San Jose Mercury News (Thursday, 10/28/04)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent article. I sent Ann a letter of thanks.

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification Helmet. Nice to hear about Santa Clara and San Francisco. Can you provide a little more detail on the help needed by Mr. Moore and timeframe?

3. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    From SSV:
    Also in Santa Clara, city council candidate Kevin Moore is seeking
    volunteers to help get out the vote this weekend.** As you know SSV has
    not endorsed any candidate but Mr. Moore has been helpful to SSV.**He
    was instrumental in getting the Santa Clara Youth Soccer Park built and
    sees the benefit to Santa Clara and the Earthquakes in having the right
    stadium solution in that City.**Those of you that want to help him
    please show up to 940 Monroe Street in Santa Clara at 9 a.m. on
    Saturday and/or 10 a.m. on Sunday. If you cannot attend then they are
    requesting assistance with phone volunteers on Sunday and Monday
    evening from 5-8, and Tuesday from 11-8. The location for phoning is
    1201 Franklin Square.****If you can assist please send me an e-mail (to SSV)
    indicating on which day you will attend.

4. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you said it for all of us :)

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i second the point clarification and toss another vote towards LA sucking. :)

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knight Ridder owns the merc and the contra costa times. now way they're going to buy them. they're too busy trying to cut costs at all their newspapers to buy into a soccer team. you'd have an open revolt of employees at both papers if their jobs are getting cut but Knight Ridder opens up the checkbook for a sports team.

7. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no such thing as bad publicity.

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, in general I can't complain about the coverage recently. The Amanpour articles might have been slanted a bit against him, but they did provide some information that probably very few people were aware of.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How true that is. And the moment is fortuitous because the Quakes can have the major spotlight right now.

10. MLSFAN20

MLSFAN20 New Member

May 20, 2001
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In their history, the Earthquakes went from ``rinky-dink'' to being New England's farm system. Now they're run by a company that does not want them. It has created so much paranoia among local fans that they suspect the latest is a postseason tactic to distract the Earthquakes and help AEG's favored son, the Los Angeles Galaxy, to a championship.

Sorry if that had been posted in this thread already but that's just jacked up!!! The Quakes deserve better than this type of treatment. I just hope the players put this in the back of their mind until after the playoff run!!!

11. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    I concur!!

That is why we need to call Douglas Quinn, EVP of Fan Development @ MLS headquarters at (212)450-1200 and voice our opinions. Don't put up with his update admin. If she tries to send you someone else, hang up and then call Commissioner Don Garber, Mark Abbott or IVAN GAZIDIS. Incidentally, Ivan was instrumentally in keeping Donovan in San Jose. MAKE THOSE PHONE CALLS

12. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, they are also a fully national company. One advantage is that th Mercury News is probably their flag ship. A lot of papers you might buy along a road trip in some very tiny place, Knight-Ridder or Gannet are running those papers.

13. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutted:

14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It's the old "chicken and the egg" thing. Which comes first, an investor or a SSS? No investor, no SSS. No SSS, no investors. What a sucky formula.....

One thing that has bothered me. Johnnie Moore posted in this forum that he had been involved with discussions about a possible SSS with Mission College. How come that idea is not discussed more? All I see floated out there is the Great America site. Shouldn't Moore be recruited by someone to see if the Mission College deal could become a reality? He's "Mr. Soccer" in San Jose for goodness sake. He got farther along then AEG, SVS&E and the Krafts combined. Johnnie accomplished a great deal of things working for the Earthquakes, imagine how much he could get done if he could just focus on building a stadium?

Does anyone else besides me think he might be able to string together a deal for a SSS? I'd bet on him before Alexi, AEG or the Santa Clara City Council......

15. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    The Mission City site died because it has to have a track around it and building bleachers that move over the track is too expensive. SSV is working with the same people Johnny was working with - which includes folks now on or hopefully soon to be on the S.C. City council.