Seattle have sold 31,000 season tickets and increasing capacity to 36,000

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Why?

Your team went to the MLS Cup.

You still have Beckham.

You still have tons of people who like soccer right?

Why would LA drop to below 18K when historically it's always been well above 20K?

2. galaxy500

galaxy500 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Beckham craze has mostly died out and is not very well liked by alot of fans here. There was a HUGE drop in attendance from 08 to 09 and we dropped under 20k for the first time in several years. But who knows? Hopefully you are right and we will get our numbers up again thanks to last season's performance. We still wont be nowhere near you guys though. Thats a good thing you guys got going up there.

3. DonPogi

DonPogi Member

Jun 1, 2009
    I don't know
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, that is because Beckham didn't return until July. If Beckham returns by March I think it will go back to 25K

4. ryebreadraz

ryebreadraz Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham-mania prices still exist for a city that doesn't have Beckham-mania. If prices went back to 2006 levels, the place would be sold out regularly.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    How expandable is the seating in the stadium? The total capacity is given as 67 000 but in what increments is it practical to open up new seating keeping in mind things like the staffing needed to open a new area even if only one section was actually available for seating?

6. ptown

ptown New Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    31,000 season tickets? Link or it didn't happen.

7. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, more than 31,000 season tickets have been sold according to the Seattle Sounders official website . It will be 32,000 season tickets sold before kickoffs.

http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles/2010/01-January/Season-Tickets.aspx

--------------------------------------
    Tales of Two Cities:

Nov 1, 2009 playoff game Chicago @ New England. Announced attendance: 7,416.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's rather easily expandable. Hawk's Nest is about 3k seats, but they aren't likely to open that. Then they can open up sections of the upper deck, which they are already going to be staffing because they've opened up the first 5 rows of. They opened up most of the non-TV side of the upper bowl for the MLS Cup and that increased capacity to about 45k. I would imagine the non-tv side could be opened up in smaller increments if they wanted to, but if it ever reached a point where the non-TV side is full, they'd have to open up the entire TV side or else it would just look odd.

9. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys should have the Sounders FO make a few thousand of these and pass them out at your games. In sounders colors of course.

[​IMG]

10. lala1174

lala1174 Member

May 11, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had heard that. I wonder why AEG doesn't lower the prices to fill the place. Wouldn't they make more money and create a better atmosphere if they had 27k @ $20 per ticket than 17k @ $40? The Galaxy get all the concessions and merchandise revenue don't they?

11. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better atmosphere? Yes. More money? No.

27k @ $20 = 540k
    17k @ $40 = 680k

Midway point 22k @ $30 = 660

Yes, they get all parking and concessions. They might make up the rest of the money they miss out on from on lower tickets with people spending more in the stadium.

12. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    True, I haven't seen a game sine Beckham showed up because I simply can't afford it. The FO just wants to cash in, but that ends up forcing out people like me

13. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to chivas, they're literally the poormans galaxy :D;)

14. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No thanks

15. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check StubHub, I got some ridiculously cheap tickets (about $.025 each + $15 StubHub fees) when Beckham was injured during his first half season in LA.

16. showtime12

showtime12 New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Congrats Seattle

17. ryebreadraz

ryebreadraz Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A ton of Galaxy fans who can't afford tickets anymore have started just buying tickets to SuperClasico Chivas "home games." Still see the G's, but for a more reasonable price.

18. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and were those games sold out or "sold out"?

19. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Not needed.
    We have enough people not affiliated with the team, doing it for us. Like many BS posters who aren't SSFC fans.

20. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or I could ask one of 35,999 other people to do it also:D

21. clebo99

clebo99 Member

May 28, 2006
    Wow...that post showing the differences between the NE and Seattle home playoff games is brutal. That is a problem with MLS is that there is too much of a difference between fan support for several teams. It's one thing if the team stinks and people don't show up. That goes without saying no matter what market or what sport you are in....but to have a playoff game in an empty stadium. That is brutal. If anything, the marketing people for NE should be fired immediately. You shouldn't care if you give the tix away, get that stadium at least a little full. You'd make a little $$$ on the parking and such and not look like a laughing stock.

Congrats Seattle. Let's hope Philly does as well and some of these other markets start to pick it up.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are they going "make a little money" on parking when a significant portion of their fanbase is almost totally dependent on transit. Transit that MBTA doesn't run out to Foxboro for any Rev games, let alone playoffs?

23. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where the single entity fails IMO. Does MLS have a right to force NE to spend more on advertising and game day experience? And does Kraft have an obligation to attempt to raise soccer's profile in a similar fashion to the other clubs? I would say no not really, but to hold back the league because of it isn't right either. It's pickle for sure.... Krafts pickle to be exact;)

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Advertising isn't going to make MBTA run trains for the Revs

25. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004