San Jose to offer $80 million for expansion Earthquakes stadium?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Metrofan CP, Dec 16, 2005.

1. ickenham

ickenham New Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Lisbon, Portugal
    they only realized the importance of soccer after the team have gone to Houston?
    I wonder how many of those 80millions are texas dollars or AEG dollars.....
    :cool:

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now it's Monopoly money until they figure out a way to get the political will for the council and voters to approve it.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noah,

Assuming this does get through the council, how do you rate its chances with the general public? We know about the passion of those who frequent these boards, but I have no idea how receptive the general voters of the city of San Jose are likely to be. Does this have to be packaged with the baseball scheme to get any traction?

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As reported today, zero. If it's a starting point for negotiations for a more reasonable arrangement, maybe.

5. xanthippas

xanthippas Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jun 8, 2004
    Bedford, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I'm missing something. Does someone want to explain why they want to make this offer after their team is gone? To me it seems like a waste of money, to try and attract a team when you just had one kiss you goodbye. If this is their idea of "damage control", then they seriously need to elect some new people up there.

6. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we saw this week with the Quakes is actually a major plus for MLS. While it sucks for the Quakes fans here is why it is a great day for MLS.

For the first time ever there is actual legitimate competition between cities and owners for a team. This was not the case 4 years ago. You couldn't give teams away and cities could care less.

But what effectively happened was AEG said: "Look we can get a better deal in a city that really wants us and wants to build us a stadium (with possilbe committed investors). If you want to keep the team match it."

There is a market for MLS and cities want to have teams. Maybe not every city, but some see MLS as a good deal for their city.

San Jose called AEG's bluff and lost. Houston who was waiting in the wings scored a major coup. The reality is that with the FIFA imposed limit on 18 teams. In reality MLS will probably end up with 20. There is quickly becoming a shortage on teams and investments in a growing sports market. Basically MLS will go to the place that builds stadiums and have good owners.

The rules have changed as of today.

And don't for one second think that this will be the last team to be moved. In 15 years when Columbus Crew stadium starts looking really crappy, and MLS is making money, don't be surprised to see Seattle or Charlotte offer up a sweet state of the art stadium with all kind of financial incentives.

7. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This was nothing but a CYA move on their part. Politically, it has zero chance of passing the required votes--both the city council to put it on the next ballot, and in a citywide election.

At best, it's a starting point for getting a new team into San Jose.

8. Moneypenny

Moneypenny New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Modesto
    This is horrible.. just horrible

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is horrible?

10. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is ever be put up for a vote, I can't imagine more than 10% voting yes on a $80 million sports subsidy. I would like it to happen, but it is more of a pipe dream.

11. Loco4Footie

Loco4Footie New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree with red card: This is all political cover to shift the blame. This is so transparent that I'm surprised some people are actually holding out hope that this will actually fly. The only mystery is how disengenuous MLS commish Garber is about trying to obtain an expansion team for San Joe in 2007. The only positive in this debacle is that we're finally rid of AEG.

12. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be a great day for MLS only if the San Jose fans bend over and let them reem them up the ass one more time. That's not going to happen. So MLS shot themselves in the foot. San Jose fans have more dignity than to be used as blackmail for political purposes. Just because the NFL does it to their sucker fans doesn't mean everyone has to accept it.

I'd like to see a consortium of people in San Jose work with the government to get a stadium built for a USL team. It can be done. Point number one to make to the San Jose government: why would you want to give money to a league that just tried to blackmail you and dragged your name through the mud for 3 years?

- Paul

13. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  14. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
  15. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    Not true, news are fake! :mad:

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedley this is the deal that the city offered SVS&E.

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    You just have to frame the argument right. This stadium will benefit the entire community, because it will be available for community use 120 days a year. Plus, it will help local businesses with all the people coming into the area for games.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purdy is just a soccer hating a$$hole. He totally supports the effort to get a baseball stadium (and the city spending $80 million to acquire land for it) and says it is a great investment since the land would have other uses if the baseball idea failed. One of these uses he mentions is a "park". So, a soccer stadium does not make financial sense, but spending $80 million for a park that a few dozen people might wander through in a day, and most of them probably homeless drunks, does make sense?

20. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    This is the most annoying move anyone's made during the whole relocation crisis.

The council and MLS both know damn well this will never get voter approval so they are just trying to save face among casual soccer fans by making it look like they cared.

21. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. This deal would not fly if it were for the 49ers or Giants, let alone anyone farther down the food chain. Both of them were expected to finance their own stadiums, the Giants did it basically on their own and the 49ers have apparently given up. I don't think you would get any different reaction in SJ than SF.

22. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Mark Purdy may come off as a soccer-bashing ass, and not too bright:

"Look, it's no secret how I feel about the Earthquakes, whose current out-of-town proprietors are threatening a move to Houston.

That's ridiculous on two levels. First, I am not convinced that the owner, Anschutz Entertainment Group, will really move the team to Houston, where there is also no soccer-specific stadium available. Second, the Earthquakes need to stay here. It makes sense for MLS. It makes sense for San Jose. The South Bay has shown it will support a well-run pro soccer franchise. It is one of the country's top 10 soccer markets, without argument."​

... after re-reading hiscolumn from Nov. 30 I can't say that his main point is all that far off:

1) San Jose State University has a stadium that's a storied part of US soccer history

2) Along with that, they have the land just sitting there, under-used;

3) It would be a win-win-win situation for the City of San Jose, the County of Santa Clara, the university, MLS, new local owner AND the entire Northern California and US soccer community if the parties would get together and redevelop the stadium

4) This politicians and the university are the ones we should be pissed at for their shortsightedness and complete and utter lack of leadership.

Once again, as in the earthquake reconstruction challenges in the recent past, Southern California had the leadership to make it happen, while Northern California's leadership is sitting on their collective asses.

23. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a lot of people don't think this kind of deal would fly with the voters, but one of the ironies of it is that the city/public would only have to come up with $36 million in cash, which is LESS THAN 10% OF WHAT THESE JACKA$$ES SPENT ON THE NEW CITY HALL, a fitting Taj Mahal to their incompetence and ego.

25. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Exactly. Anyone worth their salt could seel this deal to the community. If they can't find a guy, call me. I'll sell it for you.