Sao Paulo, Two Days

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by oman, Dec 2, 2004.

1. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    In Sao Paulo on business. Don't know portuguese. Staying at Intercontinental (downtown?). Out monday, home Friday.

Anything in particular I need to do? Plazas/views to see? Places to see people?

Not going to be feasible to do very late night, but may have opportunity for good lunches/dinners. Drinks.

2. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Most people in Brazil do speak english.
    Esp in the airport and hotel, you wouldn't have any problems over there.
    In Brazil, there are lots of restaurants, and so many foods over there, so try each food in the store.
    They are fascinating. Brazil is an amazing country

3. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    Gre3at town for eating.....number of years since I have been there so these might be dated....check at your hotel

barbaquo - great Brasilian rodizio.......in the Itaim Bibi neighborhood

Nakombi - very good Japanese restaurant......in general Japanese is great option in Sao Paulo

Consulado Minero - For food from Minais Gerais

If you are there on a Saturday afternoon, there used to be a place called Merlin. They would have a saturday feijoada and combine it with a serious party with live music from the northeast of brasil. Ton of fun

Hope this helps.....also, some of the best Italian food I have ever eaten was in Sao Paulo. Concierge at hotel can probably help out

4. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Visit MASPI the great art museum. There is a subway stop out in front. Also, visit the Japanese enclave, Liberdade, also with a subway stop right there. Liberdade is the most Japanese enclave in the world outside of Japan.

For shopping, go to the FUNAI store. FUNAI is the Brasilian Indian Government Agency, and the store sells authentic handicrafts from tribes in remote areas in Xingu and Rondonia. Low prices and unique beauty. You can walk there from MASPI, albeit a long walk.

Food is great in Sao Paolo. We ate at a churrasco steak house 2 km from MASPI that Michael Jordan ate at. But even local, neighborhood bars with limited food service offered outstanding value and taste.