Review: Season Mid-point Re-evaluation

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Bilgediver, Aug 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we still have 1 more game to go (correct me?). But this was a point of questioning for the post-match after the RSL game, so I guess we can start to discuss.
    Halfway through the season, where are we now?

1: Did anyone have us where we are now at the beginning of the season? Brand new Coach and staff, almost an entire roster overhaul (and still adding new pieces), and yet at the mid-point of the season, we're 3rd in the west (by all point metrics), and 4th in the Supporter's Shield Standings.
    2: Chicharito's injury woes aside, he's been a revelation this season. He is still only 1 goal off the Golden Boot mark despite being out for an entire month.
    3: Jonathon Bond has become our new Brick Wall. Sure we've let in some goals earlier this season but I don't think those were all on him. He's given us so much confidence back there.
    4: Center Back Defensive Depth. Granted some of it is due to injury issues but we've really developed a decent amount of defensive depth, and between any of our CB's I can't say I would feel too shaky with any of them starting.
    5: Our starting fullbacks are easily among the best in the league, but the depth beyond that is definitely weak. Sega did show he can play RB in a pinch, but who can step in for LB? Villafana may need a break.
    6: We've shown some depth and quality in CM. We've got Rayan, Seb, Jona and Vanney's willingness to play the youngsters is starting to pay off. Saldana won't "change the game" but he is definitely not going to cost us the game. He's the new Rafa Garcia. But Rayan....wow what a find. I don't expect goals every game, but his ability on Set Pieces is a game changer. He does make at least one mistake early each game that provides a goalscoring opportunity to the other team, and needs to clean that up, but overall....what a find.
    7: Our Ancient Attacking Mids of Vazquez and Sacha are showing new life. They both bring something slightly different but can definitely both be the orchestrator of our attack. I'm surprised at how fit they seem at their age.
    8: Our Attacking Frenchies have been overall a net positive. Neither have shown the "bite" in front of goal, but have definitely contributed net positives to the attack, from possession, from holdup play, counterattacks, crossing, etc... I wish they had more lethality but baby-steps I guess.
    9: Striker is the one glaring weakness. Chicharito was uh-may-zing to start the season. Then the injury happened. Our new signing can't come quick enough, because Ethan has shown himself to be nothing more than a "Cog" to help out, and the lone goal he's had this season was purely him pouncing on a defensive error. I think of him as a sub and no more.

Our youngster subs have shown themselves to be decent plugs at the end of the match and nothing more. I hope they develop better, but giving minutes to 18 and 19 year olds hopefully will reap dividents.

finally
    The Coach: Greg Vanney.
    What a pickup. I thought Toronto let him but but his Wikipedia page said he "resigned". I've read somewhere that people don't leave jobs they leave managers, and I wonder if there was some issues between the Toronto FO and the Coach.
    He has shown a willingness to sub early and sub often, giving minutes to our youngsters, hopefully providing an outlet for the G2 to develop more. At least one player has shown himself to be productive from that (Saldana).

Berks, TrickHog, 2in10 and 4 others repped this.
  2. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The thing for me is how good our acquisitions have been.

Bond, A > great performance at a decent age and price
    Williams, B+ > marked down for the card but very good and good age and price
    Coulibaly, A- > Looks great, versatile, good age, price?
    Villafana B > Holds down the position for this year and next
    Raveloson A > Great performance at good age, price?
    Grandsir B- > Solid performance at good age but high price
    Cabral C > I see the potential but not the performance. Good age but very high price.

I don't think I've ever seen a group this good come in this fast. And I'm expecting them to get better.

Berks, TrickHog, 2in10 and 3 others repped this.
  3. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot Vazquez

TrickHog, 2in10 and skydog repped this.
  4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The youngsters have been a mixed bag:

Araujo: A+

Since the Euro window is closing soon it looks like we'll keep him through this year.

Alvarez: B

I go back and forth on him. No denying the talent, just the question of will it be enough?

Zubek: C

He's a number 3 striker and can't really play the 9. You need to have people like that on your roster, but farther down the roster.

Dunbar: C

Cheap depth on the wing

Perez: I

What's going on with him. He should be getting more minutes somewhere. Play more for los dos if you're not on the first team

Neal, Fekranus: I

The injuries were unfortunate.

I still think our academy is underperforming although I guess we have to take into account that Llanez and Mendez went overseas.

TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot Saldana =-P I would rate as a B-. He's proven to be solid depth, can fill out the roster with better pieces to cover for his mistakes.

TrickHog, skydog and Baysider repped this.
  6. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I did forget Vazquez!

In some ways it's harder to grade the bench players (Vasquez, Kljestan, Fisher, Acosta) as it's not as much about how good they are as it is whether they fill their rolls at a good price.

Vasquez and Kljestan both get A's from me since they've done as much as I would ask in their roles. But what's going on with Acosta? (I guess Acosta was last year, but he's effectively new).

Bilgediver and TrickHog repped this.
  7. cliche_guevara

Jun 1, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    It's strange because his rep in the great white north was that he didn't play youngsters. Then again, they're still on the hunt for their first freddy adu, so that may be overblown.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.