Season 2023 of MLS/Other Teams News Thread (now streaming on BigSoccer+)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KHT_Crew, Jan 5, 2023.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long time to wait to watch two bottom-rung Western Conference MLS teams.

TRUJDUB21 and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could they have picked a more awful shade of green?

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin have now blown a 3-1 lead at home and it's 3-3.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not green, it's VERDE!!!

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blown is right. Gave up one at 89' and another at 90+4.

Wolff out.

6. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    #1231 Captain Invader, Sep 25, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    Heck, given the rain delay, I could have driven down to Austin to for the match after I attended the Rangers game in Arlington on Sunday afternoon.

Texas rain storm was kinda fun in a way, some really impressive bolts of lightning, got some hail banging on my car. Would not have been an enjoyable drive down there from Dallas.

7. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Sounders logos. There are like 6
    20230926_133706.jpg

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1233 Bill Archer, Sep 26, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    They're obviously still engaging in the delusion that the team was founded 50 years ago.

Just because an outfit used the name does not mean it's the same club. The Sounders were founded in 2009 as a so-called Phoenix club to replace one which failed and folded, in their case more than once, the first time being the NASL team in 1983.

The Crew has history, the Sounders have fairy tales.

TKyle, TRUJDUB21 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  9. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle Invented inflated self-importance and historical revisionism.

CrewDust, CybrSlydr, the_rickler and 2 others repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be willing to give them 1994. They had a USL team from 1994-2008, so there was some incarnation of Seattle Sounders soccer being played consistently from 1994 to now, as they essentially got "promoted" to MLS.

But there was a ten-season gap where the Sounders didn't exist. So to claim 1974 is a reach.

11. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FIGHT AND WIN!!!

TKyle, jairadballerina and Bill Archer repped this.
  12. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Dallas resting a lot of ppl, Philly without Carranza who might not be healthy by Saturday. Glesnes & Martinez also not in the 18. Looks like they think they can win and want a best XI vrs us Saturday

13. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Well when Kai serves a cross that good can't really stop that. Good for Quinn Sullivan though. He's a US prospect.

14. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's grab up Kai. He'll sign for us for a reasonable contract with because we will actually win MLS Cup soon...and if he hasn't been able to make the move back to Europe yet at 26 years old....he might as well come commiserate with his compatriot on the right wing in Julian Gressel. They could live next to each other in German Village, playing for a team that looks like Borussia Dortmund....the best they can hope for in comparison to getting a big move to the Bundesliga or wherever.

I kid, I kid.

...Not about us looking into signing him, generally speaking though...

15. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    While I highly doubt that Columbus will sign Wagner, it is still nice to dream. His salary demands are truly going to be too much, and the only way to realistically get him for the salary he is looking for is going to be a sign and trade with Philadelphia due to the archaic free agency structure of MLS. I also believe that another hang up is going to be Yaw Yeboah’s already inflated contract of 663,750. That salary number doesn’t include the transfer fee which is also baked into the salary cap impact. My 3 minutes of digging brought me to intrepid dispatch reporter Jacob Myers’ initial story of when the Crew signed Yeboah, and Myers’ source is GhanaSoccernet.com... So please take this with a grain of salt on if the transfer fee is accurate.

2 million dollar transfer fee, spanning across his reported 3 year deal is $666,667 on top of his ~$664,000 a year contract is $1,330,667 for his yearly salary cap impact. Now I only think the Crew will get Wagner if they can trade/transfer Yeboah out, because that is a lot of money for two LWB’s in a salary capped league. I also think yeboah’s best position in the system is at LWB, but if Molino doesn’t come back, I could see Yaw moving to the backup attacking midfield slot, as well as being a backup LWB (with sands), as Wagner would basically take up Molino’s salary ($735,367).

Tobias C repped this.
  16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, is the plan to just get two wingbacks who cross and cross and cross all game? I’m not really getting the Wagner obsession when we already have Gressel.

17. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    He can’t be had a tam level he will get significantly higher offers. While we could use an upgrade at LWB it’s not a pressing need. So expecting to get Wagner at way under value is a pipe dream.

18. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not one to wish harm on someone, but that pompous Eurosnob fanboi needs to be dragged by horse down a long gravel road by his smarmy scarf.

Kryptonite and the_rickler repped this.
  19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheapest Miami season tix have gone from (roughly) $500 to $900, and pricing categories have doubled at a minimum, some tripled, some even more.

And people are outraged. But… wasn’t this expected honestly? God knows what Messi’s actually salary is, not to mention whatever commission his father got for himself, and the literal profits he’s taking from the league and Apple.

I think it was [mention]LaMacchia [/mention] who said the Crew will have their first profitable season this year. And we are paying, what, $11-12 million in salary plus $7 millionish in transfer fees? So somewhere around $18-19 million total for the whole squad? I bet Messi is making that buy himself straight from Miami, and then god knows about his dad, league, and Apple.

So yeah, it sucks, but it was always gonna happen.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be a shocking amount of Dynamic pricing across the league in 2024. I'm already preparing myself for the backlash to the Messi Price Bump.

And yes, I do remember the Beckham Bump. This is going to be worse.

I'm already considering selling my 2024 Crew v Miami Nordecke tickets.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1246 Bill Archer, Sep 29, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
    So fans in Miami thought that Jolly Old St. Becks wriggled down their chimney and tucked the best player in the world under their tree and it wasn't going to cost them anything?

Just wait until.the team gets their swanky new stadium up and running. Those deluxe digs don't come cheap and it sure ain't coming out of Posh's egg money.

Just another example of how little most of these new league fans actually understand about how it all works.

Just as humorous is all the fans down in Austin who are watching their beloved VERDE! go down the crapper now that the huge pile of free money that new teams are awarded is gone, seat prices are climbing into the stratosphere and they cannot explain why the owner isn't out stocking up on Euro superstars to halt the slide.

They should ask us; we'd be more than happy to explain.it all to them. If we could keep from laughing that long.

22. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've gone back and forth on this. Part of me doesn't want to miss the chance to see the GOAT, but it would be hard to turn down paying off my season tickets by selling one game.

Ch(Elsey) and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  23. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I'm hoping the Miami game is before the all star game. I'll go to the Miami game and sell my all star game ticket if Messi plays vs the crew.

24. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm expecting Nordecke ASG tickets to be >$200 for the ASG. I'm sure that they won't be including it in the season ticket package.

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When my wife was in grad school at tOSU we got a pair of season football tickets for 80 bucks. Come time for the Michigan game and the Bucks are highly ranked so seats like ours are going for $800 without blinking an eye.

But I've got this 12 year old son who loves the Bucks more than life itself. I just couldn't tell him no. So we went, had a good time for sure but about every five minutes it dawned on me that in essence I had paid 800 bucks to watch a football game.

But what the hell. They're only kids for about ten seconds. Gotta do what you gotta do.