San Jose Mercury News (Tuesday, 12/20/05)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Purdy's comments:

"Maybe there has been a lot of ``looking'' and ``interest.'' But has there been any buying? Here's what I know: When a wealthy NFL owner, Malcolm Glazer of Tampa, had a chance to invest in soccer, where did he go? Not to MLS. To England, where he bought Manchester United."

My response to him:

Not quite Mr. Purdy. It should have been phrased: "When Malcolm Glazer of Tampa wanted to own the most famous sports team in the world, it wasn't a football, baseball, or basketball team that he bought, but Manchester United, a soccer team." You are obviously a soccer hater, and it is more than naive on your part to expect the MLS to equal the success of the other major sports leagues in this country, at this time. How long did it take for the NFL and NBA to become popular? A lot longer than 10 years, and with much less competition for the entertainment dollar.
    And in response to your comments regarding the funding of a soccer stadium. I read your article on the proposed baseball stadium, in it you say that even if baseball does not come to San Jose the land could be used for other purposes, and one use you mention is a "park." So you think it is financially wise for the city to spend $70-80 million on land for a "park" which would probably just end up being home to a couple dozen drunks, but helping fund a soccer stadium is foolish? Your bias is pathetic.
    I certainly hope when the new soccer stadium is built, and Ann Killion is asked to participate in a ceremonial kick off for the new stadium, that you have the decency to buy yourself a ticket and cheer for your colleague, who obviously "gets it" more than you do.

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GS, did you actually send that to him?

QUAKES FOREVER!!

- Mark

4. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    WOW ! ! ! that is a great letter GoSounders, kudos to you buddy I hope that Purdy moron is having nightmares tonight after he got hit by that missile ! ! ! ! ! :eek: :D: :D: :D:

5. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GoSounders again.

6. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The part about going after the most famous sports team (that wasn't baseball, American football, etc.) is outstanding. Good work, GS!