Post-match: Scotland vs USA

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bungadiri, May 26, 2012.

1. KZ Man

KZ Man Member

Jun 12, 2006
    NoVa
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is that Donovan kid? ;)

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5=avg

the starters:
    Howard (5) Not tested much
    Cherundolo (5.5) Solid performance offensively, average on defense.
    Johnson (7) Best USMNT LB of all time???
    Cameron (4.5) Note that i deducted 2pts for the own goal, but was good for the rest of the game. I want to see more.
    Bocanegra (6.5) typical, good game from the Capt...still not tested that often.
    Edu (6.5) good defensive work put in.
    Jones (8) very good game on both sides of the field and nice goal too.
    Bradley (10) Zidane-esque performance...yeah, i said it. he was that awesome tonight. And what a goal. It's hard to think that he isn't playing for a Champions League contender caliber team.
    Donovan (10) hatrick + assist + set up other goal. And all around excellent performance. Hard to think of any single better performance from any USMNT player.
    Torres (7) Love his ability to control the ball and nifty little passes. A thorn in Scotland's side all night.
    Boyd (7) Boyd is really growing on me. He has a lot of potential, and i think it is justified to be excited about his future. It's not glimpses, it's the whole package...he has the making of a world class forward. More, his hunger and energy is what i really credit for our performance tonight. he was a handful for the scottish defenders the whole game. The only thing i can knock him for tonight is for him to compose himself better on the ball...but i believe this will come with more experience. Just don't lose that 'eye of the tiger,' Boyd.

Note: This is actually the first time i ever handed out a "10" before for any US player.

the subs:
    Onyewu-(6) Not tested and not noticed. But that's a good sign for a CB.
    Beckerman-(6) came in and we didn't lose a beat.
    Gomez-(5) Maybe we took our foot off the gas when he came in, but we seemed to lose some of that threat once he entered. However, i'll say i notice some good movement off the ball and i'm still excited to see more.
    Castillo- (5) He didn't do anything wrong, but wasn't really pressured either. Still, i would like to see some more composure out of defenders.
    Corona (3.5) The only player who i was not impressed with tonight. He came in and ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Still, first cap. I'll give some slack.
    Guzan-N/R did he even touch the ball?

the coach
    Klinsmann (10) 5-1 against a highly respectable team. Loved the formation, loved the subs, love the style of play-offensively and defensively. You honestly could not have asked for better.

the team as a whole (9)
    I was thoroughly impressed with the team. They deserve every praise they get tonight. They played as a cohesive unit that defends as a whole and attacks with pace, numbers, and more importantly, with a sense of purpose.

Berks and Bees Knees repped this.
  3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    2, Cameron and Donovan.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It was Donovan. The pretty move was by Jones, who left it ready for Mike's shot. But the initial pass that sliced through their DMs was Landon's.

5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the point? It's not as if Scotland had a team tonight that would require El Salvador to try harder in order to drum 'em.

blacksun repped this.
  6. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Scotland couldn't really do anything. Not sure why their fans were so confident. They're not very good.

7. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus a few subs, and Torres from Mexico. But like the announcers were saying, the bulk of the team plays in Europe.

8. Maurice Dollars

Maurice Dollars ¡Arriba Perú, carajo!

Jan 11, 2011
    Lima, Perú
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I was at that game. Mostly to watch Ronaldinho and Kaka in their primes, but yeah, it was entertaining.

From what I saw, you seem to have something figured out under Klinsmann. Didn't see Scotland even come close to scoring. I wouldn't get too carried away, though, take it at face value. Good job!

9. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

10. tyler storm

tyler storm Red Card

May 20, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so whats gonna happen to Chandler? Have we found a permanent replacement now for him? or do we still need him? and if not, will he represent Germany?

11. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good player so I'd hate to lose him. Even if we don't need him. Can never have too much depth.

12. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is definitely NOT how the USA played tonight.

wsmaugham repped this.
  13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Boyd 7, gomez 5 - interesting, I thought Gomez had one of the nicest most quick minded penultimate passes I've seen out of the CF position or the USA to set up the last goal. Was Boyd involved in any goal at all?

Note: The announcers were awful. They never identified the players. It was an embarassment. the foreign guy announced the Scots but our guy was F-.

Rating for NBC - minus 10.

14. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was worried about our attack when I saw 3 defensive minded mids with Torres, but wow. Bradley and Jones were absolutely fantastic, both ways. There should be no doubt that they start at CM in whatever formation we play. Donovan clinical, Torres was tidy (but how did he miss that free kick?), Edu was meh. Johnson and Cherundolo looked solid, providing some much needed width on occasion. Boyd should've scored, but did fine for such an inexperienced player. Would love to see that formation used in qualifiers (maybe not against Brazil) with Alitdore up top, Dempsey on the left, Torres pushed back with Edu on the bench. I have to say it again - Bradley and Jones, superb!

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the announcers were weak. But as far as identifying the players, I hope the US shirt numbers will be darker in the future. The soft grey numbers are useless. My only complaint about the US tonight.

16. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Besides, he's a RB primarily right? I like FJ in the LB role better and Chandler would be good on the other end.

Eleven Bravo and Mr Martin repped this.
  17. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beyond Scotland playing against a higher quality US opponent accustomed to playing in World Cups, haggis-deprived, jet-lagged, heat-exhausted, brain-fart impaired, and stone cold pissed likely played no factor. Saying Scotland played in the very first international match against England is a British version of saying Rutgers played in the very first American football game. :rolleyes:

18. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scotland was wretched tonight. If that team had a single idea during the match, it must've been about how to get on the bus early to beat the crowd home. Hard to know how much of that was the US' playing well, and how much of it was their just stinking up the joint. Still, nice to see the US moving the ball quickly and purposefully. We still haven't played a meaningful game under Klinsmann, but I'm not as worried about WCQs as I was six months ago.

19. tio_sam

tio_sam Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We made Scotland look real slow and overmatched at times. Scotland looked like Canada circa 1996. In fact, I am pretty sure Canada could have beat Scotland today. I am really happy with everyone's performance except for Castillo. He looked awful for the 10 seconds he was in the game.

20. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure he played RM more this season.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx, neems, EXALIFTIN and 2 others repped this.
  22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Johnson left back. Have we finally solved that problem?

23. SOCCERMARINE

SOCCERMARINE Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we can attack a tad bit more than we did during the Italy game, then we may just have a chance against this Brazil Side, which to me with all due respect does not look super impressive, but very good nonetheless

24. Busquets

Busquets New Member

May 26, 2012
    Barcelona, Spain.
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Although Scotland were very poor tonight and are usually much better than that, I would still think the Scottish fans would want to see the back of Levein, he has been quite poor whilst in charge of them.

25. SuperChivo

SuperChivo Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good God, can we put this Bob/Jurgi stupidity to rest now? Whatever you thought of Bob as a coach, the team was incredibly successful under him. Now the baton has been handed to Jurgi and let's hope that he keeps up the good work and maybe helps us to continue to improve.

Stan Collins, superdave, ebbro and 5 others repped this.