Scotland or Italy?

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by scd84, May 4, 2003.

1. scd84

scd84 Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Columbus
    Alright, long story short, I have the opportunity to go to Europe later this month and its down to either Scotland or Italy (with focus on Venice). The trip will only be about 7-10 days. Which should I do???? Thanks for the help.

2. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Ok, there's more than enough in either country to keep you going for longer than your alloted holiday.

I know I'll upset my Kilt-wearing friends but, I'd go for Italy.

Nicer weather, huge amounts to see, lovely (but expensive if based in Venice) food.
    Top women blah blah blah.

Scotland has enough for a week easily, Italy has enough for a year easily.

All depends where you've been before too.

If you're one for the great outdoors, the Scottish Highlands would be for you. There's great walking country out there.

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    italy...venice is amazing. such a great city...

although having not been to scotland i guess i am a little bit biased in my opinion, so take it for what it is worth...

4. scd84

scd84 Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Columbus
    It's gonna be Italy, but now I need to split up the week of time there between Rome and Venice (with one of the days in Rome spent in Pompeii). Any must-do things in Rome and Venice? What would you recommend for splitting time between the two?

5. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Tough call. I love Scotland and would go back at the drop of a hat. There certainly is more to do or see in Italy, it is significanly bigger after all. Still there's good beer and whisky in Alba and the Highland's are breathtaking. Did I mention the beer and whisky?

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been to Germany twice and France once. Given your choices, I'd take Italy. I like exploring different cultures. I'd learn some Italian and see a lot, and try to meet some natives. It's also warmer there.

7. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Yes.

Actually, I don't know what to tell you. I passed on my last opportunity to go to Italy because it was only for a few days and I wanted to wait until I a) spoke at least a few sentences of Italian, which I don't and b) had time to spend at least 2 weeks there. 7-10 days, though, is a fair amount of time.

I haven't even made it to the highlands, though but I still LOVE what I've seen of Scotland. And I drank my way through the countryside, but that's part of the attraction, no?

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    see this thread...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=46326

it should help ya out!

9. furie

furie Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to Venice
    you don't want to end up like Buggy Ding Dong, do you?