Season Goals

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Takkie, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from looking at the roster it seems to me like we have a nice little team on our hands. what do you all expect RSL to do this year? i think we can go deep into the playoffs. how about you guys.

2. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think making the playoffs is a possibility but there are a lot of variables. On paper this team looks good but only time will tell how they do. There are big names on the roster but we're not very deep. If everyone stays healthy and Mathis continues to play well, we have a chance to make the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see how certain guys step up like Countess and Dunseth. It's going to be important for these guys to play consistently especially with the WCQ games.

3. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's funny how all the pundits still say CDC will dominate but all the fans around MLS seem to agree that RSL will be a good side, and that Chivas is going to suck!

I think RSL will get into the playoffs. They have a shot at the Western Conf. title, and anything can happen in MLS Cup... but I'll be happy to have them in the playoffs for the first year!

4. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You pretty much covered most of it.

Concerns:
    Injuries/USMNT callups
    Cohesion/Attitudes
    GK
    Midfield
    Roster depth
    (both in immediate backups & bottom of roster)

Pros:
    Backline
    Attack skill
    Built in MLS experience
    New team buzz in SLC?

Krispy is gonna be a player IMO though.
    Personally I think it's RSL vs SJE for the 4th spot.

5. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of Player is Besagno? i havent seen much of him, but i've heard he's a D-mid. is he physical box to box player in the roy keane mold (not class, mold) or is he more of a Makalele

6. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not playing. RSL sent him back to FL to finish school. He graduates from High School this year and will join the team after that. He has been playing with the U-21s but that's it. From what I've heard, when he does join the team, he'll play with the reserves this year.

IMO, the rookie standouts so far have been Luke K and Watson. Luke should get consistent time with the team as a sub and occassional starts this season. Watson might see some time during WCQ callups but will likely play with the reserves mostly.

7. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeh, that's why i edited my post. i realized how abusrd it is to want a 16 year old to play with the big boys (unless his last name is Adu)

yeh, a scouting report i read said that luke K was either going to be stud or a dud.seems like he's turning into a Stud.

he needs a nickname too, i vote for Kreamy. or Special K

8. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Interesting that you should say that, there is already much debate about his nickname. I said Krispy Kreamalmeyer but not everyone liked that one. Apparently some other RSL players call him "Laser Luke" because of his hard shot.

I still like Krispy. (but who says there can be only 1 nickname)

9. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeh, why not call him Laser Luke and Krispy. I just Hope "Laser Luke" uses his shot to burn the net into a "Krisp"

10. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. rslfan

rslfan Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Sandy, UT
    Hey, I'm a FAN!! I'm going to say MLS Cup, US Open Cup and so my prediction is unique, Ryder Cup. :eek:

Hey, it could happen. :rolleyes:

12. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Now we're talking...

Let’s add to that the Champions League, Intercontinental, and Copa Libertadores.

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    If I was a RSL fan then my main goal would be to finish ahead of Almost Goats, which won't be very hard.

14. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would add figure out if Caterinca and the Blue Collar Ultras are the same person and what grade they're in.

15. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    My main concerns are about building a solid base of fans & getting the general public behind the team. That is to say, getting off to a good start in establishing roots fo rthe franchise.

16. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Your top players are very good, but there's not much depth. Not convinced that DJ Countess is that great either. I would guess a first round playoff exit at best.

17. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'm a bit worried about the GK position at RSL right now. All 3 keepers are all still very young. I think I'd feel better if we had a more seasoned GK that could step in if Countess slumps.

What's Henry Ring up to? :D

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, Countess and the college rookies have me a little worried too. Ellinger seems to think that he has some great upswing. And lets be honest, he didn't have Pope in front of him in Dallas or Chicago.
    Ring is currently trying to make it in the Metros (already cut by Dallas).

19. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Can I get a witness from the congregation? :p

The goals for this season are all tied up in making sure the team survives...

We need a solid, exciting team that is in each and every game...that can step up for the big home games...(Opening day...June 4, July 4, and Pioneer Day). ReAL should get good crowds for each of those games...but if they lay an egg...well there go our hopes for an 18k average (I know the front office started with 15k as the goal, but because they got every single date they wanted and the qualifyer, the goals have changed).

The attendance should be the fans #1 goal too...remember, almost uniformly, the politicos who commented on the possible stadium all questioned whether the Salt Lake area could, should or would support a MLS team. If the team tells everyone they need 15k to break even and then comes out of the game with 18, it would be much tougher to use that particular argument against the stadium.

Oh, one other thing...we cannot finish lower than the goats...sure, finishing below the Crapids would suck beyond all reason, but at least they have some history (mostly of being mediocre and having dilusions of grandeur)...but the goats have nothing and still think they rule.

20. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Good point about Pope. I'm still trying to remind myself that he's playing RSL.

Eddie Pope plays for RSL.

Woo-hoo!

21. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Season Goals:

3rd in the west... (top half of their conference)

Upsets their first round opponent, loses in the conference finals (Cup Semis).

18k average attendance (thanks to great scheduling/double headers/first season factor).

VIVA RSL!!!

22. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    Season goals:

playoffs
    doesn't everybody get in?

Rocky Mountain Cup
    Take the crapids down

Put RSL on the lips of everyone in town, and their butts in seats (or standing) at RES.