Season 2023 of MLS/Other Teams News Thread (now streaming on BigSoccer+)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KHT_Crew, Jan 5, 2023.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Imagine the players not trusting him. And his fellow coaches not trusting him either. Bruce could keep them all (including Onalfo) in line but Richie can't. He hasn't won anything as the boss.

2. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    What a surprise, covering up whatever happened isn't working well for them. Who would have thought it.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a circus. The players won't play for Williams and the assistant coaches refuse to work with him. Even Onalfo is staying away from that toxic asshole.

I love the part where the team president met with the players and told them that there might be a coaching change as soon as next week. It can mean only one thing:

Caleb Porter: He's tanned, he's rested and he's ready to step in.

Handjob Bob maybe needs to skip his regular Tuesday appointment at Madam Wong's Rub and Tickle parlor and do something.

What a riot.

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    There's a list of potential next coaches for the Revs in their forum and Porter is on it. Not surprising but I suggested they pass him by.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  5. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolute implosion. Please hire Caleb Porter lol.

7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter would “lead” them to win their elusive 1st MLS Cup, then they won’t make the playoffs again.

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you could guarantee that deal, there are at least 20 or 25 teams that would leap at it. A Cup followed by missing the playoffs for a couple years? Yes please.

I'm proud to say that the Crew would likely pass. LAFC, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle. Can't think of many others.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the outside, it does look a lot like the players simply refused to play for Williams and the team cut a deal with them. They'd dump the ABMOD immediately and bring on someone else, and in return the players would play.

That's brutal, Richie. Haha.

10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter and Arena in the same discussion? Required reference..

TRUJDUB21 and LaMacchia repped this.
  11. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wasn’t Bruce Arena rumored to be on the short list for Crew GM/coach in 2019? He was out of work and rumors were flying. I seem to recall his name came up as a possibility.

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullet dodged.

TKyle repped this.
  14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think he was ever going to be a good fit with Haslam Sports. He's way too old school for their tastes, and he's not a big fan of analytics, which is their basic operating principle.

Plus as we all know, he's an arrogant prick and that would have turned Jimmy off. He's the billionaire in the room, thank you very much and he's not going to put up with some pompous jerk.

Bez fits their corporate esthetic perfectly, a button down detail guy who's popular with New York where Arena has been poison for 20 years.

hardhead and TKyle repped this.
  15. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Plus as we all know, he's an arrogant prick and that would have turned Jimmy off. He's the billionaire in the room, thank you very much and he's not going to put up with some pompous jerk.

sounds a lot like Caleb Porter (shrugs)

16. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Besides our Showdown:

FCC @ Philly- predicting draw

Philly is more likely to win or lose being aggressive at home. But FCC helps us more with a win because catching them is unlikely and one team way in front of us is better than both.Philly already has a game in hand on us and up a point.

NE@ COL- predicting NE win

Rapids are bad and their home record is the worst(literally won one gm) Hopefully Diaz subs in and helps them get a draw. We need a miracle upset , stranger things have happened.

MIA @ ATL- predicting a draw

A draw would be good here in what should be an exciting game.A Miami win helps us in standings but also would give them momentum as they inch closer to the playoff line. ( Which is a scary thought) Messi might come off the bench. He commented on turf and said he is willing to play on artificial surfaces as he did in his youth. 0% chance they install grass.

Philly , NE & Orlando beating us would likely make it very difficult to get anywhere better than 5th in the standings. This is a pivotal weekend in the EC playoff race.

17. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Yahoo Sports article on the NE fiasco
    Looks like Snitchie Williams is still with the organization but nobody is saying in what capacity. Wonder if this because the NE FO thinks firing him as well might open them up to some kind of Whistle-blower Retaliation lawsuit.

18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1143 Bill Archer, Sep 14, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    "Snitchie WIlliams"

Perfect.

I'm curious though about whether the players hated Snitchie's ass BEFORE he ratted out Arena or was it only AFTER (and therefore because) he dimed the Gaffer.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Revs may well get the new coach bounce but under the circumstances, they could implode.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  20. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    If they lose to Colorado they might. Rapids are a really bad team.

21. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Snitchie" Williams was such a hack as a player, I always despised him. Now it seems like he has become a different type of hack as an assistant coach, and it seriously backfired on him. Meanwhile NE sits in second place in the Eastern Conference, and their club is completely imploding due to personnel issues. A very odd situation for sure.

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting thought.

Of course normally the " new coach bounce" applies to teams that have been playing so badly, and losing, that the old coach got canned.

In this case, the team has been doing very well and the players apparently feel that the coach got rogered.

It's sort of the opposite of a normal situation.

23. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Rapids fans plan on walking out of this game after a terrible presser and then a follow up statement from son of Kroenke. Some of their concerns are legit, others are about the lack of development around the stadium. They are in the planning to have a plan stage for renovations to the area.

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1149 Bill Archer, Sep 15, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    I saw that letter and I have to agree with the fans with regard to the stadium.

I attended a game there about a year ago and honestly I was shocked. It was originally maybe half a step above HCS ( being built five or so year later) but is now shabby, dirty and third rate.

They are correct about the PA system, I did not understand a single word the entire time I was there. Parking is expensive and not as good as HCS. The place is out in the middle of nowhere with only a two lane road leading to it, so it's a pain to get in and out.

It's not like Kroenke doesn't have the money to at least upgrade the place, let alone build something decent. Of course we won't hear Garber badmouthing the place like he did with the Crew. Guys like Kroenke and Kraft can stage games in a rat infested circus tent in the next state over and Donny won't say shit.

But I sure don't blame the fans for being unhappy about the place.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yeah, maybe the Rapids get the bounce after mercifully letting Fraser go. But I doubt their new gaffer is very inspirational.