Seat Recomendation (Home Opener)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jfranz, Mar 10, 2007.

1. jfranz

jfranz New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I'll be in DC the weekend of the home opener against Kansas City and plan to attend the match at RFK. Could a few of you be so kind as to recomend where I should buy tickets? There will be four of us attending, and we'd like to enjoy the atmosphere of Bara Brava, etc, as much as possible (without actually sitting with them). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Franz

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    across field from 135-136

so maybe 204, 206 or such

3. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I don't sit with them either (just buy my tickets from them). I stand in the Barra on occassion, like anyone wanting to have fun would.

I actually have fs tickets with the Screaming Eagles (due to family contraints). BUT, we usually do not sit with them either. We stand with them, of course we have front row so we get a great view.

Getting tickets with either will be fine, just remember sitting is for asses (thank revelation for that). But in the event you want to actually sit down, there will be plenty of seats to sit down in in those areas although after getting into the atmosphere you and all your friends probably will not want to sit down either. (of course at half time everyone takes a beer break and sits down like proper ladies and gentlemen, even that wildman BBBulldog!).

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC has a four-pack special for the opener. You also could go in the mezzanine and see the supporters from above.

5. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UMMMMMMMMMMM, ever heard of the Drum Circle?? :) Not much sitting going on there, trust me.

GM

6. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I STAND CORRECTED! :):)

7. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    The Barra Brava (and the Screaming Eagles) have a financial stake in you obtaining your tickets directly from them, so if you want to reward them for the atmosphere they create, buy your tickets direct from the supporters' clubs.

I've brought guests to the Barra before, including folks attending their first ever pro soccer game and even my teenaged sisters:eek: . If the "full" Barra/SE experience is too much for you, buy Barra tickets and sit in section 137, which (except for the biggest matches) is a sitting rather than standing section, and is down in front right next to the Barra. Great atmosphere, great seats, and no one rides you for sitting down. The Eagles have a similar section at the fringes of their area (132, I think?) but the Eagles have also been selling out of late, so 4 for the opener may not be easy to come by.

If you want to observe the Barra and Eagles from afar, go with BBBulldog's suggestion and get tix in 204/206.

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I'd caution you that if your party of four includes little kids or people easy offended by "off-color" language, the quiet side may be more appropriate. I'm aware that a few of the louder folks may try and assist the referee on their job quality or they may suggest advise to the wiz.

9. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd recommend not standing in my general vicinity, as I apparently have a propensity to spray by-standers with Captain and Coke, throw firecrackers, and fall down every 2.738 seconds. Oh, and attempting to pick fights with cops. Can't forget about that one... well not that I can actually remember it anyway.

10. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could always sit behind them in Sections 231 or 232...but if you have kids along, then I would recommend sitting on the opposite side of the field.

11. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    This is very very wise advice. For us, with our sections selling out a lot, even 132 (which started as sort of an SE family section) is getting dicey for kids although some families still sit there.

We think we have an alternative for family folks now, but we're not ready to announce that yet.

12. KGDG2005

KGDG2005 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Arlington VA
    [​IMG]

gocaps is right, but since you are coming from such a long distance, we should be hospitable!

JF - If you want, just drop me a PM or send an email to outreach@screaming-eagles.com and I can take care of your desire to enjoy the atmosphere of the supporters' groups, while still being far enough away not to take a beer bath and still have a tremendous view of the match ;)

KGDG
    Come On United (States and DC)
    www.screaming-eagles.com
    Our Team. Each Other. Our Community.

13. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Barra Brava !!

Join us!

~worm~

14. NatsDad

NatsDad Member

May 5, 2004
    DC Metro
    Club:
    DC United
    Speaking from experience, I would recommend sec. 132, the Nest "lite", (sounds like the Barra version is 137) if you want to get the best of the supporters' club experience without what some perceive as the "less desirable" aspects. I have sat (well, stood - but there were plenty of people sitting) there with my 11 yr old daughter on a few occasions and had a blast . . . bouncing bleachers, songs, a great view of the action!! You'll still hear a little colorful language, but nothing you wouldn't hear in any mall or middle school in America :)

We have season tickets in 304 on the quiet side, and from there you get a great view of the game, and of the supporters clubs, but no bounce. :( A great thing about the 300 sections is that they are under cover, so if the possibility of rainy weather is a concern for you, you might want to consider trying to get tickets in the first few rows of 304-306.

15. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    So tell me, how do you stand on the subject of sitting?

--Me

16. jfranz

jfranz New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for all your replies. I'll be spreading what reputation I can around this thread.

Personally, I would love to stand right in the thick of the support. With a flask in one hand and a smoke bomb in the other. But my wife, her brother, and her (female) friend might like to sit down during at least some of the match. So, I'm looking for a bit of a compromise. I'm going to talk to the three of them today and try and see just what I can convince them of.

No kids. Nothing like that. It's not an issue of clean language or clean livin'. It's an issue of one fanatic (who won't sit regardless of where his tickets are) and three just-along-for-the-ride-because-I-told-them-they-wont-regret-it (but likely to prefer the ride in a seated position).

So, as I work on convincing the three of them to sit as close as possible to the support, let me ask two more questions:

What is meant by the Eagles and Bara Brava having a "financial stake" in us buying our tickets from them?

And what is the price of tickets in the "cusp" sections (132/137)?

17. NatsDad

NatsDad Member

May 5, 2004
    DC Metro
    Club:
    DC United
    I feel your pain, brother . . . I feel your pain!! My wife has let me off the leash for the beginning of this season, so I get to be in the Barra this Thursday and for the opener . . . I can't wait!! :D

As for the cost of tickets, Sec. 132 you would need to buy directly from the SEs - ticket info is here. I imagine that Sec. 137 tickets are bought directly from La Barra Brava (though I could be wrong about that, and if so, some kind Barra member will surely correct me), with their info being here.

Enjoy!!

18. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The supporters clubs make money per ticket if you buy seats in their sections (we each have a special arrangement with DC United). Info for buying tickets in the SE Nest for this game are here:https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493252

K

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    well it's based on "we'd like to enjoy the atmosphere of Bara Brava, etc, as much as possible (without actually sitting with them)." hence 206 across field from us :)

If they're in to sit and watch the game then core Barra sections wouldn't be the place. We already have too many people that stand and watch which is about the same as sitting and watching, just less comfortable :D

20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    the barra is GA - you can always buy a seat in the barra lite and move closer into more of the mayhem if the urge strikes!

21. D.C. Beast

D.C. Beast New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    DC
    Yeah thats what i use to do before i was a barra :p

22. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    You sir, have a VERY valid point.

My whole family was at the NE Rev MLS East final game, waiving your flags, singing, etc., but there were quite a few undesirables ;) (i.e. those who were unwill to sing and create chaos) in the Barra that day.

Let's hope everyone can BRING IT strong for this game!

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    that will always be problem during big matches (as it is everywhere else in the world) tho I still think we're by far top in US with percentage of people going 90 mins to people doing fish impressions :) As far as big size groups, I'm sure both Rapids guys have better percentage :)

24. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I have a feeling the game on Thursday is going to be the most intense game in the short history of DC United (I have been to all of the big games throughout the years).

25. DMP73

DMP73 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Alexandria
    The last seats in the first row of section 237. Great view of the game, especially if the action is in your half which should happen for at least half the match. ;) Also, you can see the profile of the Barra which I think even the Barra would be impressed with. Tickets are $18 I think.

Enjoy the game!