Seattle Sounders of the NASL: Where Are They Now?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by sounderfan, Sep 30, 2003.

1. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    This feature has just started on SounderCentral:
    "Where Are They Now?"

Ian Bridge from the 1979-83 NASL Sounders is featured, along with Peter Ward (1982-83).

http://SounderCentral.com/WATN.htm

2. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hey, can you find out anything about Jack Brand??? We lost touch over the years between his moving and my moving. His wife and I used to go out together all the time. I'd love to find them again.

Thanks!

3. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way back when, a lot of the Sounders played for the Pittsburgh Spirit in the off season. I once saw a "where are they now?" column and what I remember is

Steve Buttle - still lives in the Seattle/King County area;

Adrian Webster - lives in Arizona & sells insurance;

Derek Smethurst runs a soccer camp in Florida (you can find him with a google search);

and of course, Mickey Cave passed away in 1984.

4. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  5. BarbS

BarbS New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the link to Sounderscentral's Where Are They Now? feature. I attended every game I could from about 1975-1981, before leaving the area for law school.

Is there any way to access old or archived entries on the site?

Good feature on Joe Corrigan too. I never saw him play for the Sounders...sounds like it wasn't his favorite of places. Sounds too like he may have been the one who brought Brad Friedel to Liverpool (or maybe he was the one who let him go).

Very sorry to hear about Micky Cave. He was one of my favorites. What happened?

For what it's worth, here are some fairly common-knowledge updates on some NASL Sounders:

Jimmy Gabriel-Assist. coach at the UW.
    Harry Redknapp-former West Ham mngr., now working his magic with Portsmouth.
    Bruce Rioch-ex mngr. of Norwich and Arsenal. Occassionally seen on Sky Sports News giving commentary.
    Mel Machin-affiliated with Huddersfield Town last season, maybe still?
    Bobby Howe-Current Portland Timbers coach.
    Tony Chursky-I believe he's a high school English teacher and soccer coach in the South Sound area.
    Alan Hudson-victim of a dreadful hit and run accident (as a pedestrian) a couple years back. I think he was expected to make a full recovery.

Let me hear if anyone knows more than the above (or can correct me if I'm wrong). I love to hear about the good old days.

6. BarbS

BarbS New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Since I was putting out some obvious stuff, thought it was fun to remember that the late, great Bobby Moore and Sir Geoff Hurst were once Sounders too.

7. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  8. BarbS

BarbS New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Thanks Sounderfan! I'll follow your links and do some posting there soon.