Savarese

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by jetset1106, Aug 17, 2002.

1. jetset1106

jetset1106 New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Dix Hills, NY
    I don't understand why we do not have Giovanni Saverese. When Mathis went down, we needed a goal scorer. We looked futile. Even after tonight's game with Clint, we still look lifeless. Saverese, who is not only an excellent goal scorer, is a fan favorite. He is doing NOTHING. Sign him, please. Maybe we will get to the MLS Cup Final. Get rid of Alvarez while you're at it. I was at that US Open game on Long Island, and he was horrible. Does anyone agree with me? Get back Gio!

2. el

el BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 12, 1998
    Are you serious? Does Savarese coach or play central d well? If so sign him if not we dont need a forward,thats not our problem.

3. jetset1106

jetset1106 New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Dix Hills, NY
    We lost 3-1 tonight, end of story. Diallo cant even make his country's team.

4. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I have no idea where Saverese is right now. The thing that he does not have going for him is he is not a US ciitizen.

Now don't take this the wrong becaue I like Saverese. Gio was never good enough in my oppionion to be a starter in the MLS. He is a great player comming off the bench to boost our attack, but not as a starter. Just my view every team who wants to win a championship should have a third striker comming off the bench like a Saverese.

Richie

5. jetset1106

jetset1106 New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Dix Hills, NY
    He holds the Metro lead for goals. I said to Zambrano at the US Open game to llok into him, and he looked at me and smiled. We need something to light a fire. We need Gio.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    So? neither is Etcheverry or Valderrama but they doesnt count towards Senior Internationals cause they have their green cards just like Gio.

7. jetset1106

jetset1106 New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Dix Hills, NY
    I understand the citiizenship thing, but they have to find a way. He is so explosive.

8. Mafia Azul

Mafia Azul New Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Titusville, PA
    As if Senegal isn't a good team with very talented players?? What in the fook are you talkin' about?

At this point I would take Gio back, provided he's fit, but I would rather have Chung and Villegas back. Even Richie Williams would have been an improvement. I don't think Ziadie is making it in the back. I could see him on the right side of the midfield maybe. Petke is in a daze. I think he's been hittin' the bong before the drive to the swamp. Chrono is just past his prime. I like him and I think works hard, but he's just a step too slow. Health is everything right now. We need a completely healthy team to even stand a chance. Looking back at the whole Serna thing I just get pissed. We could of had Ralston or Chacon. Why, why, why?

9. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Neither can Gio.

10. jetset1106

jetset1106 New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Dix Hills, NY
    I agree with you 100%.......You are a scholar of this team.

11. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Gio is not coming back. Let go of the past. You can't keep clinging to Gio as if we are going to click our heels, sign Gio, and win championships.

Look at our offense:

Mathis
    Diallo
    Williams
    Faria
    Davis
    (Ramos)

If we can't score with those 5 (6 if healthy) guys on the pitch, we aren't scoring. Adding Gio isn't going to help.

Just let it go.

12. jetset1106

jetset1106 New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Dix Hills, NY
    Well we need something.

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    We need to be able protect a 1 goal lead while hunting for more goals. We need a defense that is fast and skillfull. The league really has improved; Dallas is a good team, very hard to keep off the board. If we were a good team we would have tied them; our defense would not have allowed 3 unanswered goals.

Does the problem begin in midfield; Do we lack the D-mid who can blunt an attack while our defense regains -- RAPIDLY -- the poise and shape that will snuff a counter or regain possession.
    Maybe the problem reaches that far, but I think it's better to start with the back four. Offseason, look to build from the back. They should be among the most highly skilled and swiftest players on the team.

14. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think you just answered your own question

15. jetset1106

jetset1106 New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Dix Hills, NY
    I meant he is not playing for a team.

16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Exactly.

If he's so great, don't you think someone else would have already picked him up?

17. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    "So? neither is Etcheverry or Valderrama but they doesnt count towards Senior Internationals cause they have their green cards just like Gio.'

Etch and Hair are starters. You don't waste a foreign allocation on a non starter unless you are the Metros. So maybe the metrostars will get another foreign allocation to ride the bench like we already have.

18. jetset1106

jetset1106 New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Dix Hills, NY
    I don't see effort from these guys. Once they are down, they just throw in the towel it seems. I don't see extra efforts like earlier in the season and last year's playoffs.

19. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Re: Re: Savarese

Gio was playing for Venez. for all of the WC qualifiers.

20. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    His time is done, get over it.

21. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    As someone else has already said, our attacking players are not the problem. For that matter, neither are our defensive players. Look at our season to this point. We played the best in that short fraction of time that both Davis and Ramos were on the field. In the 3-5-2, with Davis and Ramos or Ziadie, we would win games and win them handily. Unfortunately, we have not been winning many games. We lost early in the season, because OZ was playing a lineup with no left winger. We are losing now because OZ is playing a lineup with no right winger. We start 4 central mids in the midfield and everyone wonders why we get burned on the wings? People clamor for Gio!? Petke plays great for 3 seasons in a 3-5-2, and he plays poorly in the 4-4-2 and the 1st thought with Metro management is to shop him around? The answers to our teams problems are so obvious that only OZ and the kids on the short bus don't get it. Switch the lineup to a 3-5-2. Play Jolley in the middle with Petke and either Addo or Akwari on the right and left. In midfield, play Davis wide left, Ramos (Ziadie until Tab is healthy) wide right with Andy Williams as the attacking mid. Play Paule and Moore as twin d-mids. Start Mathis and Diallo up front, with Faria as the supersub. Watch team win. OZ doesn't seem to understand that we can't win with great strikers, misplaced midfielders and a defense forcing our defenders to play unusual roles. Petke's problem isn't mental, it's adjusting to the responsibility of a 4-4-2. With Ziadie and Chrono basically playing out of position (both are displaced wing mids) they get caught up too much. That basically leaves Petke and Jolley back there alone at times.

JMac

22. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    8 posts, all in this one thread . Well done troll . You got all the regulars to chime in .

23. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    Damns, I feel strangly drawn to this thread...

We have an offense. Does Gio play defensive midfield or the flanks?