Screaming Eagles Pickup Game

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by albionroad, Oct 16, 2003.

1. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come join us for a weekly pickup game, open to anyone (not just SEs). Our numbers have dwindled in the last few weeks and it would be really nice to see a few new faces.

We play every Saturday morning, 9am, at Key School on Franconia Road in Springfield. There are normally a few youth league games going on at the school but we've never had a problem finding space for our own game.

If you need more information send me a PM. Otherwise we'll see you on saturday!

Here are some directions:

*Walking directions from Springfield/Franconia Metro
    As you exit Metro station, take escalator to street level Take a left and follow the sidewalk to the street light Continue straight up Frontier Dr. Turn right on Franconia Rd. Key School will be on your left

*Directions from Inner Loop of Beltway (Alexandria, PG County, etc.) Take the Van Dorn St. exit Turn right on Van Dorn St. Turn right on Franconia Rd. Key School is a little over 2 miles ahead on your right

*Directions from Outer Loop of the Beltway (Tyson's Corner, Montgomery County, etc.) Take the 95 South exit Take the Franconia Rd (Rte 644) east exit Stay left at the split Turn left into Key School parking lot

*Directions from 395 southbound (Pentagon City, DC, etc.) Take the Franconia Rd (Rte 644) east exit
    Stay left at the split Turn left into Key School parking lot

*Directions from 95 northbound (Woodbridge, Dumfries, etc.) Take the Springfield exit Follow signs toward Franconia, staying right at the split Go straight through two lights Turn left on Frontier Dr. Turn right on Franconia Rd. Turn left into Key School parking lot

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    9 AM is brutal!

3. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. It used to be 10...one weekend (when I wasn't there) it was decided to move the time to 9...I still don't quite know why.

On the other hand, if you tell people to be there at 9, it means most people are just strapping on their shinpads at 9:30.

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Too true!

5. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    Are there age restrictions (max or min)? Or how about skill restrictions? Do you have to be really good to come out?

6. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Might that account for the dwindling numbers? Honestly, I've always wanted to come to the pickup games, but 9 in Springfield means I'd have to get up at 8 on a Saturday morning. Not going to happen.

7. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pick up is for all skill levels. I believe the group is all adults but don't see why a high schooler couldn't play (like Jr-Sr?)

As far as the early hr, I'm sure any of the SEFC organizers would love some volunteers to help them fight to get better times as getting access to fields in the metro area for adults to play is a complete nightmare.

K

8. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There aren't really any age restrictions. The youngest is William, who is about 14 and the oldest...I'm not sure any of the older players will admit their true age so there's really no age limit. There are no skill restrictions but I would prefer it if you were worse than me ;)

After last saturday's 3 on 2, we're not turning anyone away.

It's possible that the early start has turned a few people away. I'm not sure.

9. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    I like the early start time. For me, the earlier the better. Only problem for tomorrow is I am sick :-(. If we are in town on the 24th, we'll (I and two of my teenage sons) come out. I should be able to round up a few more guys, too. Man, I wish I could come tomorrow :-(

10. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

I'm down. I could use some practice for my company games.

11. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    Are you all still playing at Key school? If so, a few guys would like to come join you this Saturday.

12. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    Don't wait - lace up those boots

I've gone out for a few of the Screaming Eagles pick-up games this (early) spring, and they are great. I just want to say if you are on the fence, if you have been thinking about this for a while but have not come out, you need to go ahead and come out. Its a good game, a good group, and, I can attest, a good workout.

13. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    No skill or age restrictions, but if you're really good, it might not be too much for for you, because we're not the greatest ... particularly me! :D

It's a very friendly game, so come and check it out. If you're interested, Keith Bundy can put you on the mailing list. It sends out a single email once a week that verifies the time, place, and directions.

The time is 9am-12 noon, so if 10 or even 11 is more your speed, just show up, we'll let you jump into the middle of the game instantly. It's a fun time, and a great way to enjoy the nice weather.

-Digital