SBFC v. Chicago, Aug 1 - did you see the match?

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by nightofrefs, Aug 1, 2010.

1. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Was out of town, did not see this 1-2 match in person or via webcast.

Pls provide your critical analysis/frustration/appreciation/shock/2 cents here.

2. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The two things that are bothering me the most are 1) The lack of teamwork as a total team unit. 2) Our defense being as easy as a loose girl on prom night. Christie's really got to step in there and make that work as a rough and tough unit. That first goal was SLOPPY. When I looked there were two of our players on the Masar, and you could see one was like "You go here and I'll go there." Other player "Huh." *blown coverage* sloppy goal.

I also feel that some players are giving their all and others aren't. I also don't like how I feel like the midfield is useless. It doesn't work together. It doesn't hold the ball very well. It doesn't get the ball up to get the fowards involved. It doesn't get back fast enough to defend. I think speed is a major issue for this team at the moment. I also found it odd how they didn't play wide to stretch Chicago out and to open up more space to create better chances.

There were some flashes of promise. The very few chances the fowards received they were trying to break their necks to put the ball in the net. Branam back in net is a huge help, but she can't stop everything. She's going to need some help.

If we keep playing like this we won't make the playoffs, and quite frankly it wouldn't be like we deserved to either. Those women need to wake up and smell the coffee. The fans are doing all they can, management made the moves, now it's time to step up and play like a team.

Once again I ask. How can you have all the parts of a BMW and run like a freakin Hooptie? Give me the rag tag players they had last season because at least they showed up to play when it mattered.

3. Wiebel

Wiebel New Member

May 17, 2010
    Belgium
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You can also see that they lack confidence (actually don't have any confidence anymore) after all those loses. Defense almost pees in their pants when they see the other team attack. Which results in extremely crappy defending. That first goal looked so ridiculous.
    Anyway that lack of confidence affects to whole team. Their game looks so messy. At least they're trying to attack but it looks like nothing....no cohesion whatsoever.

And you're right when you say that it seems like some players are giving their all and others aren't. Because even when you have no confidence you still can run and work as hard as you can, but it seems some players just don't feel like doing all they can for the team.

And then there is the pressure which they have to deal with now too, not being in the playoff spots. I really hope they can make a click in their heads otherwise it's going to be a quite humiliating season...

4. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Specific players, please?

I have never seen Koster play less than 100%... which players look like (because we can't get inside players' heads, after all) they are giving all, which look lackluster - and provide examples if possible.

Also, is coach Rick doing anything incredibly different than Pauliina did, or is it basically more of the same? Does it seem it was a good move to change coaches?

5. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It doesn't matter who. What matters is that not everyone is trying. (If I'm not mistaken Koster was one of the two players who blanked on Masar) The issue of teamwork IMO doesn't have too much to do with the coaching. I'm happy with Rick, he's doing what he can. He seems to be encouraging them to push foward. It's only not working because the PLAYERS can't get the ball up the field. When they do the defense falls alsleep and get burned on counters. This team really needs to find away to keep the ball, pass effectively, and score. They also need to create a solid defense focused on keeping anything and everything out.

6. m dre

m dre New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    That wasn't Koster, I think it was Rampone and Dowling, because Koster was playing right back.

7. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Finally got my hands on a replay. You're right Koster wasn't one of the two who screwed the pooch. :) She didn't get back into her position until after the goal was scored.

Dowling and Rampone were both on the same side of the player. Dowling should have went to the other side to cut that lane off. When she finally did it was too late and all she "could" do was stand and watch the ball hit the net.