San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by babytiger2001, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm going to cry again.

And I'm wearing my Quakes #10 shirt into work tonight. And tell everyone what has just happened.

And for the purpose of my duties there, I hope the international wire services have picked this up, such as with the AAP.

2. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    MOTM?

Mulrooney? Mullan?

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Take care of New England, SJ should roll KC and thats gonna set up what has to be the best MLS Cup yet. Chicago v SJ. Especially if you Barnburners take a trip out west!

I mean, Donovan v Beasley. Yallop v Sarachan. DeRo, Faria, Donovan, v the best Backline in MLS with Bocanegra and Curtin. The Phenom Damani Ralph, San Jose's own youngsters Arturo Alvarez, Jamil Walker, Todd Dunivant, and Chris Roner. Good stuff up and down.

4. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing is, I almost spent the 10.00 bucks I gave to Yahoo! to watch this on some other pay per view (Pride FC Grand Prix). Glad I made the decision I did. I luv this league.

5. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    wat a game!

congrat to SJ fans. this is what we shoulda done this afternoon but our season is apparently over b/c we like to send long balls to the box instead playing like the quakes. err..

now go take of the wizards.

6. wanderingpress

Apr 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yallop?

this has to be on sportscenter.

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sun., 11/9) during-game/postgame thread [R]

This has to be the greatest game in MLS history. Absolutely stunning.

Who is the poster who works for ESPN? This is a textbook ESPN Instant Classic.

Feel bad for the Galaxy fans though having gone through this a few weeks ago. Questions have to be asked about the LA bunker.

Congrats to San Jose, but Frank Yallop needs to recognize the abysmal two games Troy Dayak has had (Agoos' goal has bailed Jeff out only slightly) and make a change for the Conference final.

In short, for anyone out there for whom this was their first soccer game or MLS game, they are now a fan. PERMANENTLY. Oh my god.

8. quakesfan2003

quakesfan2003 New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Brentwood, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apology to the 'Quakes!

My friend, who is a hardcore fan, turned me into a fan this year. After last week's game, I told him there was no way in h*ll they could come back from a deficit like the one they *were* in. He bought tickets for tonight's game and asked me if I wanted to go. Our hockey team had a game tonight and I told him if the score was within a goal either way, I would go, if not I would play for my team.

Well, it's obvious where I wasn't tonight, and boy am I kicking myself in the rear for that decision. He called me at the conclusion of the game, screaming. I could hardly understand what he was saying because of the crowd noise. I heard a muffled, "WE WON!" WOOHOO!!" And I scream out, "NO EFFING WAY!"

We bought tickets for the MLS Cup 2 months ago, and I never thought, after last week, we would even get the chance to see the Quakes play for a spot in the Cup.

Well, they are playing for that very spot, and I just want to apologize for counting this gritty team out. Serves me right for not going to one of the greatest games in team history!

GO QUAKES! ALL THE WAY TO LA!

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, on both counts.

Frank Yallop is the best tactician in MLS, bar none.

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on a classic comeback. Truly an amazing game.

11. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Is it possible to watch past games in Yahoo! Platinum?

If it is, I will sign up for 14 days free trial then quit after watching this amazing game.

I hope Revs beats Chicago and SJ beats KC.

Good Luck SJ and NE!!

12. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Thank you Earthquakes! I couldn't stand watching LA bore up another MLS Cup Final. What a great game..I'm pulling for SJ and Chicago final..that would be truley fitting.

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How wonderful!!

I still can't believe it!

The forces of Goodness triumph over the forces of evil!! I love it!! And Jamil was freaking great!! Sure he made a couple of mistakes, but I give Jamil Man of The Match.

Though in truth, it was a team effort.

The defense was terrible. Dayak, Robinson, Agoos, and Waibel were all poor on defense. Ugh!

Hopefully for the next match we start Roner and Dunivant and either Dayak or Agoos next to Robinson. We have to draft some central defenders this coming winter.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

14. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, all the games are archived. You can watch it and most of the season for that matter. Do it for the trial at least.

15. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Wow. One of the best MLS, or for that matter sports games I've ever seen.

And to think I wanted this game to end in regulation so I could watch the lost Family Guy episode on Adult Swim.

16. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget, Goos started it all, really gave the Quakes hope with that awsome free kick.

17. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true... two teams that very few, if any, people gave a chance to at the start of the season, playing for all the marbles.

That would be very fitting.

Even if we might be getting ahead of ourselves right now. :)

18. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on a great comeback. Hope SJ and the Fire meet in MLS cup 2003. It should be the two best teams meeting for the championship. I know MLS officials were hoping LA would get in the final, so it would be assured to sell out but you guys deserved it.
    Oh, you can thank the fire for faria.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Thank you for the comeback! You made my day!

20. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Now THAT was impressive. Knowing that I won't have to watch either the Metros or LA in the Cup this year has greatly improved today after our exit.

THANKS!

21. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Match of the year. Possibly the best MLS match ever. Congrats.

Here's to an SJ-Chicago cup.

RS

22. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Great, great game.

I signed up for the Yahoo platinum 2-week free trial about 10 minutes into the 2nd half. Anyone with broadband at home should try it.

San Jose was in just as deep a hole as DC wound up in, but fought their way back in one of the all-time greatest comebacks I've seen in any sport.

As a DC United fan who watched the earlier debacle, I thank the Quakes for restoring my faith in the entertainment value of the MLS playoffs.

23. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my God! I just got back to from the match and I can't speak... I've lost my voice from too much screaming.

That was the most incredible match I've ever seen. Just before Faria scored the winning goal I mentioned to my wife that I hated him and he had no touch. But if he scores now I'll eat crow.

Crow never tasted so sweet.

Beat LA... with a club!

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes are Great!!!

Still, some of our players are clearly past their freshness date. Lagos was clearly out of gas by the end of the first half. He wasn't effective at all in the second half. As soon as Russell came in the scum had no more offense on their right side (our left side) and we had three good chances on goal from Russell's efforts. He is also credited with an assist on the winning goal.

Waibel sucks. He at least played within his limits, but starting Roner would have been smarter. Ekelund was ok, but he is not the Ekelund of old.

Dayak and Robinson and Agoos did not play very well on defense, though Agoos was great going forward.

Oh my god! I just can't cope!!

And I hate the freaking galactofilth!! It is SSSOOO sweet to kill those evil filth and knock them out of the playoffs in the first round!!

GO QUAKES!! GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me, folks-- after seeing modest Sevilla put four past the mighty Real Madrid, and in the first half no less, in the La Liga match this morning, that made me believe that anything is possible.

The Quakes proved exactly that. Anything is indeed possible. Never lost the faith, even when four-nil down...