Satellite could plummet to Earth

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by YankBastard, Jan 26, 2008.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OW OW MOMMY STOP IT

Sorry.

So in other words if it hits in say England, they can get money damages from the United States, money for which I as a taxpayer would be partially responsible for?

Awesome. I love it.

[​IMG]
    No, it isn't. It's inevitable, and as proof I offer history. The only question is what form it will take. In this case, a falling satellite that may (or may not) cause major damage to someone.

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is certainly what the movie Space Camp would have me believe.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. And if, say, an American submarine sank a Japanese fishing boat while surfacing, you the taxpayer would have to foot the bill for that as well. Sucks to be you the taxpayer.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also question why the heck an American submarine got so close to Japan as to be able to sink a Japanese fishing boat.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Laws of the Sea (also a recent lecture topic :)) apply even in international water - they essentially delineate where territorial, Exclusive Economic Zones, and international waters exist. And one thing they cover is liability for such incidents, wherever they occur (territorial, EEZ, or international water), so whether our subs were in Japanese water or in the Japanese EEZ - or even international waters - we're liable.

If you want to have fun, look at who is liable to pursue crimes committed in Antarctica, where no one officially controls any territory.

6. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I don't know, maybe because we haven't been at war with them for over 60 years and they are now, in fact, our trusted ally?

Anyway, the sinking that BRF is referring to took near Hawaii, not Japan:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/military/jan-june01/collision_02-12.html

Now if Godzilla sank the Japanese boat, it would suck to be a Japanese fishging boat owner and his crew, not an American taxpayer.

[​IMG]

7. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Ya know I went there for camp a year or two after that movie came out. It was pretty lame.

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we send our millitary to countries we're not at war with? That seems odd. Shouldn't that submarine be defending our country?

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, our treaty with Japan following WWII holds that while Japan may have a small maritime defense force, most activities undertaken by a country's navy in its own sovereign sphere are not in Japan. Per treaty agreement, the Commander, U.S. Naval Forces, Japan (COMNAVFORJAPAN) has the following mission:

"Mission

Acts as Navy representative and coordinator in our area of responsibility, executes shore installation management, and promotes operability and conducts liaison with the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force.

Area of Responsibility

The Commander, U.S. Naval Forces, Japan area of responsibility extends from the southern tip of the Kamchatka peninsula to the northern tip of Taiwan. It includes the Sea of Japan, a portion of the Philippine Sea, part of the northern Pacific, and the British Territory of Diego Garcia but not the Korean Peninsula."

You can read more at the COMNAVFORJAPAN web site, with the history page here - it briefly describes how the mission came to pass.

10. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it's not. It happens all the time.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How, exactly, would you have a nuclear submarine "defend our country"? What part of "submarine in Pacific Ocean" seems odd to you?

12. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i predict the satellite will crash some where near the north pole on international waters

then you'll have 5-6 countries racing to get the satellite.....most likely a race between US and Russia

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...sounds like a movie script....

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    In the '80 some friends of mine were manning a semi-polar research station in the Yukon or some such. One day they were beset by black helicopters, out of which swarmed dozens of special forces in full hazmat gear. The troops held my mates at gunpoint for a day and a half. They wouldnt communicate anything except sit or die. For months these guys had no idea if there had been catastrophe or what? As it turns out a Russian satellite, with a reactor aboard, had crashed nearby and there was a. 'Ice Station Zebra' race to find it. Im told the Canadians won.

edit: Ok, it was the 70s. Tempus Fugit. This has happened before.

http://www.hackcanada.com/canadian/other/cosmos954.html

16. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  17. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Let's start a pool - where should the satellite hit?

My choice:

38° 53' 51" N
    77° 02' 15" W

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States