School Of Rock [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SABuffalo786, Oct 15, 2003.

1. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Now, I wasn't expecting Emmy-worthy perfomances, but I expected a LOT more.

To be frank, this movie blew. Hard.

I softly chuckled maybe once or twice. That's it. It had an ending that nearly was as corny as Anger Management, and that's saying something.

What really pissed me off was that everyone was saying how funny it was, and how Jack Black was so great.

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed it for what it was .... it was a no-brainer, more geared towards the kids. I had a fun time.

I'm not waiting to run out and buy it on dvd or anything, but I had a good time.

and with jack black, you know what you're gonna get before you walk in the door .......

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

But that's the thing, the guy could be doing ANYTHING and he could make me laugh.

Except this time, it was just.......I don't know, old?

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I could see that.

Jack black is a one-trick pony (like sandler, dead faty guy ... farley, rob schneider) and maybe this is the movie where you've finally seen enough of him.

who knows?

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Same here. I didn't think Richard Linkletter could pull it off as well as he did, actually, as it's hard to do this sort of comedy without it becoming sickeningly cute, and it's easy to imagine someone else filming certain scenes in ways that do just that.

Personally, I thought Joan Cusack helped Linkletter quite a bit. If her character doesn't come across the way she does, the film is just a slight variation the old college comedies from teh 50s and 60s, where the stick-up-the-a$$ Dean is the butt of all the jokes.

So for me: decent comedy, some good stuff, won't buy the DVD but I can imagine renting it a year or so down the line... at which time I reserve the right to change my current favorable opinion of the movie.