San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 4, 2002.

1. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thread

Thanks, but no one here has Fox Sports World. They just don't have it in the Panhandle for some reason...

2. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If not on cable, it should be on satellite/dish...

If you have Fox Sports World Espanol, it will be shown, though the broadcast is obviously in Spanish.

3. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Useless trivia...

Earthquakes in the US Open Cup:

All-time record: 7W - 4L - 0T

vs. Los Angeles Galaxy: 0-2-0

Last USOC match v. LA: Jul. 24, 2001 (1-1, LA won 10-9 on PKs), at Negoesco Stadium, USF

USOC matches at Spartan Stadium: 1-1-0

Other Earthquakes vs. Galaxy

All-time (MLS incl. post-season & USOC): 9-18-2

2002 v. LA: 1-1-0

All-time at Spartan: 5-7-1

Last LA victory at Spartan: Aug. 26, 2000 (0-3)

LA at Spartan since 8/26/2000: 0-2-0

Last meeting: 1-0 Earthquakes, Jul. 7, 2002 (1-0) at Spartan

Miscellaneous:

Current Spartan win streak (MLS incl. post-season, USOC & FCCC): 15-0-0

Should be a killer matchup on Wednesday...hope to see as many of you out there as possible!

4. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002

Now that I think about it, it doesn't matter whether or not it'll be televised here on Wednesday: I have school the next morning and have to be ready to leave by 6:30 am. Damn the school board. I guess I'd watch it if it were coming on though. Oh well...

5. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

What kind of school meets in early August? And you can't go to bed by 12:30 and wake up at 6? Child, you'll be facing much tougher daily routines in college.

6. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002

Schools in Florida start in early August. I need my sleep. Might as well sleep while I still can.

7. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Another reason why North Florida sucks.. But you can see the Random Jibberish thread for more on that..

If Roner plays:
    Quakes 2
    Galaxy NIL

If Roner sits:
    Quakes 2
    Galaxy 2 PK win.. (Donovan hits the post)

8. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be surprised if this game goes down to PKs.

Also, get it over with, put the best team in, and go for the win!

9. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thread

If you can't find someone with FSW or FSWE, then Matchtracker is the only alternative.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will attendence for this game be less than the 9k for the SJ-Chicago Wednesday game two weeks ago?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Also, don't forget that there's yet another Wednesday home game in two weeks (against Dallas). :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

11. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

As with the previous match, I'm hoping someone can provide play-by-play at http://johnmark.org/equakes/. Personally, I'll be at the game, so I won't be able to do it. However, if someone who's watching on tv could help out here, I have some great beer that I'm itching to give away... speaking of which, BlueMeanie, I owe you.

Also, if you're using IE 6, and you have difficulty with the Java applet, you may want to connect to johnmark.org with your favorite IRC client. The Mozilla browser comes with an IRC client called "ChatZilla" by default.

Some day I'm going to write an IRC bot that does automatic game updates... some day.

12. Lurko

Lurko Member

Aug 31, 1999
    DC area
    Re: Re: San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thre

Awesome! I did not know that!

Don't forget, folks, that Conway WON the last SJ-LA Open Cup game only to have it stolen from him by an idiot official....

Still, we must CRUSH them. Play the A-squad.

13. Bebeto

Bebeto Member

Feb 24, 2000

Thanks.
    How could we ever forget "Fiasco at Negoesco" tm ?!?!?

(In my best Tony Montana voice)
    Crush them like Cockaroaches!!
    Say hello to my little friend!!!!!!

14. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really have to give credit to Conway for the way he played last year against LA. However, to outwit Schmidt it will be better to treat this like a league match. Either keeper, Hartman or Reis, is going to be tough unless the team starts Graziani and DeRosario up front, and then place Landon as the AM or literally the third forward.

I would expect LA to field their best as well--if they do and the Quakes field the reserves the team is in big trouble.

Also, contain Cobi Jones, and Lalas would be easy to burn with a speedy forward like Donovan...

Cheers!

15. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Lookie...game tomorrow.

Let's talk about that instead... :)

16. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you!

Expect a much smaller crowd tomorrow in San Jose since this is the Open Cup and this one usually doesn't get determined until a few weeks before hand.

Anyone who was there for last year's game witnessed a classic. Sure, Los Angeles won, but what was great was the athmosphere, the game being played in the cold cover of San Francisco, the stands literally being close to the field, and just being in a neighborhood that is reminiscent of Europe--go to the pub, then head to the game.

Expect a few informal shenatigans from the players, maybe see the keeper (Joe or JonCon) take a free kick or even a PK?

Again, the Quakes need to take this game very seriously and the way of doing that is fielding a lineup as if this is a league (MLS) match.

Eddie Robinson is ineligible for this match since he received a red card in the last game.

Cheers!

17. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is also the tournament where you could in theory see a small club try to knock off the mighty Goliath such as the MLS clubs. However, two giants play tomorrow and only one can prevail--the Earthquakes.

It would be so much fun to see a group of upstarts beat a top flight team, except the Quakes of course. However, that is more prevalent in Europe, where this type of format is just as revered as the league games.

Cheers!

18. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is like Man U vs Liverpool in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Where are Kidderminster Harriers when you need them?

19. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    As usual I am shut out of any kind of Quakes coverage or Crew coverage, let alone any games tomorrow night. Location, location, location. I'll be in Indianapolis cheering on Muncie Southside's Spirit of South marching band at the summer state championships and thus won't have any access to anything.

I hope y'all just obliterate LA tomorrow night. Being around here has really turned my opinion against those Galaxatives. (Although they kind of lost me when El Flopador showed his true colors.) A nice shutout from Cannon would be good about now...maybe some more major scoring from Ariel...a few good serve-ups from #10...and a big finish by Jimmy.

Have a great game!

20. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! Where's the underdog like Watford when they were the upstarts. Maybe Rushen and Diamonds.

Alas, most of the little clubs have been eliminated.

Lab, try finding a pub showing Fox Sports World at 10:00 pm EDT. The game will be on--get there, even if it's 11:00 pm. Good luck!

Cheers!

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right. I have my fingers crossed that they will. Everyone seemed to feel that that wasn't the case with the game last year. Quakes cannot lose to Galaxatives.

22. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thread

It's also about fan prestige too. A win is a victory for the good guys. :D

Cheers!

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Can you imagine how much a part of U.S. soccer history tomorrow will be? Heck, this tournament's been played anually without interruption since 1914... not even MLB can say that about its "World" Series! :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good point, Goodsie. MLB! It's nothin'.

25. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only tournament that has been uniterrupted by war or any other stoppages.

The Olympics and the Tour de France to name a few have been halted by war.

Don't care about the "World" Series unless it's really one.

Cheers!