year-old with Borussia Moenchengladbach in 1998, Deisler played for Germany for the first time in 2000 and looked set for great things when he agreed to join Bayern from Hertha Berlin in 2002.

Injury kept him out of the 2002 World Cup, however, and continuing problems meant he hardly figured for Bayern in his first season.
    He was sidelined for five months in the 2003-04 season while being treated for depression but he returned and looked a much happier man following the birth of his son, Raphael in 2004.
    He was one of the outstanding players in the Germany side that reached the semi-finals of the Confederations Cup in 2005 and Juergen Klinsmann was hoping to play him on the right of midfield at the 2006 World Cup.
    Another knee injury suffered in a training in 2006 dashed his hopes, though, and he also missed most of the first half of the current season.
    He returned to make a handful of appearances as a substitute at the end of 2006, including one quite brilliant display that earned Bayern a 2-1 win away to Hamburg SV.
    The stage appeared set for a return to his best in 2007 before he finally decided enough was enough.
    After showing so much patience with the player, Bayern were clearly disappointed by his decision to retire and manager Uli Hoeness held out hope of yet changing his mind.
    "I don't understand his decision at all,' Hoeness said at the same news conference on Tuesday. 'If he feels in condition at some time in the future he can always come back.'
    Deisler won 36 caps for Germany and scored three goals.
    In the Bundesliga, he played 135 times and scored 18 goals, winning the league and Cup three times apiece with Bayern.

from soccernet

:( :( :(

6. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

Wow, he turned just 27 10 days ago.

Well, he knows his body and mind best. Sad news.
    I wish him all the best in his future life and hope he finds something that makes him happy.

7. Natrium

Natrium New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Schland

Yeah, it's a shame, so much talent wasted because his body let him down. :(

8. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France

No need for Deisler fans to be sad, He should become a commentator, or a youth team coach

9. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

Uli Hoeness ended his career at the same age, also because of a knee injury.

10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I am shocked.

I remember him playing for Gladbach and Hertha, his transfer to Bayern was a big deal as he was a huge talent.

That's a sad football story.

11. schoppi

schoppi New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    Münster
  12.   ²

² New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    South Africa

Does anyone else find the timing of this retirement a little off? If he had been thinking about it since March, why wait till the last weeks of the winter transfer break to shock your club?

Believe me, I was a huge Basti Fantasti fan back in the day and waited patiently for him to show his potential, so don't think I'm a hater.

13. Bluecrux

Bluecrux Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

:mad: :mad:
    He's not a commentator,nor can he be a youth team coach.He's a diesel engine and uli will welcome him back if he chooses to change his decison

14. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar

very very very unfortunite. he could have been great, for country and club. :(

15. kontrol-ball-Germany

Jul 22, 2006
    Western Europe
    What the ..........

He has real pontential, those runs from midfield no to mention if he was available during world cup he would of come in need when Frings was banned for the world cup semi final.

He is 27 and retired?

He is injury prone but can make recoveries, has the doc told him he is damaged physically in some way?

Deisler was a player i liked and many thanks to him for what he has done for Germany and Bayern

16. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

This is actually sad.

I really do think if he didn't have so many injuries he'd be the best German player right now... his talent was just so huge! And when he was top-fit he still showed it a few times...as the article said, Hamburg was the most recent time.

Bye, bye Deisler

17. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

Yea, I am actually pretty sorry for him too, obviously a huge talent, but too many injuries. :(

18. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Re: Sebastian Deisler RETIRES

Gonna merge threads here...

19. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Sad..:(

Made me think of Marco van Basten and Holland..
    Gone way too soon..

Good luck to Deisler in his pursuits..

20. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    it's probably best for him to quit soon...i didn't ever see him doing much now anyway....Too many injuries, it's really unfortunate :(

21. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For his own healths sake, its a good decision. I'm sure this tore him up inside as did having to train with the rest of the team with back to back injuries and always working to get fit again. It must be a nightmare. I feel so sorry for him and wish him all the best.

22. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

Here's hoping you'll damage your knee a few times and become depressed, you bastard! Only noone will notice as you have no talent to start. :D

And I agree with the rest of you, it's sad. Hope he's not making a mistake.

23. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Sad way to go out for such a talented player. It would have been nice for him to get to represent his country at the WC, in front of the home fans. Maybe he has a mind to stay in football, to go into coaching or something.

24. Brandon313

Brandon313 Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    i do hope he goes into the coaching field, teaching players about his great attacking midfield style. We need more Deislers!!!! he was JUST what Germany needed in football.

Farewell to a great talent overcome with unfortunate circumstances!:(

25. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    Poor guy, very unlucky, always looked class when i saw him play.