Season-End Stats

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by A66C, Oct 11, 2022.

1. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
    Some interesting figures from the 2022 MLS Season:

Total games: 476
    Yellow cards: 2,046 — 4.30 per game (last year's average was 3.79 per game)
    Red cards: 96 — 0.20 per game

Most games:
    REF: Lukasz Szpala —25
    AR: Jose Da Silva — 31
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic — 44

Most YC: Chris Penso — 128 (5.57 per game)
    Most RC: Jon Freemon — 8
    Number of referees who issued at least 100 YC — 7

Going to be interesting to see the playoff assignments. My prediction is:
    R1: Nima Saghafi
    R1: Allen Chapman
    R1: Armando Villarreal
    R1: Chris Penso
    R1: Alex Chilowicz
    R1: Rubiel Vazquez (1st playoff game)
    CS: Ted Unkel
    CS: Drew Fischer
    CS: Ismail Elfath
    CS: Joe Dickerson
    CF: Chris Penso
    CF: Allen Chapman
    F: Ismail Elfath

MetroFever and IASocFan repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would not have guessed that.

Assignments are made, though not public. You're 3/6. Though I think it's certain that two of your incorrect picks will work the subsequent round. One of your picks above has not been retained--in any capacity--for the playoffs.

Two of these correctly fill in two of the missed guesses you have in the first round, so they are unlikely to factor here. But I suspect your remaining two picks might be right.

All in all, I think you have nine (maybe eight) of the names we'll see for whistles on the first ten matches.

I have no advanced knowledge here, but I suspect your MLS Cup prediction is correct. I think Villarreal probably is a lock for one semi with the other one completely up in the air. The two names you have here are probably contenders, but it could be even more wide open. That second conference final slot might be the one that is most dependent on performance in October.

IASocFan and A66C repped this.
  3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I miss a red card somewhere? Missing a few yellows is not surprising.

EDIT: I only have 7 for Freemon.

4. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I think the final is between Chapman and Penso which is why I think we see them in the next round instead and the best performer in this round sees the conference final. I also said before that I would be very surprised to see Elfath on the final. Perhaps he earned the right through his performances but I believe he’s a one and done. You made the argument last time that a calamity in the first round is just as bad as the last and you’re right. But I don’t see him doing 2 games when 1 is enough.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're giving away a little more than I did!

Look, I think in a normal year it's between Penso and Chapman. But I think WC22 likely overrides things. Elfath has continued to get huge matches and PRO has seemed to support most of his controversial decisions. I think Webb and Geiger would even be sensitive to the fact that sending Elfath and his crew off with that big match would be helpful for them. But it's also very possible my ideas are misplaced.

For me, I think it's Elfath on the final with Villarreal on a semi and a race for the last semi between Penso and Chapman. But if I'm wrong, then you're probably (mostly) right. I just don't see a scenario where Elfath would work only one match and sit on his hands until he's sent to Qatar. He has to work again... doesn't he?

It is also worth noting that the last time the MLS Cup referee did not work an opening round match was 2013. So for 2014-2021, a clear pattern has emerged where PRO uses its designated final referee in the opening round.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    RefIADad, ColoradoRef, USSF REF and 4 others repped this.