Sandra Day O'Connor Retires

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Garcia, Jul 1, 2005.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. As I said....I really wasn't trying to be snippy.

This site is a good start and gives links to opinions, etc.

http://www.appellate-counsellor.com/profiles/kozinski.htm

....and another.....

http://notabug.com/kozinski/

2. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. :cool: That second site has some really cool stuff on it. I particularly liked the "The Toyota Principle" one. He seems to have a lot of common sense approaches coupled with an impressive legal resume' all of which, as you already said, probably means he will not be considered.:)

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he is very independent which is the reason I doubt Bush will pick him. GB1st may not have been positive that Souter was going toe the line....GB2nd has to know that Kozinski will not.

Personal anecdote, Kozinski was at my law school for a Federalist Society meeting my first year. I had no idea what he looked like but was sitting in Crim when this short fellow wearing jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers sits down in the open seat next to me midway through the class. We were talking about sentencing guidelines and the professor did a double-take and said..."why don't we ask our distinguished guest what he thinks of sentencing guidelines." The professor appeared to be looking at me and I was thinking WTF, when the dude in jeans who had sat next to me started laughing and said..."no, I'm just here to heckle you." The professor then told everyone who it was and Judge Kozinski walked down to the front of the lecture hall and gave an impromptu lecture on sentencing guidelines, etc. It was very cool and although I disagree with many of his views....after that day I came away impressed by how bright, funny and charismatic he was.

4. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is so cool! One doesn't usually think of judges as having much charisma. Sounds like this guy has it in loads. (He evn built his own computer! Haha)

5. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Law can change. Separate but equal was the law of the land until Brown v. Board of Education.

6. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Out of that list, I think I'd be happy with Wilkinson, McConnell, Garza, Clement or Alito. I'd be horrified by the nomination of Brown (the whole "Christian victim" bit is a disturbing trait in a Justice), Cornyn (So weak in his views that he went from Moderate to Cheerleader in record time), Gonzales (anybody that can approve of torture by using legalese has no place on the high court), Jones (she's another one who seems more concerned with "morality" than "Constitutionality"), Luttig (appears to be a total partisan), and Olson (possibly lied under oath and was involved in an essentially anti-President movement. Folks like that from either side are not suitably objective for the high court).

I have slight reservations about Thompson (ties to big business as a major company exec) and Roberts (partisan, but not a "movement" partisan, q and seems to be anti-conservation of wildlife)

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Former Sen. Fred Thompson has been selected by the Bush Administration to be the man in charge of shepherding through the Senate whomever the Preisdent selects as his nominee. They're referring to him at the White House as the Sherpa.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he really that bored by acting?

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    A great choice of words. :D

If I were more internet savvy, I would post that picture of the sheep watching Bush on tv. ;)

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacen=> Love to hear where you found this and more detail if it exists... let me know.

11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That comment is not intellectually-based, that comment is emotionally-charged. Try winning elections, first.

12. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the question of judicial activism rears its ugly head, there's always this.
    It turns out Thomas, Kennedy and Scalia are the most likely of the current justices to vote to overturn a federal law, which most of us would define as fairly activist.
    I know that the judicial record of any nominee will be scrutinized pretty closely, but I would find it particularly interesting to see these numbers, especially since Bush as repeatedly lauded Scalia and Thomas as models of judicial behavior.

13. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    It was found in his bio in the WP link that was in my post. Here is the relevant part:

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps other people define it differently, but I would define activist as substituting one's beliefs for the text of the Constitution (in the event a law is challenged as unconstituional). I think you can quite reasonably argue that many laws passed by recent Congresses are of suspect constitutionality.

15. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Jason, your quote says:

Where does it say the inquiry FOUND PROOF he had actually been untruthful? It merely states there was an inquiry (witchhunt?).

Besides, David Brock is a ex-conservative who, since jumping over to the other side, does nothing but character assassinate conservatives whenever he gets the opportunity. The man's a scumbag.

16. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half the point is that there isn't a singular definition of judicial activism beyond "decisions that I don't like". The other half is that when Republicans moan on about judicial activism, one of the things they usually mention is 'thwarting the will of Congress'. Afterall, a popular idea in some conservative quarters is that judicial review is a dubious notion at best. Regardless of which, the three justices most likely to vote to overturn a federal law are GOP appointees, two of whom are well known as doctrinaire conservatives.
    If Bush manages to find a nominee who has ranted against judicial activism while taking advantage of a majority of opportunities to over turn federal law (or state law for a state judge), then we'll all know it's just another garden variety GOP hypocrit.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Which is why the courts have the power of judicial review. The only quantifiable measure for "judicial activism" is how many times the courts overturn the legislature.

After all, isn't that how the argument goes? Judges, elected by no one and serving under a lifetime grant of authority, usurp the will of the people as expressed by the elected rperesentatives.

18. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Where did I claim that there was proof found? My reasoning for not wanting Olson on the SC was this:

The fact that there was even a decent chance that he perjured himself and was involved in an attempt at character assassination (of the President) says to me that there are better choices available. Anyone who is so entrenched in Partisan Politics doesn't merit a place on the high court. I wouldn't want Bill Clinton, Michael Moore or George Soros nominated either, FWIW. It's possible for Bush to nominate a conservative judge without nominating a political hack. That's all I'm looking for, and, as I said, I would be happy with a few of the choices shown in the short list from that article.

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacen: Thanks for posting that detail; I've heard the claims and they all look like trumped up stuff on Ted Olsen, who's record is indeed spotless! The inquiry didn't find anything and you can't fault someone because of an inquiry, which was no doubt Democrat driven (I'm guessing by Soros' money)!

Ted Olsen's record is clean and he should be a leading contender for the High Court!

20. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    You missed my follow-up post to River Plate. Even IF the inquiry was nothing but a witch hunt, Olsen was heavily involved in partisan politics based on the articles he wrote for the American Spectator. I don't want a politician on the high court. I want a judicial scholar, regardless of whether they are conservative or liberal. I want someone who can look at a case, put their political beliefs aside and make a decision based on Consititutional law. With Olsen's political background, I'm not convinced that he can do that. At the very least, I feel there are three or four people on that "short list" that are likely to do a better job.

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I guess we just disagree... I think this type of person is precisely the type we need on the High Court! Simply because Olsen wrote scholarly albeit political articles does not make him less of a legal mind, but more!

Everyone's a politician today Jacen; it's just a matter of degree!

22. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Well, in truth, that's all he's ever done. He's kind of a one-trick pony, no matter which side he's writing for.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who, from that 'short list', would be acceptable to you?

24. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I could understand if my post was way back at the beginning of the thread or in another thread altogether, but my original post was only 15 posts ago (ie: on the previous page of this thread). This is what I said:

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sorry, I must have skipped that post. I guess I got too busy messing around in the rivalries forum.

So Garza works for you? How about for the rest of the posters here? If I tell my good friend GW to nominate Garza, are you all ok with it?