Saturday will be a great day in MLS history

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by mrgifted, Aug 23, 2002.

1. mrgifted

mrgifted New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Why?

Because for the first time that I can recollect, soccer fans (in the Chicago area) will have to RELY ON SCALPERS TO GET INTO A MATCH. It's sold out 2 days before, and in this stadium, there is no "opening up the upper deck".

Think about that for a minute.

2. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    WOW Chicago sold out all 90 benches already!!!!

3. mrgifted

mrgifted New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Hey, 90 benches, I don't care if it's 90 seats. The Fire have created a situation where there will be a raucous atmosphere and a demand for tickets. That's the kind of thing that local and national media need for soccer to get more coverage.

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Mr. Duggan's just a bit confused because he's used to going to games where the home team stinks and the fans aren't allowed to talk or cheer.

But they are allowed to go anywhere they want, as long as they stay on their side of the stadium.

5. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Not only are the fans in NE allowed to talk, but anyone who's ever witnessed a youth soccer game is allowed to bring a friend to the game who's never been to a game before and offer loads of "expert" commentary...

Sigh..

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

we sold out the san jose match earlier in the year AND i saw scalpers there

7. Metro

Metro New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Dallas
    All Burn/fire rivalry aside...congrats Barnburners! If you really did sell out the stadium, that truly is a milestone. I've said this many times, people go to sporting events for the atmosphere which the Barnburners provide. They've been the driving factor behind much of the Fire's attendance success.

8. mrgifted

mrgifted New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Re: Re: Saturday will be a great day in MLS history

Actually, I think you are right about that. My bad. BUT, this is the first time that it has happened since the stadium was expanded to 15000, if I am not mistaken.

Either way, a good day for MLS is at hand.

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Saturday will be a great day in MLS history

I think they said the actual number of seats are about 14,500 but they will sell some standing room to push total over 15,000. They had 15,919 at the last match but peter wilt, GM of the Fire,said they wouldn't sell as many standing room tickets for this game because of crowding and parking concerns.

10. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    I will be one of the many relying on scalpers for tickets.

11. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    If you guys think that, it is a great day for MLS to play at a sold out "15000" seat stadium , on "Fake" grass ,then I am speech less at this point.

12. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm speechless at how much better Real Madrid is than Barcelona!

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is great. I've already posted this thought once, but I'll say it again--I have great respect for Chicago fans. Good for you guys.

And, Yes, you deserve a better stadium! Here's hoping for a return to Soldier soon, and some sort of breakthrough on your own SSS in the near future!

14. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    It's not so much that the Fire created it, it's more like they were forced into it. Anytime you stick a team that draws an average of 16k+ into a 14k stadium, it should be pretty obvious that demand will outstrip supply.

Any team in the league could do it by just limiting their ticket sales to some number less than their average attendance. Nothing mystical or magical about it. Probably not very clever from an economic point of view, but very doable.

And as for it being a great day - it would be a much better day if the team could get the income from the sales of another 1-2k tickets.

15. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    You'd better take that back.......

16. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

You first.

17. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused.

What makes Saturday any greater than any of the other times an MLS team has sold out a game?

18. FFan

FFan New Member

Oct 27, 1999
    Naperville, IL
    It would still not make it my favorite over
    Fire _ Galaxy matchup in game 3 of the Conference Final (semi-final) in 98 which over 30,000 people attended.

19. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    thanks for the props. bb's are only one of the groups in section 8.

20. The whole idea is you need to create a demand for tickets. If people are afraid they won't get in, it entices people to buy season tickets and advanced sales. The problem for MLS with playing in these huge stadiums is that people know they can just walk up at gametime and get a ticket. As a result, there is no scarcity of tickets out there. This then causes fewer season ticket and advanced sales. Thats why it would be ideal to have these teams all play in small stadiums.

21. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    Too bad they didn't do it for half the season... and, especially the first match for which I bought 20 tickets to organize a trip, and then got scheduled with work. I got rid of 4... ate the rest of the bill.

Damn.

22. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    From www.chicagosports.com

"Briefly: Saturday's sellout is the Fire's second straight at Cardinal Stadium and could eclipse the record 15,919 the team drew Aug. 14 against Kansas City."

23. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And THAT is exactly what is worrying me.

Most likely, it won't eclipse anything, because the Fire office has said that it isn't selling as many SRO tickets this time around...

So now, people have the wrong idea, and, if the 15,919 attendance is not reached, then it looks like a bad thing.

Man, people don't think things through!

24. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Consider the source. (ie, the dweeb that wrote that tripe)

25. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    And you do that by (in this case) putting a product on the field that people want to see.

You don't do it by artificially limiting ticket sales. That is cutting off your nose to spite your face. By your recipe, what the folks in SJ should do is say that they are going to limit sales to 8k per match. That would instantly drive up demand to God only knows what absurdly high level. The problem is, you can't tap into that (imaginary) demand when you've capped sales.

As I mentioned re Naperville. The extra $20k-$40k that the Fire could receive in extra tickets sales does them absolutely no good. It's almost like throwing away money.

All this does is shifts the time of sales, not the quantity. Additionally, it decreases revenue since season tickets and group sales are discounted, whereas gate sales are full price.

And this is a bad thing? If what you are trying to do is entice the "casual" customer to become a regular customer, you do that by making it as easy as possible for them to buy what you are selling (and see paragraph one), not by making it difficult.