Season tickets/Cauldron questions

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by staubio, Nov 15, 2004.

1. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, after my first season -- really, my first couple months -- as a Wizards fan, I'm ready to be a season ticket holder. So, the question is...

How good are the Cauldron seats? Why is the Cauldron relegated to the corner? To better interact with scoring celbrations or taunt opposing keepers? Does the angle kill the view or the sense of depth perception?

I assume a lot of the people in the Cauldron have season GA tickets. I could go that route. I'd love to be out there chanting with the rowdies.

Problem is, I also love studying the game. You could often find me in one of the first few rows along the midfield line, mesmorized. Being in the center of it all, within spitting distance of the bench is awesome too. I could always opt to run over to the Cauldron for some games, but it seems to be a sort of community that you have to stick with. I have no idea as I'm an outsider. I do know that you guys have a lot of fun in there and get props from the team.

So, season ticket holders, what do you do? The game from field level midfield vs the corner -- how does it compare? What should I do?

2. Davy's#1Gal

Davy's#1Gal New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I too am interested in season tickets. In fact, I made two of my buddies sign a "contract" on a napkin the other day at the watch party. It seems there will be three of us looking for tickets come 2005.
    So what's the best way to go about this? Obviously it's a matter of calling the ticket office right? What are some of the perks (besides a guaranteed seat for the entire season) of being a ticket holder?
    I'm so excited! Next season can't come soon enough!

3. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    You can come and go in the Cauldron as you like. No one will hold a grudge if you only stand with us for a couple games a season. However, many people like you have said the exact same thing, and never go back to their regular seats because they enjoy the atmosphere and comradaree so much. We're a close knit group, but one that is very open and inviting to newcomers.

On the otherhand, the sightlines are nowhere near as good as what you're used to. it can be hard to see the far end of the pitch at times. However, it's a tradeoff, and on I'm happy to do. If you think you'd have fun in the Cauldron, then I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun in the cauldron. You just need to try us on for size :)

Oh yeah, be sure to introduce yourself to everybody if you stop by, and don't feel intimidated. We're crazym but all around nice guys!

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was like that for a long time and still am like that at times. My family has had season tickets since the Wizards came into exsistence back in 96. We were in section 120, which right behind the visitors bench, about 17 rows up. It was the perfect spot to sit and watch the game develop and watch the play develop. Then I went over to London for a semester last spring. After being over there and going to numerous games where the entire stadium gets into chants, I was disapointed when I came back and sat in my old seat. So I decided to move to the Cauldron and go there. It's been great ever since. In fact I haven't gone back to my old seats yet. I even got my dad in there a few times too, and he's like me, we love to watch the game develop, but being there and standing and chanting is so much fun I couldn't stop. I still enjoy watching play develop, sometimes I miss the start of some chants cause I get inthralled in the developments on the field, but it's the best move I've made.

One thing that I said in the add to your post thread though, the thing they handed out at the last game said to sit in the Cauldron you had to get GA season tickets. I don't know if that is true or not, hopefully not, because my mom would never come into the Cauldron and she is involved with the season tickets too. Maybe that's something that someone who regularly emails the Wizards could email Curt about. Cause if I have to move back to my old seats, I'm gonna be kicked out cause I'm gonna be standing the entire game.

5. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep once you go to the cauldron sitting in your regular seats will suck. I haven't sat in my regular seats for around a year now and mine were second row close to midfield. Like he said you don't see as well but it's so much more fun to sing along and chant all game long. Not to mention stand around other fans who are knowledgable about the game and the league in general.

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Except in your old seats you had this really knowledgable English guy sitting right in front of you ;)

But then he ended up in the Cauldron too :D

7. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which begs the question... why not move the Cauldron?

8. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The short version:

Because we like it where it is.

9. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additionally... It's not likely that they would be willing to move the Cauldron to "the Good Seats" and still only charge GA prices. (Not to mention the numerous season ticket holders that already have claims on those seats.)

Most importantly though, we like it where it is. Being next to the tunnel is a great location. The view isn't great for stuff at the other end of the field, but we've got 2 video boards that usually show you what you're missing.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like where the Cauldron is, I mean I know people will say that we are stuck in a corner, but it's a nice spot. We are close to the players, and they are able to see us. They know we are there before the game, they see us as they go off before the game, at the half, and at the end of the game. I think it's good for the players that we are there. Like has been said, if you were to move the Cauldron to the middle of the stadium, you displace a lot of people that have had season tickets some for a long time. They Wizards won't do that, because they make more money selling those seats at higher prices. Plus if we were near the middle, it'd be a lot harder for the players to come celebrate with us after they score a goal at the goal closest to us. That's some of my favorite memories of the Cauldron, Wolff, Davy, and other players jumping into the Cauldron or coming over to the Cauldron after they score.

11. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So perhaps I'll just get some good midfield seats and then periodically join you hooligans in the Cauldron.

12. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good way to get a feel for whether or not you like standing in the Cauldron. That's what Beth and I did back in 2000, and after a few games it was nearly impossible for us to deal with sitting in the quiet seats again - plus we gained a lot of new friends in the Cauldron.

13. ockk

ockk Member

Jun 1, 2003
    raymore
    chris and i sat in the quiet seats also front row right behind the wizzards bench
    and one trip to the cauldron and we have never looked back

14. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, it might be a bit of a stretch to call the gang in the Cauldron "hooligans" - can't remember the last time we turned over a car or set anything on fire. But I would watch out for little Eden...make him mad and he just might kick you in the shin and call you a sheep shagger. :)

15. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dentist once called me a soccer "hoodlum". I thought he was using the wrong word and was laughing about it, but maybe he was just giving the truest description of us cauldron-ites. :)

16. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    though it is important to keep in mind that many people go to all the games and not spend a minute in the Cauldron and enjoy the Wizards just as much...

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Des Moines, but have gotten the flex season tickets the last two years. That way, I have extra tickets so people have one less excuse not to go to the games. With family, I've sat all over the place, but if I'm by myself, I've always stood with the Wizards. My wife and sister aren't that crazy about standing at games. In any case, I highly recommend getting the flex packs.l

18. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    How do you know that you enjoy the game as much as we do if you've never spent a minute in the section ;)

Oh wait, I remember now why you were on my ignore for a while. You're the douchebag who came into the section and started a fight with Spoon. I can assure the thread starter that we're really tolerant of new people as long as they arn't disrespectful to our wives and our tradition of being vocal.

19. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    I was actually going to start this thread when the season ticket re-up packets came out . . .

Our first time sitting in the Cauldron all season was this past Sunday at the HDC (Cauldron West). It was a blast. Had a great time. Everyone was really friendly - not a hooligan in sight! (Unfortunately, I was so busy trying to mentally WILL the ball into the net during the past 35 minutes or so that I didn't do much singing towards the end.)

Anyway, though I do believe that the Cauldron is the Heart & Soul of the Wizards fans, there are people who would rather get a good view of the whole game. I'm actually one of them.

So the thread I was planning on starting was to ask if there were other non-Cauldron season ticket holders that wanted to sit together? I know there's other fanatics scattered around Arrowhead, why not consolidate and start a section of our own? This one in Sideline Reserved.

Some of y'all called them "quiet seats". If there's 40 or 50 of us sitting together, the seats wouldn't have to be quiet . . .

20. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    I agree - can't wait.

Perks I know of: we got discounted playoff tickets (same seats), option to purchase discounted parking passes ($5 vs $7), and we got offered discounted tickets to the USWNT game.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other perks are that season ticket holders are usually given 2 (I think) "special game" tickets that can be used for USOC games, or other events. For instance, this season, people could get two people into the BVAC for the USOC with one of their special game tickets. Also I think that on some occasions you get things like invitations to the meet the players night, and some times you get gifts. I know one season my family got a soccer ball signed by Lalas. Another season, I believe mid-2000 when we renewed our tickets for 01, it was a ball signed by all six of our all-stars and Bob.

22. Davy's#1Gal

Davy's#1Gal New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

Hmm....I'm sold...

23. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nobody is trying to force anyone to do anything, but I find it strange that you felt the need to post this.

I hope this happens. Everyone in Arrowhead would enjoy having two groups, well, except for the opposing team. :D

24. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea, but how can we make sure we get a block of seats?

I know that when I've sat midfield (118 or so), I am usually around several season ticket holders that seem to know each other. We could fill in the gaps, I suppose.

25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is certainly uncalled for... and for the record, you are incorrect.

uppa 90 was just trying to make it clear to the new people that it isn't unheard of to sit somewhere else and have just as good of a time. i've been in the cauldron a few times, i know what it's about. my friends and i usually go to the area where the wizards are shooting at. when we're shooting toward the goal away from the cauldron, we move to the northwest side of the field. there's usually no one over there and you don't even have to shout to get the players to hear ya.