Schelotto might be available

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ngower, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
  2. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Schelotto of today is not the Schelotto of 2 or 3 years ago. Worse knees + playing on Foxboro grass means that he'd be less valuable to us than he'd be to the Crew. We'd be able to play him fewer minutes.

On the one hand we could find a better use for $300,000. On the other hand, at the start of the season we'll probably have $300,000 in cap room.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way they go after him, especially with the fake turf at Gillette.

4. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    i want to know why he didn't play in the playoffs.

i can't imagine the Revs resting a healthy SJ, Reis or Twellman in a playoff.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a shocking move (to me) by Warzycha.

He did play in the second game btw.

6. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    exactly. there has to be a story, that makes it less shocking. and probably explains why they are low balling (or is it low balling?).

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great player with horrid knees that knows he can't handle playing on turf. NO WAY should we try to sign him.

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His form in the latter part of the season is pretty much why the Crew struggled down the stretch. Yes, he scored two goals in the 2nd leg, one which was a beauty, but his play during that game was awful.

I expect the Revs to pass unless the Crew want Thompson for him.

9. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been offered a new contract with Columbus, but at a drastic pay cut, bringing him below $300K. I have a feeling if he were ever going to sign with another MLS team, it would be for DP money, which I doubt many team would be willing to pay at this stage in his career.

10. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We need to bid $300,001 and hope it's not over.

[​IMG]

11. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL I love these threads that are hopefull of the Revs doing anything beyond drafting a few players, and signing some unknown players from abroad. They are so cute.

12. el Rafaa

el Rafaa Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Somewhere in MA
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    the guy is like 36 isn't he? too bad he is not a few years younger.

13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get it. Why would any of you "realist" :rolleyes: want to sign a guy with glass knees who has made it clear all this last season that he feels he's incapable of playing on turf? This isn't about signing him to your playstation team. We play on turf. He doesn't play on turf and you talk about wanting to sign him. I don't get it.

14. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can still use him for only the away games against teams who play on grass. He gets to rest is weak old knees while we play home games, and then come out and help steal three points while on the road. :D

15. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rkupp told me that turf doesn't hurt ur knees more, so i believe him.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Whatever. I think the bias against field turf is based on outdated experiences. The rubber pellets give it a lot of cushion and your cleats don't "stick" like the old carpets. All I know is that I'm down a good bit of cartilage on both sides and I feel a lot better after playing on the turf.

And, there's quite a bit of research now which shows very similar injury rates (with slightly different distribution by type) between turf and grass.

If Schelotto or any other pro thinks they can't play on field turf, but can on grass, they're full of it...

17. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're right. professionals who play on these surfaces year round, for a living, know less than someone whose soccer career is limited to mens leagues and posting on bigsoccer.

as for the 'research' i've seen it both ways, and from both sides. so i dont believe either of it. if a pro says he can't play on it, then he can't play on it. whether the risk is real or not, they know more than you about what they can and cant do.

18. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you Doc...

Yea, he's probably got some good games left in him. But, he's not worth a big payday just to hope that he'll garner some wins for us. Will he bump attendance?

He's a great player...but def. not worth it..not on our plywood pitch!

19. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    yes, this was the rational when we passed on him the first time. we all know that was soooo stupid, duh.

ur are just as short sited as Nicol was.

how do you know he wont be awesome until he's 45?

you people saying the same thing every year, he's too old hes past it, and you will be right some day he can't play for ever we all know and then start a thread saying I TOLD YOU SO, WHY HAVE YOU NOT POSTED RECENTLY.

20. el Rafaa

el Rafaa Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Somewhere in MA
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I think he would significantly bump the attendance, but probably not enough to compensate for the money invested.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even sure what the hell you just said here …

But if I understand … I've already said no to bringing him here now. And yes, I was one of the proponents of bringing him in two years ago.

So what's your point again?

22. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see it a different way than I've seen posted. Assuming the Revs are honestly thinking about bringing back Janny for ~240K, would Guillermo be a better or worse signing at 300K? They're very different players, but Schelotto might be the better deal of the two.

23. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    you should know by now. i have been fairly consistent in not having a point eh?

24. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    The thread has repeated two assertions which might be true, but I can't tell if people are citing a souirce are just repeating each other:
    1. GBS has knees that can't survive another MLS season, and
    2. He can't or won't play on artificial turf.

This all started when these were given as arguments for why SN passed on him, rather than hiring him.

Are there sources for these statements, or are people guessing? Did he miss a significant part of this past season because of injury?

25. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During one of the playoff broadcasts, the announcers stated that the coach believed that GBS had been able to weather the season well because he had kept him out of games where the home team played on turf. He basically didn't play on turf this year, didn't train on turf this year, and managed to make it through the season.