SBC 2020, US vs Spain on March 8

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Mar 7, 2020.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazyhorse sees through Seminole colored glasses and Short went to Florida State. If Dunn gets moved up to forward, then a position opens up that Short might fill. Therefore if the coaches knew what they were doing, they would play Dunn at forward and give the defender slot to Short. And, they also would know how obvious it is that Short is better than Sonnett. That's so obvious that there must be some reason other than merit on the field, if Sonnett makes the roster and Short doesn't. Glasses like that (they're not limited to Seminole colors) will do that to you.;)

Crazyhorse repped this.
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, her first touch tonight was a turnover-- on a back pass, no less.

Maybe he could post on the Fla State forum or something, instead of faking it as a USWNT fan here? :(

I mean, if nothing else, Short deserves better.

3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are adequate, just not technically up there with true defenders. Dunn is an attacker with world class mobility and speed playing defender.

4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The snark is strong in this one and I love it cp!

5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Faking what? I love the US team!

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Doesn't seem like you have much affection for the style of play that brought them two world cups.

Not if you want to replace our outside backs with "true defenders."

7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are mistaken with your assumptions.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting comment from Press on the differences between Andonovski and Ellis (made after the Spain match, which is why I'm posting it here; comment in this Equalizer article): “He definitely has more gray area in his tactics of decision-making. It’s like, you get the ball, you might want to do this, you might want to do that. With Tony and Jill, we were in a very regimented system which provided a lot of clarity for players but then didn’t necessarily allow everyone’s individual talents to shine. Some people, absolutely; others less. So, there’s a bit of a freedom now with less thinking about what you should be doing and just kind of doing what you want.”

Namdynamo and kolabear repped this.
  9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That would be the definition of a world class fullback in the modern game. A more than adequate defender that can add speed and mobility to play a big role in the attack.

taosjohn repped this.
  10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely, but more specifically RARE, Dunn is a one in a million player and does not come around much at all.

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually as i have thought about this (and almost pulled a brain cell because my brain was not properly "hydrated" ) I have thought that the current US squad has some real similarities to the squad of '99. Just a couple are Dunn is a lot like Chastain in that she is a very good defender that can get forward and add a LOT to the offensive effort. Ertz is a solid monster in defensive mid with the ability to distribute the ball as well as any and extremely dangerous on set pieces like Akers was in the day.

There are many many others that can be favorably compared with that team.

Also they are deep and their skills are a complement of each other.

The only place this team fails to compare favorably is goalkeeper. You don't suppose Short has hidden goalkeeper abilities, do you? I really would like to get her on the field without moving Dunn out of the position where I believe she contributes the most. I really like her hair!!!

In order to make a small roster like the one for the Olympics, assuming the Olympics are still going to be held, nearly every player needs to cover at least two positions and, right now , Short does not do that. :(

Crazyhorse repped this.
  12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Press reminds me a lot of Millie in that she's most dangerous running side to side along the 16...

jnielsen repped this.
  13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true.

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    InStat stats (not sure how much of this tweet thread will show, so click through):

kolabear and Namdynamo repped this.