SAVE THE DATE: SEPT. 5 - Q & A with RAY HUDSON

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ZackDCU, Sep 1, 2002.

1. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I am suprised no one has commented on this, which seems to me to be a big revelation. Do you mean that DCU has already decided/been notified that someone's leaving?

Thanks for the summary.

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: SAVE THE DATE: SEPT. 5 - Q & A with RAY HUDSON

Talon. That freeloading waste is gone.

3. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    That would be GooseGirl.

Paul Sotoudeh (sp?), yes?

Oh, I felt that the juxtaposition thoroughly cleared up the question of who he had meant when he originally made the remark earlier in the season when he said something about having made a mistake in taking advice. Very interesting, given that when Roy came, Ray said a good deal about how some of the vets on the team had recommended the move because RL would be good in the locker room.

Yes, that was interesting. Also that for some time after the hernia op, Bobby felt the same way; I think Ray said it was only a week or so ago that Bobby had remarked to him that he felt he was really up to spanking the ball.

Also, the whole shooting from the outside thing. Ray said that he and the rest of the coaching staff had been trying to drill it into players' heads to do that since Day One this season. Givne how infrequently our guys are willing to do that, it's a painful commentary on how much they're listening to the coaches.

Ray stood up big time for Richie. I wouldn't say he was unequivocal about keeping him, but he hemmed and hawed a bit about the idea of finding a guy to go forward from D mid, although he admitted it would be a possibility.

Ray also said a good deal about recognizing talent (comparing Marco and Preki) and using players for what they are, rather than always looking for stars who are going to shine under all circumstances.

And he emphasized again and again the constriction imposed by the salary cap. He really couldn't emphasize that enough, and contrasted his position (forcefully) with that of a coach/GM in a nonMLS club, where you could bring in and dismiss players based solely on your own circumstances. Towards the end, in the discussion of foreign prospects, he ever said that some of the players they had looked at were lost because United could not make a deal fast enough, which suggested to me that having to do everything throught he league office handicaps making nonblockbuster foreign deals.

I will say (and Kim can jeer at me for being Dadlike) that it would have been nice if two people had not tried to dominate the entire discussion. There were a ton of people there with questions, and most folks were polite enough to ask one, get the answer, and wait their turn for a followup. Two people (and you know who you are) insisted on asking question after question and getting into extended arguments and justifications of their opinions. Guys, BS is here for you every day. If you want to have your say, make it here. We were there to hear Ray last night, and you kept other people who were waiting patiently from getting a question in.

P.S. Interesting that the one comment I heard Kaspar make all night was in response to a question about "how can LA, NJ, etc. be talking about signing more big names [various EPL and WC names were mentioned] and DC always has this salary cap problem?" Ray said, "Well, yes, we have the cap and we have to live with it" which didn't really answer the question, then handed the mike to Kaspar, who said, "They would have to move a player," handed the mike back to Ray, and sat down again. :)

P.P.S. Early in the session, and bout three cell phones went off, one of which proved to be Ray's. He answered, said something like "Yeah, sweetie, I'm kinda busy right now; I'll call you later," and put it away. There was some general laughter, and he said, "Yeah, that was Trask..." :D

4. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

uhhh.....let me guess....was one of 'em named "sormun"?

5. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8

One of thos people was asking questions from displaced fans or those who could not attend. The questions were posted on B.S.

6. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Unfortunatly, school ran late on me and I made it there too late to see My Man Ray. Thanks to all who made Mrs. Brother feel at home and take care of her in my absence. Heck, even Ray sat at the bar with her and chatted it up with her. Thanks Ray!! It really made her day. I hope United has more of these events. I think it is great that Mr. Zack and the rest of United gives us the fans such interaction with the club.

Once again, thanks!

ps: Sorry G. Rex, I didnt get to ask your question concerning the stars. ; )

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Thanks for all the summaries. I would have liked to have been there myself (if only for the free beer), but alas ...

I have to say that I think this was a really classy gesture by the folks at DC United in general and, in particular, Ray Hudson.

8. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the pizza!

GM

9. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    No shortage of optimism there!

10. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for the summaries all. It's nice to see the big guys at DCU answering the fans concerns directly. Very smart PR move.

11. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I must say I had a very excellent and drunken time last night. I had totally forgotten how much fun can be had at the Lounge on Thursday nights. And Dave I'm sorry you missed Ray. Give Mrs. Brother my best.

Rich

12. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Thank you guys not to throw me out! I tell you the truth, I was impressed by the general "buuuuu.."
    when I revealed my identity !! That means I was not ignored.Thank you !!

It was a pleasant night.I like the passion, that Ray is showing, for the players.I think he is really suffering because this season nightmare.

I have to confess: I was in the midle of asking my question when a "thought" struck me :" we are still playing games !!" O boy,o boy all the questions about the players are pure mistakes.Ray cannot answer those questions, as long as, the team is still on the field.I just believe the timing of this discussion was bad.

About my problem with the midfield : basically he told us that he is gonna spent a lot of sleepless nights thinking about that, in the future.Two hints:
    first, he is thinking to have a left and right wing,Convey and Olsen ,giving Convey another chance next year.Secondly, the future midfield is gonna be with Ech or without him, it depends on Ech's decision.

I was delighted to learn that Ray agrees, we need a " hairy Bulgarian " in the midfield, taking into account that we have too many "puberty" future great players.He said, for the moment we are not taking new teenagers players,we have enough of those, at this time.He also fairlly weighted the pros and cons of having very young players on the team.

I enioyed the evening, sorry I couldn't stay longer for a friendly chat, I hope we will met next time around !!!

13. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    sounds like it was a great time.

14. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    sormun, I'm glad you got to ask your questions and have them answered in a truthful manner. I've read all your posts thru out the season and I think that you are a very passionate, yet realistic fan as far as our team goes.
    While I don't think anybody on this forum will argue with you that our midfield has been sub-standard, I think that you should also recognize that we are pretty much handcuffed as far as salary is concerned. A wholesale change is not only disruptive to team chemistry, but economically unfeasable. Next season will surely bring about major changes, but if you reconstruct the entire midfield, we will be starting all over again.
    Who want's to wait another year or two to get our shi.t together again?I dont, do you? I think the next four games will show us alot.
    The one encouraging sign I've seen is that this team has not given up. The same can not be said of Rongen's teams. Stand by the team, I Think they will surprise you................Chico

15. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the actions indicated in Ray's Q&A session at the Lounge has apparently come to pass.

GM