Scrimmage today(07/10) vs Colorado Springs Blizzard at Colorado College

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by InExile, Jul 10, 2005.

1. InExile

InExile New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    I guess the game starts at 2:00 MT. Anybody got any hot info and will anyone be able to keep us posted on progress during the game?

2. btmountainmail

Aug 13, 2004
    Colorado
    Rapids win, 4-1.

Scoring

17:43, Beckerman, Rapids 1-0

54:27, Brian Contreras, Blizzard tie 1-1

63:43, Jeff Cunningham, Rapids 2-1

77:14, Alain Nkong, Rapids 3-1

80:41, Luchi Gonzales, Rapids 4-1

Good game, better than the score. Rapids fielded two completely different teams in each half, a mix of starters and reserves (more starters in the second half). Blizzard came out timid, but settle down after about 20 minutes. Tied the game and looked good doing it, with a sweet cross to the top of the box and a great shot from Contreras. Good tight game until 60 minutes in, then the Rapids blow things open.

Fabrice Noel came in for the last eight minutes, made a good run about 30 seconds after getting in the game. He is tall and lanky and confident, much what you would expect for someone in his position.

All in all, a fun game. Rapids obviously tried a few different combinations, but took it seriously. Blizzard played some good ball and did themselves proud, minus the implosion at the end.

3. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Edit to add Thanks btmountainmail for your comments...
    I'd be interested to hear comments from someone who was there but here are some quotes from coloradorapids.com:

This sounds good:
    but is somewhat tempered by that fact that
    The score at that time was 1-0. The Rapids gave up the tieing goal up a man :( Now some new names (at least to me)...
    and

4. btmountainmail

Aug 13, 2004
    Colorado
    Oops - forgot about the cards. There were a couple in the first half in addition to the red - refs seemed to ease up a little in the second.

I just really enjoyed seeing the Rapids play in a smaller setting. I love that they play Colorado Springs and Boulder, as well as some of the club sides in Denver. I'd love to see a "goodwill tour" of the whole state at some point, with pre-season games on the Western Slope and Fort Collins and everywhere else.

5. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    their goal came with having a man down! wow... we get three more when they are a man down....Wow again!!!!!

6. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure CS were allowed to play with 11 the second half (Marley was sent off right before HT)

Edson and Montezuma are both Mexican players Clavijo has with the team on trial. (or something like that) they are both listed on the offical roster as Invitees.

also, don't forget, CS Blizzards beat the KC Brass Saturday night in a league match. Taking on the Rapids less than 24 hours later had to be murder on their legs. You could see the difference in the two teams....CR were much quicker and were had a lot more talent. You could especally see the difference in the second half.