Scottish Clubs (Celtic) in that Europe(R)

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Parkhead_Faithful, Sep 16, 2003.

1. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Re: UEFA Cup matches:

Make that 16th now after they lost 2-1 at home to local rivals Toulouse, who are 18th!!!

I think East Stirling would beat us if we play like we did at Celtic Park again but Bordeaux aren't as good as the Old Firm - even Lyon aren't that good, so we have a good chance of going through (IMO).

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Well Lyon are pretty good talent wise they just underachieve a lot. Bordeaux have done poorly in Europe the last few seasons so they are ripe for your taking plus their poor league form currently as you mentioned. Don't get too cocky though Hearts have a good chance of beating them but you never know what may happen.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    So bad it was almost funny, the blame rests entirely with MON and his decision to play half fit "rugulars" ahead of on fire youngsters, the most dissapointing result since seville.

5. manic jambo

manic jambo New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Edinburgh
    Hopefully thats us back on track now after our convincing 4-1 win over Plastic Whistle today........
    especially after "lying down" to Larsson and his pals last week !!

Good to see Levein giving Kirk a chance from the start and being rewarded with 2 goals.

I think we have a bit of a chance against Bordeaux.
    Time however is on their side to get things right - remember the 2nd leg is still 5 weeks away and I believe they are too good a team to struggle that long although obviously I hope I am wrong.

Incidentally it looks like we will be taking over 3000 to France which is not bad for fans who cant afford the bus fare to Glesgae along with the rest of the Glory and Gloria Hunter family.

Vive Le Jambos !!!!!!

6. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    There goes half the jambo's in edinburgh life savings then.Either that or the DSS office will be jumpin that Thursday, better get in early to beat the rush.
    ;)

7. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    The forces of darkness have gone south tonight to continue making a mockery of scottish clubs good results in these battles of britain, anyone want to guess how many Man U will take off them tonight?

8. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I sincerely hope for a nil-nil draw with 5 red cards on each side, I fully trust the ManUre will defeat the Dark side of the Force 3-1.

9. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm afraid I gave the Dark Side too much credit. Got the ManUre goal total right though.

10. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Taped the MU - Gers game. What a waste of time. What an embarassment for the 'Gers. 'Though I hate the team, I do like McLeish. The look on his face tonight was that of a thouroughly disgusted individual.

Today, hopefully the Bhoys will right the ship and return respectability to the footballing streets of Glasgow city.

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not once, but TWICE!

MUFC crushed Rangers! Ouch! 3-0. Trust me I am not a fan of either club, but would have been nice to see Rangers give Man Utd a lose, for once.

Guess Rangers aren't in the same talent level as MUFC.

12. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Ranger's certainly aren't at the level of man u. I think the need to get some youngsters in the team for future games and start again. Players like Capucho, Mols, Berg, Vanoli and Averladze are not up to the task. Young players like Burke, Ross, Hughes and many more in the U21s and U18s are the only way forward in the club's current financial state.

Celtic should win tonight and i think they probobly will. But they are also going to face the same problem as the gers. Sutton, Larsson, Lennon, Lambert, mjallby won't be doing a good or any sort of job for Celtic next season.

13. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the score 3-0 Celtic over Anderlecht in the 70th minute, Parkhead has all 67,000 supporters break into "Are you Rangers in disguise?"

14. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As he limps off they are singing "There's only one Liam Miller"

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Finally...

a nice win for the Bhoys...BTW what the hell does Bhoys refer to?

16. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Finally...

Its just a way to approximate the way boys is pronounced in that part of the world.

17. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Fantastic performance,we shouldnt have sat back so much in the second half though as we could have took 5 off of em before one liam miller(how he's refered to these days) got taken off, even hartson and varga didnt look like big lummoxes.

18. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Talking of fantastic performances...

Bordeaux 0-1 Hearts (De Vries '79)

Played defensive, conceded few chances (one off the post, three good saves) and then got the winner off an isolated set piece.

19. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Jambos take another step towards the UEFA Cup final with a win over Bordeaux in France. :)

It was a very strange match with Hearts playing 5-4-1, constantly sitting back and making sure Bordeaux didn't score - which they didn't.

I think we had two chances and scored from one of them! (we should also have had a penalty when Neilson was fouled)

Steven Pressley marshalled the defence brilliantly and young Craig Gordon in goal pulled off some magnificent saves.

20. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Cracking result for Hearts, but the job's not done yet...

Good luck for the 2nd leg (and here's hoping they're too tired to perform well against Aberdeen on Sunday ;) )

21. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Well, bless their... um, Hearts. It's good for the league to see TWO teams from Scotland doing well in Europe. Wonder if the 'Gers can find the wherewithal to take three from Stuttgart and then beat the Greeks at home.

Personally, I'm looking forward to welcoming Mr. Khan to Paradise. I've had it in for that bastard since USA - Germany. I hope Hartson breaks his freakin' legs. I'd give almost anything to be at the game, or even be able to see it live for that matter. :(

22. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes two of us -- I think my local will have it.

23. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I was very impressed with hearts, i felt they should have been less defensive too though, good result to take home anway.
    I was watching it in edinburgh airport waiting for a flight to heathrow when they scored and I had to wait the entire weekend to get back to find out the result!

24. manic jambo

manic jambo New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Edinburgh
    Bear in mind that most of this current team are very inexperienced in Europe. Had we been less defensive we probably would have lost 3 or 4 -1.
    Levein got his tactics spot-on. If you have good defensive players in your team then unfortunately when you are up against supposed better quality opposition you have to use them.

Its similar to our meetings with the old firm.

If we try to have a go against Celtic/Rangers we usually end up getting hammered. If we sit in and defend,maybe lose 1 or 2-0 we get slagged off for being boring/defensive.

We do not have a strong enough team to compete with the old firm and Europes better teams so we have to look after ourselves and if that means winning 1-0 away from home in Bordeaux then so be it.

The home game is far from being a formality though.....still work to be done

25. manic jambo

manic jambo New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Edinburgh