Scrimmage against USF - Wednesday 3/12

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Mr. Bandwagon, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    I wanna!! I'll have to skip class but as long as I'm not the only one there, I'll go. I really hope the Quakes decimate the USF team because I overheard one Don talking serious smack. :rolleyes: But he probably just needed to boost his ego.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm going and because of what Ruby said, i'm brining rotten tomatoes .... just point out which player to chuck 'em at! :D

mmmmmm, Quakes.

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I'm there, but i have no life outside of soccer:(

5. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I feel a cold coming on. Looks like I'll be out sick tomorrow, just in case. ;)

As far as the scrimmage goes, I'm wondering if any of the Florida trialists (Scoot, Bryce and "Waiting for mister" Goodridge) will still be with the team now that they're back in the Bay.

Does anyone know what Goodridge and Wegerle look like? Anyone got the internet search engine fired up?

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Does anyone know what Goodridge and Wegerle look like?

Well, going from the audio of the Crew game, Goodridge is black and wears #20, and Wegerle is over 6 feet, which should make him stick out against the other forwards.

7. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Quakes definitely need to add more brothas - like Ja. Walker and maybe Goodridge if he impresses. We haven't had as much happening in that department since Junior left (which, as you might recall, led to the much debated "Are Yallop and Johnny Moore part of the secret aryan brotherhood?" threads that were thankfully wiped out in the BigSoccer crashes). :(

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that was one time we could be grateful for a crash; killing that dumbass thread was a blessing.

9. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I'm glad we traded Cerritos for that "whiteboy" Graziani. :rolleyes: That guy was the dumbest mofo. Other than Columbus, does any other team have a possible Soul Brother forward line?

10. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait now, where is WVC?

11. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    I'll remember when I see him. He kinda had an owen wilson look to him (cute too) but he was quite the talker. Grrr...

12. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL
    I will be there! It will be great to get a quick look at what the new Quakes talent can do. Plus with the current status of the world it might be the only time I will be home to see them.

Go Quakes!!!!

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel a terrible, terrible migrane coming on. So terrible I can't work. But it is a sign of soccer withdrawals. So I think seeing some soccer will cure that. :p

I wish that were the case. I really wanna go, but I should be responsible and go to work.

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will someone who is so privileged to live close enough to go to this scrimmage please post back on that all-important question: What's Donovan doing with his hair? Is he growing a mullet or what?? Inquiring minds want to know.

15. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, whoever does go, just report back on everything. My migrane didn't come about. ;)

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard that the Quakes won 3-0. I wasn't there, but that's what I was just told.

I'll let people who were there comment more.

17. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    I have to say I am REALLY impressed with the way the Quakes played today. I know USF isn't nearly as challenging as LA or Colorado BUT if they can stay composed and maintain good movement off the ball (like they did today), we'll be alright.

I was especially impressed with Mullan. He is very active and creative; he's always checking back, making runs, finding the open man/space, etc. He has a strong work ethic (like Richard) and he really compliments our style of play.

I didn't really get a good look at Ching but my impression is he's less of a playmaker [than Mullan or LD] and more of a finisher--which is something we need with Graz gone.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the team evolve. It'll be ineresting to see how we compare to stronger teams.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Overall, the team looked pretty solid today. Of course, they were playing a college side, but still...

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Mulrooney definitely appeared to be back in form. Ekelund looked good too after he was inserted in the second half, although it looked like he had either just stepped out of the shower or had been sweating profusely just prior to playing (since his hair looked like it was still wet). :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp With his newly-cropped hair, I didn't recognize Agoos until I saw his jersey number. :D

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Josh Saunders looked alright today (he wasn't challenged all that much), but hopefully the Earthquakes can sign a second keeper soon (either as a starter or as a backup) - it was disconcertingly strange when USF played two or three keepers throughout the friendly while the Quakes only played one (they obviously had no choice).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the reports. Sounds good.

20. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL
    I agree with the previous two reports, Mullan looks like a great addition to the team. His work ethic is incredible and spends time tracking back to help out on defense. I thought Brian Ching also looked good, but didn't really get that many opportunities other than his late goal. I wasn't really impressed with Jamil Walker or Todd Dunivant, but I have only seen them play this once. After the scrimmage Jamil was putting everything in the net, but during the game he couldn't keep the ball on his foot. He choked under any pressure.

For the old guys...they all looked really fit. Especially Donovan, Agoos, and Robinson. The addition of Waibel has stabilized the backline and with Roner to sub in our defense looks incredible. LD played mostly attacking mid and I am not sure if he does well there. He seems more dangerous up front breathing down the opposing keeper's neck.

All in all, the team looks pretty good. A lot better than I thought they would after the loss of some key players.

Poor USF, they didn't stand a chance!

Go Quakes!

21. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Yes he is. Bianca is a big "Joe Dirt" fan. fear the mullet! I hear he bought a 68 Camaro SS and he listens to AC/DC on his new Audiovox cassette player with the bumpin 6x9's. :D

22. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its an 8-track, not a cassette player.

Tony

23. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Maybe it was Foghat, not AC/DC. :D

24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I didn't see Ruby or goodsport there( unless that was you goodsy, with the camera ) I'm sure i would have noticed Ruby, (unless she was the pregnant one sitting on the ground)
    As to the practice, I take back what I said about Mullan, he looked very good in the game, lots of hustle, great ball controll, didn't get flustered under pressure and passed well. As long as he has a good attitude he will be a good fit up front with Donovan and DeRo. I talked to DeRo after the match and he said that the doctors would probably clear him to start practice again in about three weeks or so. He said that he thought the new players would work out fine with the squad and would fit in well.
    Saunders wasn't challenged much, stopping only three shots or so and only one of those was dangerous. Coach Dom verified that the quakes will be looking at a keeper from England in the next two weeks for the starting position. No word on who.
    Waibel is going to work out, big, strong and good on the outside, he will be a asset to the club. I'm starting to second guess my earlier pessimism.

25. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    No I wasn't the pregnant one! I arrived a bit late and ended up siting in the front row of the bleachers, in the sun. I wore a black shirt and dark denim jeans and boy was that stupid. I saw you standing quite cool :( in the shade though--I would've moved but I didn't want to draw attention to myself. :-/ Man was it awkward being there...

Did you talk to any of the other injured players? And was Goodridge and Wegerley (sp?) present?

I am glad your starting to realize we have a good team, even if it doesn't look as good on paper. :)