Scottish Flags on 11/9? Too hokey?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Rev-eler, Oct 29, 2003.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    You mean, a little something like this?

[​IMG]

Naaaah....

We'd all be Euro-wannabes if that's the case ;-)

Actually, smaller displays not unlike the one above have been proposed previously to the Revolution, but the Revs front office hasn't been entirely receptive to the idea. There have been concerns about clean-up, safety, etc.

To be honest, I'd love to see some displays accomoodated in other stadia, but before we do that I think we need to find a way to get more fans into The Fort, and specifically, those type of fans who'd want to be involved in such an effort.

It would take time, but it's not impossible.

The Magpie

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's nae Scottish it's crrrraaap!

Jeez, lighten up everyone! I remember back in the day, Eric Spurlock used to wave a Mozambique flag (complete with AK-47 crest) to honor Chiquinho Conde. PoCM published a picture of him, by himself in an empty section waving the flag, saying that ever since they traded Conde, the "rabid, passionate ethnic Mozambican fanbase" was nowhere to be seen.

And for those who are hung up on the Yank inferiority complex, watch any game overseas and you will likely see a flag from the home country of one of the local team's foreign players. It's done all over the world, so Scottish flags would not look out of place here at all.

And to say that BigFrank is "not a real Revs fan" is laughable. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be speaking out in the "Where have all the Rev fans gone" thread--he would have just stopped coming to the games like a lot of other folks we all know.

Tom

3. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Happy Halloween, appropriately enough

Frankly, I don't really care what anyone wears or waves at a game. Whatever floats your boat.

But I think the original question to this thread was would the Scottish flags be too hokey?
    I think they are; others disagree.
    Nothing wrong with that.

I gave my opinion of what I think it would look like.

Wear whatever you like. Bring a flag for Cancela, too, while you are at it.
    Enjoy yourself, and don't worry about what others think.

But if you're not going to worry about what others think, then don't ask.

Paint your faces blue & white, wear a Scottish national team jersey with a tartan kilt and white knee socks.
    Make believe you're Mel Gibson in Braveheart.

Get three seconds of fame on a TV broadcast that nobody will be watching because hopefully Revs fans that still care will fill the stadium.

March into the Razor like the Tartan Army, and let JMMUSA8 march with you in his Revolution cheerleaders uniform. (Ah, My Country, Right or Wrong!)

Have a ball.
    Hoist a Tartan Special before the match.
    Knock yourselves out.

Most importantly, let's knock out the Mutts. Something here that we can all agree on.

4. PiwoProsze

PiwoProsze Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Boulder CO
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if we just used big pieces of posterboard to make large nickels? We could wave them when they announce SN during the starting lineup. And if the unthinkable happens and NY/NJ starts to win we can throw them at their cornerkick takers.

5. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It think it a good idea to show the Scottish flag. It will let SN know that we repect him.

May be we should also add Uruguayan, Jamaican, and Grenadian flags too (For Pepe, Kante, and Joseph).

And also the Rev’s flag (Do they even have one?)

6. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    too bad Kante isn't from Jamaica.
    He's from Mali.

7. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I've heard Brad Feldman say a couple of times that Shalrie Joseph is from Grenada.

8. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh he is I must have mistaken with Harris, but he is gone now.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he is, he also has some caps for them.

10. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

How would flying a saltire ahead of the union jack bring sectarianism anywhere?
    Thats ridiculous, the saltire makes up the entire background of the union jack in the first place.
    Trust me, living in England wouldnt do anything for the mans respect or love for his country if that love is there in the first place, only people that feel more "british" tend to prefer the union jack.

11. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being part Scottish, I already have a Scottish flag that I can bring Sunday.

If others are serious about doing this, and will also bring Scottish flags into the Fort, then I'm down for it. I think its a great idea to honor Stevie.

Stevie is also a former Scottish Nat, so I would doubt that he'll be turned away by the sight of the flags.

12. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
  13. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Nicol play for the British national team?

:)

14. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    And everyone could learn the words to "You'll Never Walk Alone".....I think that'd be almost as much of a tribute for SN as a Scottish flag.

15. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't tell if you're kidding or not.

16. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for the record, I'll help hold one of the flags tomorrow, but I wasn't able to get one myself.

Assuming of course, BigFrank doesn't get all anti-Scot on us all and burns them. ;)

17. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and you'll see me with a big yellow MPF sign (metrostars playoff failure)

18. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Nevermind that the game has already been played. His suggestion doesn't have to be a joke. Nicol played for Liverpool. Famously, the song is Liverpool's anthem. I don't know the words myself; maybe there's something in them that would make this sound foolish? If guys in the Fort sang this song at the home opener 2004, after Nicol signed an extension, wouldn't this be a fantastic tribute?

You now have all winter to practice.

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Not too hokey for Kansas City:

[​IMG]

TRhe Magpie

20. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hokey dokey

Since when did KC become an arbitor of style?
    ;)
    Just look at some of those horrid Wiz kits through the years.

Magpie, the Sam's Army placards was a better photo, and a lot less hokey because it surrounded their own country. BTW, I didn't see any Scottish or foreign flags in that photo!

IMO, bringing an American flag, or a flag representing the national origin of the person bringing it, at a MLS game is not too hokey if you are into the whole flag thing.
    Bringing a national flag of a country you have no personal connection with is hokey.
    But that is just my opinion.

As for burning flags, ProfZodiak, the only thing I wanted to see burned were the Mutts playoff chances.
    Mission accomplished there.

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Magpie, the Sam's Army placards was a better photo, and a lot less hokey because it surrounded their own country. BTW, I didn't see any Scottish or foreign flags in that photo!

[​IMG]

Let me see...

Upper-left you have the Jamaican flag, no doubt to honor Wolde Harris...

Upper-right you have the American flag, no doubt to honor those U.S. players on the Wizards roster...

Lower-left you have the Russian flag, no doubt to honor Wizards player Igor Simutenkov

and in the Lower-right you have the South African flag, no doubt to honor Wizards forward Stephen Armstrong...

... shame there isn't a flag for Jorge Vazquez (Argentina).

:)

The Magpie

22. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hey Dorothy, how do you know you're in Kansas?

Still hokey.

But it at least it helps obscure some of those empty seats.

Maybe our crack marketing department can schedule a Flag Day for next season.
    ;)

23. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I was serious, I think it'd be a good tribute.
    From http://www.bhoyfever.co.uk/custom.php?page=ynwa&clubid=2

And you can listen to how it goes here:
    http://www.lutterwoelfe.de/html's/downloads/Fussball - You'll Never Walk Alone.mp3

24. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    As do I. A very good tribute. Your first post was dated one day before the game, leaving scant time for significant prep. I assumed that prompted the comment.

But now comes your latest, and there's all winter to sing away. I've been idly curious about the lyrics myself so I thank you for doing the web-work.