scott playing defense for mexico?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by luvdagame, Aug 4, 2002.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    got the link from an mls thread that gave links for soccer articles online. this is a houston paper i think.

--------------------------------------------------
    quote:

Mexico's under-20 national team includes defender Randi Scott whose father is American and married a Mexican national. Scott plays for one of Guadalajara's Mexican pro clubs, Tecos.
    --------------------------------------------------

we need defenders! is he a good player that we let get away? did he simply choose to play for mexico? would he not make our u20 team? anybody with the lowdown on this?

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    If he grew up in Mexico I'd say there's no way we're gonna swing this one. If he grew up here then I'd say we have a chance.

3. SeismicShift

SeismicShift Red Card

Jul 8, 2002
    Rather flattering...10 years ago we were scouring the earth for anyone that played soccer and had possibilities of being able to get an Ami passport.

heh, we should be careful now of maybe europeans or brasilians coming here to recruit--not for their CLUBS, but rather their NATS

i actually hope this scott kid becomes a regular for the tris senior(ita) squad--then playing them in another WC quarter final--the thought is giving me goosebumps.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Apparently when he plays for Mexico Randi uses the Spanish-Latin American tradition of adding his mother's sir name to his last name. In his case, that's Randi Scott Hernandez.

Here's a link to a roster of camp the El Tri 20s had in May listing him as such.

http://www.femexfut.org.mx/selecciones/u-20/conv1.htm

According to the box score from Saturday's US-Mexico U20 game, Randi Scott Hernandez did not play. However, a "Randy Santana" is listed in the box score. Given that Randi (or Randy) is not that common a name among Latinos, what are the odds the official scorekeper made a mistake and the player in question is actually Randi Scott?

Of course, there could be 2 players with the same anglo first name and a different spelling on the Mexican U20 team, but it would be kind of surprising.

5. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    #6 RANDY SCOTT SANTANA HERNANDEZ (TECOS)

6. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    Is he officially cap tied to Mexico yet? If so, It would be odd watching him play for the tri's. If we post in Yanks aboard, we could probably get more info.

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if he plays for them in the upcoming qualifiers for the WYC or the WYC itself next March.