Saturday Night Live

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Dolemite, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    my god. this show was bad last year, but it is HORRIBLE now. i watched the newest one with queen latifah. they need to fire every actor and writer. there wasn't one single funny sketch. not a one. at least when will ferrel was on you know you'd be able to laugh at him. it's almost like they're spending all thier time trying to do good impersonations at the expense of writing good material.

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Verily, the gurgling rattle of humour's death throes was truly deafening for all in earshot.

Tis a pity.

3. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I saw snippets of their presidential debate skit. It was really poor.

4. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    "Poor" is the understatement of the year. I didn't even crack a smile through 13 minutes of nonsense. Pitiful.

5. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was just thinking -- The show has been through some bad stretches, but I don't ever recall anything this bad.

6. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

i sheet you not. there was not a single funny sketch on saturday. i've seen snl's that were bad, but out of an hour and a half you'd usually find something that was funny.

7. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    yeah it resembles a slightly better MadTV now.

8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I watched the first 20 minutes. They should really call it Saturday Night Dead.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :rolleyes:

Wow. Another SNL isn't funny anymore thread. Let's start a new one about The Simpsons not being good anymore also.

10. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you guys are too young to remember season 6 (80-81). THAT was painful.

11. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I haven´t seen it but I saw that they brought Amy Poehler to take fallon´s spot in Weekend Update. I hate that they have 2 women on update. It´s a stupid PC thing. You can have that because you lose all the male jokes. You can have two co host from the same sex. Might as well have only one. If you have two men as host or two women as host, You might as well have only one and it would be the same. You kill all the men jokes or stuff like the Paris Hilton thing. If they really wanted to be PC and to make strides they should have placed a Black guy as host. Mabye the guy who used to be in good burger. That would have been better and you don´t kill the male jokes that were so good. Then again maybe I´m bitter because this makes it that this update is the farthest removed from the Norm Mcdonald era.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If it was a horse they'd of shot it.

13. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

i'm soooooo sorry for wasting your valuable time.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Ah yes. The rite of October, bitching about the declining quality of SNL.

SNL has always been more miss than hit, and it has always had incredibly bad episodes. Such is life of a sketch comedy show, especially when it's going through a cast transition. The rule of thumb is, out of 3 episodes, one will be okay, one will be decent and one will suck beyond all comprehension.

I do think there is a problem though, that there isn't a single star - too many injuns and not enough chiefs. That should work itself out eventually though. Both Maya Rudolph and Amy Poehler are capable of being ridiculously funny, and we might have one of the newer guys or featured players emerge over the course of the season.

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You damn well better be! If you had titled the thread "SNL Sucks Balls" then I wouldn't have checked the thread and instead could have wasted my time reading inane posts on the Politics Board. :D

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mozilla is gone, although we have plenty of other Freepers left.

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    What? It can't be true, he's gone?

18. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Perhaps this is where the Politics and MT&M boards could meet. I'm sure there's a study somewhere suggesting correlations between SNL's quality and whether a Republican or a Democrat (or incumbent/VP or challenger) wins the Presidential election.

That said, SNL is as cyclical as the economy, just with more wailing and gnashing of teeth in a down year.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I thought the X-Presidents cartoon was very funny as usual but I was wondering why they replaced the now desceased Ronald Reagan with his son Ron Reagan Jr. rather than with Bill Clinton. I did not understand why they did that. Why is Ron Reagan Jr. a member of the X-Presidents now when he was never a president and you could easily have Bill Clinton join them instead.

20. snowsuit

snowsuit New Member

Oct 1, 2000
    san diego
    i love amy poehler (anyone who has seen UCB cannot admit she isn't funny). but she doesn't really seem to be cut out for weekend update. ************. and tina fey is not funny, so it's all-around horrible. but i suppose it's better than jimmy fallon, laughing at his own lame jokes.

21. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    That was the absolute worst thing on the show. I thought the debate was funny, but the rest was pretty stupid. I really don't think the cast is that bad, they just need better writing, so that they don't have to do all impersonations like somebody said.

Chris Parnell is probably my favorite guy on the show now, as well as Fred Armison and Maya Rudolph.