Saturday Weax

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by 79United, Apr 22, 2005.

1. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the storms approaching as they are, what sort of weather is going to cancel this weekends match??? I'm bringing my new girlfriend up from VAB and I want to make sure that the match is still a go!

TS.

2. Eskandarian11

Eskandarian11 New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    Hurricane and/or Tsunami.

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best matches are in the worst weather.

The only things I've seen MLS matches cancelled for are lightning strikes, and malfunctioning lights. And since we're not playing KC this weekend, we should be all clear.

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    given the lack of make up dates and cost of conversion i'd imagine they wouldn't cancel no matter what. if they played in the hell that was the first harbor view match, they'll go on no matter what.

5. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd have to assume that they'd cancel for lightning.

Though this got me wondering if there was a part of the stadium sharing deal that prevents us from playing in crappy weather on account of the field. Anyone know?

6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I'm more worried about the stadium not being ready for soccer in time than I am about the weather. The latest report is that the rain should be over tomorrow evening by 8 or so. But heavy rain all day is likely to have an adverse effect on preparations.

As others have noted, it's not KC so we should be safe.

7. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    By the way, are tailgaters still gonna show up around 3, despite the weather? Owen said he (more importantly, the keg) won't get there until 4:30. :(

I don't want to get there at the usual start and be the only jackass sitting around in an empty parking lot.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Always remember...The Captain is your friend. :)

9. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Easy to say when you're of age to purchase such things on your own, innit? :mad:

4 months. Just four months, I can make it... I can... ... *sigh* :(

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Man, I hope it clears up. I now have 3 co-workers wanting to go, possibly more, and they're all willing to wait and see, but don't want to go if it's cold and rainy at gametime.

Sure, they'll probably go to another game later this year if they don't go to this one, but still, I want them all there tomorrow.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd rather be a young fart like you and have Willie The Pimp buying my hooch like in the old days. :rolleyes:

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Just because United shares a stadium with some baseball team doesn't mean they adopted their piece of crap cancellation policy. Are you serious?

If you need assurance, look at MLS Cup '96 or '97, the magical DC comeback game against Chicago in '01(?) or some others to see that nothing short of stadium malfunction or direct lightning strike does a think. Hell they even played 75 minutes of the All-Star game when lightning was hitting the stadium, and got the halftime show in to boot.

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I guess this will be the first big test for the new field. Hope it holds up well enough.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If the game is cancelled, we'll just play pickup in lot 8. As long as the keg doesn't float away...

15. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Games have been delayed by lightning but they have always come back and finished as long as the lights tay one. The All Star Game is one example and a couple of other times we have been delayed.

Right now the reports are for storms in the afternoon but mostly cloudy and 60 by game time. It will keep the walk up crowd down but the regulars should be there.

Todd remembers "Wide Left" from the All Star Game. :D

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The weather is going to be fine tonight. I drove home from the gym this morning with the top down and the stereo cranked. It's a beautiful day. Trust me on this. :)

17. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I hope it stays this way. The forcast isn't that promising though. :( Either way, count on the Brother family being there. :)

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    rookie :rolleyes:

19. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Pretty much. (I knew when I posted that someone was gonna write exactly that. Right down to the roling eyes....)

20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    What is a "Weax"?

21. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Weather. I've never seen it like that though, I usually see it just as WX

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

Ahh.... Whether. Didn't dawn on me!

Thanks, rookie :p

23. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    looks like it should be out of here by gametime....

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service
    ...DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL- NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE- PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-AUGUSTA- ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-NELSON- ALBEMARLE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-FAUQUIER-LOUDOUN-ORANGE- CULPEPER-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX- ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA- KING GEORGE-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... WASHINGTON... HAGERSTOWN... FREDERICK... WESTMINSTER... GAITHERSBURG... COLUMBIA... BALTIMORE... ANNAPOLIS... WALDORF... ST MARYS CITY... STAUNTON... WAYNESBORO... HARRISONBURG... WINCHESTER... FRONT ROYAL... CHARLOTTESVILLE... LEESBURG... CULPEPER... MANASSAS... MANASSAS PARK... FAIRFAX... ALEXANDRIA... FALLS CHURCH... FREDERICKSBURG... MARTINSBURG... CHARLES TOWN 948 AM EDT SAT APR 23 2005

... SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED TODAY...

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TODAY ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA INCLUDING NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VIRGINIA... MARYLAND... THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND THE EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA PANHANDLE.

A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL CROSS THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT AND INTENSIFY AS THEY APPROACH FROM THE WEST.

THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP IN THE SHENANDOAH VALLEY BETWEEN 11 AM AND 1 PM. EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE INCLUDING THE WASHINGTON AND BALTIMORE METROPOLITAN AREAS... THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO APPROACH THE AREA BETWEEN NOON AND 2 PM.

THE RISK OF SEVERE WEATHER IS EXPECTED TO END WEST OF THE BLUE RIDGE LATE THIS AFTERNOON BETWEEN 3 PM AND 5 PM. THE SEVERE WEATHER IS EXPECTED TO MOVE EAST OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY BETWEEN 5 PM AND 7 PM.

THE MAIN THREAT FROM SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS TODAY WILL BE LARGE HAIL OF PENNY SIZED OR LARGER AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. LOCALLY HEAVY DOWNPOURS ARE ALSO EXPECTED.

THOSE WITH OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES THIS AFTERNOON SHOULD KEEP AN EYE ON THE SKY AND BE PREPARED TO SEEK SAFE SHELTER IF THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES....

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If I said it once I've said it a hundred times....The only thing that sucks about rain is water in my beer.

25. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sounds like thunderstorms will roll thru right around tailgate time. Ahh well, nothing we havent dealt with before.