Saragosa Poll

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ChrisE, Nov 18, 2004.

1. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    So, over on the expansion thread, I suggested that it would be a good idea for Chivas to draft Saragosa and ransom him to the Galaxy for Arturo Torres and Memo.

I don't understand his objections, really, they have to do with the fact that Saragosa's on loan, but I don't think they're really all that germane. But I'm sure you guys have discussed this extensively, and that's not the point, really.

I was just wondering if, hypothetically, Chivas drafted Saragosa, would Galaxy fans be willing to trade Torres and Memo to get him back. If anybody can clearly explain to me why they think this gambit would fail, I'd be glad to hear it.

2. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    for hamilton's sake chivas had better not draft gallo.

if they did, trading useless and uselesser for a talented, effective, starter? i wouldn't think twice, hell i'd throw in vagenas too.

3. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd throw Vagenas in, but then Chivas might ask for more compensation.

Absolutely. I don't care what Hamilton was thinking, but putting Saragosa out there. . . it was like he was DARING Chivas to take him (which, with loan rules, etc., I didn't know you could do).

I don't think Chivas will take him, though.

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saragosa is Brazilian...they speak Portuguese in Brazil, so he likely does not speak Spanish well and is not Mexican/Latin American. So my guess is that Chivas might bypass him.

5. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    He speaks spanish as well.

Like everyone has said, losing Torres and Memo wouldn't hurt us at all. Personally, I'd be happy to see them go since Sampnuts somehow had them above Grabavoy on the depth chart. And honestly, if Memo is ever going to develop and be a USMNT player, he needs a fire lit under him. I think Chivas could light that fire and develop him into, if nothing else, a fringe natty and solid MLS starter.

6. El Paisa

El Paisa New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Palmdale, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that for every player that gets picked, each team can then pull a player back, so hopefully they'll take someone else before Saragosa and we can pull him back.

7. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I don't think there's much chance of that happening, unless the RSL staff is really high on Broome for some reason. I say Saragosa goes to Chivas in the 6th round, and that will be Galaxy's only loss.

8. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

The loan deal is a part of a sistership LA has with SPFC.
    Or basically, he won't be playing in MLS if he ain't in a Galaxy uniform.

But I like this thread, maybe there is a real reason behind Saragosa not being protected, and LA Managment wants to trade Memo off, can't let him go in the draft. And hopefully Victorine is a part of this deal.

Chivas will probably go after a player from LA later in the rounds, not even SL will be after a player from LA. Way too much talent out there, and personally if Chivas sticks to latinos, they will get screwed big time, there is a hell of alot of good players.

The saying goes, " . . . You Play to Win the Game" If Chivas doesn't realize that come friday, they won't be contenders for the postseason.

9. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    No! You play to bring in the money. This is a business not a game.

Sincerely,

Doug

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would I trade Memo and Torres for Saragosa?

In a heartbeat.

In all seriousness though, leaving Saragosa unprotected can only mean one of three things.

1. They really don't think a deal can be made to keep him here.

2. They want to unload Memo, who isn't eligible for the expansion draft, so they've made a deal with Chuck Fivas to trade Memo for Saragosa.

3. They're complete and utter morons.

Actually, all three could be true...

11. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Yeah.

But more importantly, Hey! New avatar TrickHog. very cute...

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use that image to keep me from scarfing down three or four of those BWDs after each game...

13. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Well, ideally winning is the best way to bring in the money. But that's only in the ideal world of course.

14. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Dude, its a joke, at the bottom you well recognize the name Doug, as in GM of the LA Galaxy Doug Hamilton, who has made some bonehead actions.

15. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Thanks for the responses, guys, best of luck.

Unfortunately, nobody provided me with what I thought was a convincing answer as to why Saragosa shouldn't be drafted. Although it seems likely that, if drafted by Chivas, he's just go back to Brazil, I think that Chivas might be willing to do this, if LA wasn't going to give in to their demands. Considering how much y'all apparently value Torres and Memo, it seems likely that LA would be willing to do that, and if they weren't, all Chivas loses on is Eliseo Quintanilla or Orlando Perez or Francisco Gomez - not much of a risk in exchange for a guy who looked like one of America's best midfield prospects just two years ago.

16. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems the gamble paid off and we didn't lose him. Thank goodness.

17. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    yet.....

The superdraft is a whole different story. I can't see EZ and Taylor sporting Chivas USA jerseys. I feel some sort of trade bait thing is underway.....

....please god no!!!!

18. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whatever. We aren't going to trade him for the same reason we left him unprotected. He is on loan and his buy price is too high.

19. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    If Marcelo had been drafted (which was very unlikely because of the money/loan factor), I would've in a heart beat traded Memo and Arturo for him. Arturo doesn't deserve his minutes on the pitch and Memo was a false messiah...plain and simple. Gonzales could've been something great, but through not working hard, mouthing off, and just plainly slacking off he's been relagated to a bench player for the coming years...