San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thread

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will the defending MLS Cup Champions and current league leaders defeat the coming mid-table evil in their first US Open Cup game at Spartan Stadium in the Twenty-First Century?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will the visiting Sons of Evil (no, not Mini-Me and Dr. Evil's son Scott) escape The House of Champions victorious as they barely did from Negeosco Stadium a year earlier?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The Earthquakes taking another successful step towards its goal of winning this year's MLS Cup, Supporter's Shield and Lamar Hunt US Open Cup? The Galaxy defending the one title it won in last year's quest for this country's "Double"?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Discuss.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

2. SoccrGirl4

SoccrGirl4 New Member

Jul 14, 2002
    Blackhawk, CA

I think it'll be a good, evenly-matched game to watch. With the Quakes losing to LA on the road and beating them at home, it'll be exciting...I'm all for a Quakes victory! (obviously!)

3. SoccerLover10

SoccerLover10 New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    WA

Go Quakes! hopefully they will show them that they belong at the top and shut them out!

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Who will start in goal for the Quakes: Joe Cannon or Jon Conway? :confused:

-G

5. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this is the Open Cup, start JonCon. However, this is a game of big magitude so better to put the Joe in. It's a gamble but it might be the one that puts the team over.

Since Coach's modus operandi has been to start JonCon in the Open Cup games, expect that to continue.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Is this a good thing or a bad thing for the Earthquakes?

-G

7. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Are Roner and Bower back yet :confused:
    If not, then we should see a pretty strong 'Quakes side.

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nap, Frank's only had the helm of the team for one Open Cup (the 7th will be the second), so I would hardly call that an M.O. He'll be going for the roses (and the cup).

9. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington

can we get rid of Bower somehow?

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Interestingly, the last US Open Cup game played in Spartan (against the A-League's Richmond Kickers in 2000) introduced us to an impressive Kickers player whom just about everyone (including then-Earthquakes coach Lothar Osiander) agreed was the Man of the Match, even though the Quakes won the game.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It turns out that after the match, Osiander met with that player and offered a place on the Quakes for him. The player informed Osiander that although he would've liked to, that his contract with Richmond ran until the end of that season.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The player's name? Dwayne DeRosario. :)

-G

11. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thread

If he wants the Hunt Trophy, he needs to field the team with the full lineup, and treat this as if this is a league playoff match.

It's been a year, but had the full compliment played in San Francisco, the game would have been finished in regulation.

I'm hoping that he gets the team to think treble--regular season, US Open Cup, and MLS Cup.

Cheers!

12. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the rest is history, as they say.

Cheers!

13. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would really need to look at the state of the team before the match. They have had a week and a half of rest, so they may or may not need more time to recuperate.

Playing the bench gets experience for the young players and game conditioning for players coming off injury. The flipside is that it gives a chance for the A team to start rebuilding its cohesiveness.

It's going to be a mix of A and B team. I wouldn't be surprised if Bower gets back into the mix. Mulrooney and Donovan will be given a break.

Just saw that it's my 1500th post.

14. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002

Congratulations on the 1500th post!!!

I wish I could see the game...

15. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington

I'll say Quakes win 2-0 goals by ariel and landon and super Joe on goal! starting XI: cannon,conrad,robinson(if healthy) agoos,barrett on"d",lagos,mulrooney,eklund and russell on "mid",ariel and landon up front. super sub de-ro comes in the second half. go quakes!

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You and me both. I hope Frank realizes that you've got to go full out for all the metal.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect Frank will use the bench liberally for this game. There aren't many chances to get young players, and backup goal keepers real game experience. I expect to see Conway in goal, and wouldn't be surprised to see Luchi and Devin get a start. As the game goes along if we need more firepower we may see more of the regulars being subbed in. Not necessarily my choice for a lineup, but as a coach I understand the desire to get a game or two for players always on the bench, partly to keep them happy, but most importantly to get them the experience they need so they can be counted on if they are needed in a regular season game. Most importantly for myself is to see the unbeaten streak at Sparten continue, regardless of who plays.

19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thread

Don't know if this helps you, but the game will be on Fox Sports World, live and direct from Spartan Stadium at 7 PM (Pacific) on Wednesday.

20. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

If Roner/Bower are back..

Conway
    Conrad-Robinson-Agoos-Corrales
    Gonzalez-Roner-Ekelund-Bower
    Barclay-DeRosario

If not..

Conway
    Conrad-Robinson-Agoos-Corrales
    Russell-Mulrooney-Ekelund-Lagos
    Barclay-DeRosario

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mark my words - Lucci will score.

22. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002

Sorry, still doesn't help.

I'll just check to see who won before I go to sleep. If we lose I'll be in a bad mood the first day back to school...

23. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10:00 pm EDT live.

If you don't have cable, there's always a friend who has Fox Sports World.

That's the best I can do. Otherwise, it will be a soccer pub near you.

24. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    We must win the "Triple"!
    Nothing else matters.

25. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes