Schalke transfer thread

Discussion in 'FC Schalke 04' started by P to the Wee, Dec 6, 2013.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's arguable ready for the first team (not the starting 11). He's already played for the senior Romanian NT, and has logged 388 absolutely spectacular minutes of first team football. He may be 16 years old, but by all accounts he's one of the best 16 year old players in the world. There's tremendous competition for his signature.

2. logout

logout Member

Jun 29, 2006
    3 million is still a bit rich for a 16 years old (talent!). We need players who can immediately improve our game, like KPB. As for talents, we have enough of our own.

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends, if he could contribute next season as a 17/18 year old, then 3 million might be worth it.

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. logout

logout Member

Jun 29, 2006
    :ROFLMAO:

6. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, we would. 8m is laughable.

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25 million euros is his release clause, no? I feel like someone would have to pony up that money if they want him. Of course those that can afford 25 million euors couldn't guarantee him minutes, so I don't think Meyer is a concern this summer.

8. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kicker reporting that Szalai has asked to leave.

9. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kicker is just bad. Even more so now, when all the good staff is in Brazil. I won't rule out that Szalai might leave, he might even be initiating it but I think it unlikely to happen. Can't see us selling him for cheap and hardly anybody will be willing to pay the 8m we did.

Yes, the press reports the release clause at 25,5m € but there are some serious doubts if the number is right. I base it mainly on Heldt's statement at a press conference after Meyer signed the new contract. He told how he had trouble sleeping after some clubs were interested in signing Draxler shortly after he signed his new contract with the 45m clause. Heldt said he won't have trouble sleeping with Meyer's contract, which, at least to me, hints at a higher clause than even Draxler's.

Don't know what is true. Don't think you can just dismiss the media articles because the number is mentioned so regularly and without anybody official disagreeing with it but I remain skeptical. Maybe Meyer has an escalating clause, f.e. it rises for every 30 Bundesliga matches or similar benchmarks.

10. Schalkoholic

Schalkoholic Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Siegen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Kicker isnt that bad,remember their story Rafinha signed for FC Bauern. He finally did :)

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like the 8 million pound figure being quoted for Meyer was actually supposed to be 18 million pounds. That's just shy of 23 million Euros. It sounds like these bids might be serious. I still think Heldt will ask for the full buyout amount, whatever that is.

I dread having to go get a replacement. Draxler could play the 10, but I imagine we'd have to sign someone else. That's always a risky proposition.

12. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess there is a possibility that Meyer might leave if the clause really sits at 25m and Liverpool already offered 22-23m. They would be stupid if they drop it because of the 2m difference.

Don't know when Heldt would consider selling him, if the clause is quite a bit higher. I think once you pass 30m you have to seriously consider it. That is a shitload of money for an 18 year old.

I'm a bit cautious here because we regularly seem to miss opportunities to sell players at the right time. They either leave later for a pittance (see Rakitic or Poulsen), get injured (Mpenza or Papa) or start to suck that you wish them gone.

That said, I would keep him until they either pay the full clause or at least reach 40m, which nobody will be willing to pay.

Draxler as the 10 would be fine. I've reached the conclusion that he is far better centrally than on the wings. We only play him there because our other wing options suck while we have good alternatives centrally. Wish we could have gotten Stocker instead of Hertha. Granted I've never seen him play, but he sounds pretty nice in the discriptions and especially at that price.

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan Ayew was pretty awful against the US. Just sayin.

14. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks like we will sign Choupo-Moting anyway.

Tom Collingsworth and LongDuckDong repped this.
  15. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #140 Epitome990, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Ayew is rather overrated. I'd much rather have Choupo-Moting, who can also play striker in case Szalai does move.

Do you guys see a spot for Christian Clemens next season? Avdjaj and Sane are also on the rise. Perhaps a loan out would be beneficial for Clemens to get more match practice coming back from injury.

16. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't see much playing time for Clemens at the moment. There were rumours a while back that he might go back to Cologne but I haven't read anything new for some time.

Heldt need to sell some players, if Choupo-Moting really signs. We can spare 2-3 players in the right positions. It's not just important for team chemistry but also for our youngsters to get enough playing time.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine Sane is already ahead of Clemens in the wing pecking order, thus Clemens will almost certainly get loaned out. If we do end up signing Choupo-Moting, this is what our depth chart will look like:

Striker: Huntelaar, Choupo-Moting, Szalai
    10: Draxler, Meyer
    Wing: Draxler, Farfan, Sam, Choupo-Moting, Goretzka, Sane
    Double Pivot (8): Boateng, Goretzka, Hoger
    Double Pivot (6): Neustaedter, Ayhan, Kirchoff, Hoger, Aogo, Matip
    LB: Kolasinac, Aogo
    RB: Uchida, Howedes
    CB: Howedes, Matip, Ayhan, Santana

Players not mentioned will probably not play at all, so I imagine they'll be loaned or sold. I also think we might sell Santana, if the rag rumors are true. We always have Kirchoff and Ayhan to cover there.

Tom Collingsworth, Homa and Epitome990 repped this.
  18. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice gig for him. Should be a good signing for Fulham.

20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Fulham be a promotion favorite next year? I really don't know much about the Championship.

21. logout

logout Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Maybe we could get Suarez now for some small change..

22. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't know the Championship either. Just think a stint in England is a nice experience for him, especially in London. I'm sure he is getting paid pretty well at Fulham, too.

23. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Btw the extension with Veltins for the naming rights of the Veltins-Arena have been finalized. We are getting roughly 6m per year for the next 5 years. That is a decent bump from the 4m or so we got previously.

Suarez wouldn't help us, if he is banned for a couple of months.

24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about that Jones guy. He scored a nice goal the other night :p

An that Matip, he's a natural born goal scorer. I think I found our Szalai replacement.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't even realize we had a Schalke specific forum. I'll have to start posting here.