Santini's Successor - Names In the Frame

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by jumhed, Nov 5, 2004.

1. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ITV Sport has declared itself as a bastion of shi.teness by announcing that Gary Megson is favourite for the job. What are they on? Crack?

Ho-hum, we've been here before, over each and every name again and again, fer Kerist's sake!;

Hoddle - Are you mad?
    Houllier - As above
    Megson - Now you're taking the piss!
    Vialli - Led Watford to glory
    MON - Let's face it, it's not going to happen is it?
    Bryan Robson - Oh f.u.ck off!
    George Graham - No
    Christophe Daum - Hmmm.
    Topmoller - Do we need another germanic accent at the Lane, a la Gross? No.
    Strachan - What exactly has he ever done to deserve his popularity? He's way overrated!
    Ranieri - About to be fired at Valencia
    Antic - Not now that Pleat's gone! Hurrah!
    Jol - Might be good. But these stop-gaps always do well until officially appointed, and then they get crap
    Venables - Hasn't been good for about 10years now.

2. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    David Moyes would be good, but the club will definitely go continental to keep in with the new structure. Someone who's used to working in this system.

3. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    ITV must be even thicker than i think saying that Megson is favourite.

Get Terry Venables.

4. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Megson my arse. I thought he was supposed to be going to Wolves anyway (so my Wolverhampton supporting housemate tells me).

The way Spurs have said they're making a further statement on monday makes me think they're talking to Martin Jol about his position and how they are approaching things.

5. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    As I said before, Venners hasn't done anything of note for over 10 years. His contributions to clubs he's been associated with since the England job rarely extend beyond getting them into financial difficulty.
    Under Venners Spurs, Portsmouth, and Crystal Palace had massive money problems, and although not of his doing, Leeds too. He's a spent force. We need to look forward, not back.

6. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    I think we need to follow the advice currently given to Adrian Mutu with this one Just Say NO

I reckon they will probably give it to Jol or I would not mind seeing Otmar Hitzfeld

7. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    But what about Sir Bobby Robson ... you know ... the good Robson. I for one wouldn't mind him taking charge. I've always liked him and his teams. I also do think MON is seeing his limits at Celtic ... so you never know.

-Digital

8. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    Just don't understand the love affair with MON. So what he did pretty good with Leicester back in the day. Numerous coaches have done well and they don't get near enough credit, Curbs from Charlton and Big Sam from Bolton spring to mind as guys who are doing a lot with very little in todays game. Hell Moyes is doing a fantastic job for Everton right now but no one is calling for him to coach Spurs??

I am not for sure if any of those guys would even take the job but any three are as talented as MON, who has no real challenges in SPL and is getting his ass handed to him in the Champions League.

We need a great football mind and Sir Bobby would be perfect for a couple of years until he retires and hands the job to Jol on a permanent basis.

9. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Someone beat me to saying Hoodle -- lol

I agree with you on your assessment -- I'd throw in Harry Redknapp in there to. I wouldn't mind MON -- he did take Celtic to the Uefa Cup final and the guy who beat him in that match is now in the Prem.

How old is Sir Bobby? Is he past it?

What about Arnesen or is he strictly off the pitch management?

Santini getting the job in the first place surprised me -- who knows what they'll do.

10. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i'm not sure who'd be. lots of the names above i don't think would take the job like O'Neil, Curbs, Big Sam etc...

11. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Well I don't think we'll get Big Sam as he probably could of got the Newcastle job and chose to stay at Bolton -- the rest of 'em -- who knows.

12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gary Megson tipped to take over Tottenham - by Gary Megson.

Martin Jol will get the job for now and is likely to get the job full time, he's talented and will get on perfectly with Frank, can't ask much more than that. All of the domestic manager names are more than likely crap just as they were last year, the club was made Frank's to run in the summer and it will be his man.

Daum is an interesting name but after his cocaine scandel which cost him the Germany job I doubt he would get something like this. Too much media fodder.

13. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    After reading the article I posted in the other thread (popped it at the bottom here) it sounds to me like they have Jol in mind for the full time job...

"Dutch coach Martin Jol will take charge when Spurs host Charlton on Saturday, but more will be known about the next permanent manager on Monday.

"We will know more about the situation on Monday. If we have decided on a new man by then, it will be very quick, but it will be clearer.

"Martin Jol is very capable. He has been head coach at many different clubs, and I am very happy to have him."

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/ARTICLE.ASP?ID=236257

14. Borotmt

Borotmt New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    I support Boro.

You don't really have to crack jokes about me, if you just read what I wrote above.

15. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Double, where art thou? The above post needs your usual TLC

16. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    It is time - Gary Lineker.

Satini can take his job at motd.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here I was just thinking Ruud Gullit :D

IMO, It might be Jol, or Robson until the end of the season and Jol gets he feet wet. Personally, I think Jol is the long term guy, but is being guided there by Frank and who ever the manager is.

18. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I think Alan Hansen said it well "no one will the spurs job if they have to be under a sporting director".

19. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    The new manager is going to be Jol. He will definetly work with Arnesen.

With all the speculation about a rift between Arnesen & Santini it was interesting to hear Frank talk pitchside before the game, he was cheered from start to finish, so the supporters are sticking with Arnesen.

20. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    To me that sounds like "I don't understand the way continental teams work and I'm too close minded to give it a chance." Who gives a ******** what Alan Hansen thinks - all he does is criticise anyway. I have no time for the opinions of him and Andy Gray.

21. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Jol seems the likely choice. Knows the system and what not.

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    IN London being interviewed for the open position! :cool:

23. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    I agree, he said we are obsessed with having a director of football. This time we have a proper one in Arnesen where we had Pleat last year. Arnesen has a proven record with PSV.

Arnesen blasted previous Tottenham bosses on the millions wasted on the transfer market & the failure of the youth policy & scouting system
    he said

"Spurs have spent the same money as Arsenal in the last 10 years but when you look at the results, they are still so far behind"

"And we only have one player in the first team, Ledley King, who has come through our own ranks"

"I was also surprised that Spurs didn't have any scouts in Europe. When I worked at PSV Eindhoven, we had five full-time scouts in Europe"

24. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia

Hansen is a twat and why is the English media so against the continental setup anyway??

We use it in almost all sports in the US and no one is ever complaining. Hell just makes your job of getting the most out of your players that much easier.

Just think how much time any given English coach wastes flying across Europe to watch some kid that will probably play for some other club anyway. I would rather see my coach giving advise to the acadamy kids or watching film of next weeks opponent to see if there are weaknesses that we could exploit.

25. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Great point. It's the set up you find almost everywhere in the NFL. I think Holmgren at Seattle is the only exception. The main reason for it is that in the modern pro era it's simply too much work. It's not the old days where a manager's talent pool was nearly limited to Britain. You've got ever corner of the globe to looking. And there's a lot more people on this planet making for a lot more players to check out. It just gets to be a lot for manager to have to pick up every players for the squad, make sure they fit the wage structures, etc, etc, etc.