sanneh: do you agree with his teammates?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by luvdagame, Jul 29, 2002.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    quote from ridge mahoney's soccer america article:
    --------------------------------------------------
    A few months before the World Cup, Sanneh's teammates at Nuremberg gave him the business.

''One day a couple of guys were laughing and I said, 'What's up?''' he recalled. ''They said, 'If I was 30 years old and had your speed, I'd be pretty disappointed with my career.' I said, 'What?' They told me, 'There are world-class guys who are billionaires who aren't as fast with a lot less skill.'''

i think his late start in a non-footballing country might be an acceptable excuse. in any case his performance in the world cup blew away lot of higher paid right backs.

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To go from making $500 a game for the rampage 6 or 7 years ago to making 900,000 euros a year in the BL isn't exactly a disappointment in my book.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  4. Mississippi Flash

May 19, 2002
    Mississippi
    Could you tell me a bit more about his history? Was he a successful college player?

5. accion

accion Member

Nov 28, 1998
    dfw, texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    what "billionaires" have sanneh-like skills? he was great in the WC but besides that never been to impressive with the ball. and what sanneh teamates, nuremberg teamates know anyone like this?

6. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    IMHO, Sanneh was our MVP in WC2002. Watching him move to forward in the Germany game reminded me how versitile Sanneh is. I would love to see him stay with the national team for another run because his experience will be a key in our next run.

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players with Tony's abilty have made billions of LIRA.

8. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    We've all made billions of lira.

9. kenosha

kenosha New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    West Vancouver, BC
    He played for University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, which has a long history of decent soccer. (Bob Gansler coached there for several years.) Sanneh was a very good player in college and was often used as an attacking player. However, many of the alumni players would argue that Manny Lagos was the key player at UWM during Sanneh's time. Nonetheless, he was a very good collegiate player.

10. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    And he's not even that fast.

11. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Mildly off topic, but did anyone else see that WC interview with McBride after he scored against Portugal. "I knew where that ball was going 'cause Tony and I did that a hundred times for the Milwaukee Rampage."

I thought that was kind of neat, I mean this is the World Cup and everything and he is reminiscing about Milwaukee Rampage goals.

12. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I caught that too. I was trying to figure out which was funnier- that he was telling tales of minor league American soccer on the world stage, or that the USA was beating Portugal with moves from the Milwaukee Rampage playbook.

Oh, Portugal...so confident on the day of the world cup draw...so surprised on the early ride home...

FYI, a billion lira is 511,420 US dollars. So, the average NBA player makes about 16 billion lira a year.

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this online? Link?

I thought Tony was our best player at the WC. And having been a Sanneh fan for years, I'd have to say that I was shocked, SHOCKED, by the high level of play. Pleasantly so.

I don't know what it was, but if his epiphany was walking in to that conversation, well thank the gods for their sense of timing.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    quote from metrogo:
    And he's not even that fast.
    he most certainly is fast. none of the world class wingers from the tournament were able to run away from him, whereas he left many of his markers in his wake as he tore down the right side on offense.

he's "dave winfield" like. winfield never looked fast, but he stole base after base on mlb pitchers.

15. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanneh is the man...period! Clearly our MVP in WC2002!!!

I will be disappointed if no Premiership squad gives him a shot to prove himself. He deserves it.

16. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    contention...

I gotta say Brad Friedel was our MVP. Without him there'd probably have been nothing. Sanneh was great, so were alot of our guys...but Friedel was brilliant!

cheers

17. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Lots of BS posters have said Sanneh isn't fast. So his teammates and coach must be wrong.

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    He's fast over distance, but he's not the quickest off the line.

I think his teammates were talking about how if they had Sanneh's physical gifts that they would be superstars. Soccer is a skill game that requires thinking and for lots of US players it takes them a good while before they are good enough at those two things(skill,thinking).

19. sparafucile2000

May 13, 2002
    Boston
    I'm a little confused. Were Sanneh's teammates in effect saying, "I'd be disappointed if I were as skilled as you and making only 1 million a year, whereas other players not as good as you are making millions a year?"

If that's the case, then I'm wondering if they're commenting on the fact that Sanneh's overlooked by other clubs because he's American.

I'm just confused because I'm not sure if his teammates were complimenting him or insulting him.

20. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    Sounds like both. They're saying that he has great physical gifts, speed and skill. At the same time, they're saying that he hasn't managed to put that together, over the course of his career, into becoming that superstar that he could be.

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL.

I will say he doesn't LOOK fast, despite the fact even that I was watching him beat people that appeared to be moving faster. I told my wife it was as if somebody had superimposed a slow-motion film over a regular speed one. Those long strides are deceptive, I suppose.

I will also say that I loved watching Sanneh in the Cup. He definitely brought his play up a level: It's interesting to think that it might have been inspired by comments from his teammates.

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He isn't fast..... but he is fast for his size. Players with his size do not have his speed and dribbling skills. He could stand in the corner areas..... no one can move past him as if he was a brick wall..... when he gets the ball, he can move past the attackers with his dribbling skills.

23. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    That's my interpretation as well. And, IIRC, the article went on to say that Sannah was motivated by his teammates comments to step up his game last season and in the World Cup.

24. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Who said it? Fat Tony (Meola, not Sanneh)?

25. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Exactly.

People continue to under estimate him.

Sanneh is one of the main reasons why DC United was succesful in the early years of MLS.