San Jose Mercury News (Friday, 11/14/03)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Anne Killion: " You could always buy a ticket. Who knows? You might see the impossible."

WHY IS IT IMPOSSIBLE ? Jesus this woman gets under my skin.

4. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    That's quite an interesting detail... any idea which players are involved?

5. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose Mercury News (Friday, 11/14/03)

Previous articles mentioned Dwayne DeRosario and trainer Bruce Morgan. Not sure if other Quakes were ever mentioned or involved. In any case, none of them are accused of wrongdoing. The judge and an ex-cop are, though. The following appeared on October 2nd:

Santa Clara County Judge William Danser, indicted last month for allegedly fixing traffic tickets for sports figures and acquaintances, dismissed nearly $4,700 in fines for offenses ranging from speeding to not wearing a seat belt, according to court files released Wednesday.The files on 20 traffic tickets issued to 17 people, including San Jose Sharks President Greg Jamison, goalie Evgeni Nabokov and San Jose Earthquakes forward Dwayne De Rosario, offer the first details of the favors...

6. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos, I think your skin is a bit thin. I don't think she's dissin' the team by saying a win over the Wizards would be achieving the impossible. In fact, she's giving the Quakes credit for doing "the impossible" against the Galaxy (coming back from a four-goal deficit) and encouraging people to come out and see 'em.

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what Ann's said there hits out at the very essence of what makes us fans of whatever team, or whatever sport... you never know what's going to happen.

Which was a point proven last Sunday. :)

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent article, Ann Killion. "The Earthquakes are providing a bright spot of success in this dismal Bay Area sports autumn." That ought to be repeated over and over by Bay Area sports announcers.

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, she bugs me too. To end an article on the greatest game in history with that is disgusting. To permeate the article with the attendance issues is ridiculous. Is anyone gonna care about a game they missed that nobody cared to go to? Is anyone gonna care to go to a game when not very many other people do? She needs to move away from her comfort zone of focusing on attendance issues and help move this team forward by not destroying her articles with that undertone.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose Mercury News (Friday, 11/14/03)

The article said nothing about the Quakes' attendance woes. The "nobody saw it" theme referred to the lack of TV coverage.

11. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...And doesn't she point out how the Quakes have outdrawn the Warriors and the Sharks?

Tony

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah...okay, you're right. I guess it's me who needs to stop focusing on that then. Hehe. I stopped reading after the first few lines cuz I thought she meant that no one was there, and I'm too sick right now to deal with more of that.

13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think thats an important point to consider when you try to convert people to the sport. Until you see a comeback like this its easy to believe it can never happen in the sport, and I think it turns some people off.

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought that was a good article from Ann Kilion. I usually don't like her Quakes articles, but this one was on target. I think I'll send her a thank you note. Maybe some positive re-enforcement for the Quakes somewhat better coverage of our favorite team will encourage them to keep it up next season? We can only hope.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

15. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    She's a mother...she's using mothely guilt to get people to go to the games.

"You could buy a ticket..." If that isn't a mother trying to get you do do what you should...what is? What are you sitting on the couch for? You expect them to bring the game to you? What?

Unfortunately, I think her whole point got buried in the set up.

16. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    "A grainy, Spanish-language tape from LA's Channel 22"...makes LA sound like a Third World country...oh, wait, yeah.

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, as a writer she should have seen that. She needed to draw us in, but she failed to draw me in. I usually make up my mind to continue with an article in the first paragraph or two. Obviously, she lost me.

And the last lines are going to be what sticks with the reader. She failed there too. I'm sorry, but she goes into this mediocre description of this much much more than mediocre game, and then ends it on you could buy a ticket....

Whatever. I still don't think it was that great. It won't be going into my scrap book.

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unbelievable!
    a columnist -- not some lowly stringer, but one of their highly-paid big guns -- writes a second SECOND quakes story in -- what? -- the last ten days and people find a way to b!tch about that!!!
    we have too many damn babies in this forum!

it was a positive story, it was a good story -- it was from somebody who's opinions carry weight in the Mercury newsroom (Sports editor: hmmm, you know if Killion is spending all this time on the Quakes, maybe there's something there. I better keep an eye on things).

I have no idea what it will take for the Merc to make some people in here happy. This should have been one of those instances.

There, rant done. Let's be friends! :D:D

19. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Daily front page stories (front page, not front of sports), with large full-color photos, and additional 3 or 4 daily stories in the sports pages and seeing 49ers and Raiders coverage reduced to mere "notebooks" once a week.

At least for starters.

20. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take some of what you're smoking, then ... I love the Quakes as much as anybody else in here but to honestly(?) suggest cutting Raiders and 49ers coverage to get more Quakes coverage in? If you were the sports editor, would you do that?

Big full color quakes photos and smaller NFL stories? -- you do realize that other people besides those of us here in the Quakes forum read the Merc, right?

I mean, I'd like to see it to, but can we be realistic for a second?

but of course, spartacus ... you were just pulling my leg. right?

:)

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article was great by Ann Killion standards. But it wasn't great. There's no reason to settle for that. To expect just "better than Ann Killion" articles will not give us the best. Yes, it's a start. Hopefully it will be the start of better coverage for the Quakes. But I still stand by my opinion that it was mediocre. She could have done better.

Coverage is great, but I want great coverage.

22. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Insert sarcasm here.

But honestly, the way some of us rant about coverage you'd think that's the least they expect.

And when the word "deserve" comes up in the context of amount of coverage...that's when I lose it.

23. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved it. You guys are being overly sensitive. Probably because you have some history with her. But what I just read was totally sympathetic to the cause.

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

speak it, Bajoro!!! :D

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: San Jose Mercury News (Friday, 11/14/03)

Wee Man! Are you listening?