San Jose - Los Angeles (Saturday, 10/25) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will San Jose win its first MLS home game since September of 2003?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will Los Angeles win its first MLS away game since October of 2002?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The 'Quakes finishing the regular season with the fifth-worst record in the Western Conference? The 'Laxy concluding the season within the Western Conference Top Four?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Discuss.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned this in this weekend's post game thread. But I think I should put it here.

Get your boos ready! Any and every time Deigo Serna (if he plays) touches the ball we must boo him. It bothers really him. So get ready to boo!

3. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone heard what the expected attendance for this one's gonna be? Last year's final regular season match against the Gals sold out. We're not playing for anything this year, and I don't have expectations that we'll repeat that feat.

Oh, and the Serna boos are mandatory.

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict it will be a sellout just like the one at HDC on Saturday. :p

For those of you who went there, there were a TON of empty seats. Musta been comp tickets or something.

And, yes, those boos are mandatory. Anyone who doesn't boo will have to face my wrath. And I'm real mean. :mad:

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge game.

In our last six games (not including Chivas), we are 2-3-1. We have not scored a goal in October. This is a huge game. We need to have some momentum going into the playoffs. Also, we need to put doubt into LAs minds as far as winning on the road.

If LA wins on October 25th, we will lose in the first round like last year.

So, I predict that we will win 3-1 and go into LA with some Big Mo!

Did I mention this is a huge game?

6. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Yeah. With the pressure off having choked away the Supporter's Shield once again, I think the Quakes will step up to the challenge and take the most meaningless regular season match of the season.

(The Flaming clinched the Shield, because even if SJ wins on 10/25 and they lose to the Yellowbellies next Sunday, we'll be tied at 53 pts and they won the season series...thanks to our beautiful 4-1 home loss on national TV and two 0-0 ties.)

7. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had your optimism. But with our defense all beat up or otherwise unavailable. I can't see how the Galaxy is not going to take advantage of that again. :(

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great! Beerking Booze and Serna Boos.

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yee haw! I keep forgeting about the keg! I'm only having two as I promised Beerking though! I tried three this weekend and I wasn't doing too well! :(

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In SJ Earthquakes Weekly Announcement:

"The Earthquakes are currently suffering through the longest scoring drought in team history. Following the Quakes five goal explosion against the Dallas Burn on Sept. 27, the Quakes have not scored a goal in MLS play in 322 minutes, a span that includes losses to the MetroStars (Oct. 5) and Galaxy (Oct. 18) and a tie with Colorado (Oct. 10). "

If I'm LA, I pack it in and counterattack to frustrate the Quakes. I expect an ugly game this weekend...

11. Galaxy-2002MLSCHAMPS

Oct 21, 2002
    San Jose, California
    Oh yeah it'll be ugly! I just hope that there are no serious injuries or any stupid fouls commited...

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And would you believe that was Waibel's FIRST red card? I was surprised when I read that.

13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I made the effort to get on the bus and make the trip down to LA for the (pretty much annual) "debacle in da hood", but will be in Fresno this weekend and thus will miss the rematch. Therefore, (in the spirit of Goodsport), since I won't be there:

Quakes WIN!!!!!!

14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    The frosty cold keg will be at the tailgate early so come thirsty. I just hope BevMo doesn't screw up my order and get the wrong beer or worse yet, forget to order one for me. This game is part two of the doodly-squat pre-playoff series, it means nothing in the standings but a win would go a long way in sending a message to the galaxative scum that they're in for a serious fight.BEEEEER!!!!!!!!!:D

15. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES!!!!!!! Now there's something to be optimistic about! Please make sure I stop at two. Seriously, I'm a lighweight! Three did me in last weekend. :D

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look for the Quakes to come out and play well. I think that's what they're looking to do. From post-game comments, plus the looks on their faces on the sidelines, etc., they just don't seem worried to me. They seem relaxed. They keep mentioning that they put too much into the last two games last year and it left them flat for the playoffs, so I think their outlook is better this time.

Still, I do hope for a Quakes victory...actually 3 in a row against LA.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some thoughts:

- Although I like Donovan in the midfield too, I just dont think our back 4 can survive without two midfielders that have a tendency to sit back deep in the center of the pitch. Ekelund and Mulrooney in the midfield.

- I liked Russel at left midfield, not because he was terribly dynamic but because I thought we just played a smarter offensive game without Corrales or Lagos in there in the first half than we had in a while.

- If Donovan goes back up front, we need to chose between either Faria or DeRosario. I go with Faria, if only because DeRosario drives me insane. I just dont like his game, and thinks he detracts more than he adds.

- I hope ERob and Dayak are back soon.

- We better win this game, and certainly have to at least score a goal. Backing into the playoffs is bad, but collapsing like a cheap house of cards before them is even worse (duh!).

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. This is what I've been wondering about. FWIW, I feel that even though Frank says the team has to maintain its intensity, he also doesn't want to burn them up in a couple of meaningless games. He has to find a middle ground between burn up and staying sharp. With the exception of not getting the Supporter's Shield, these last two games against the Galacterholes mean about as much as the exhibition against Chivas.

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered what it was that made you that way. :) He drives me nuts, too, especially when he and Donovan score hat tricks and a couple of goals in a game.

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, seriously, I understand what you mean Lurko. I think, though, that Dwayne does well when he's got confidence in who he's working with up front. They seemed to be doing quite well several matches ago, teaming up well on the ball. That was not the DeRosario of two years ago.

21. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose - Los Angeles (Saturday, 10/25) pregame thread

Except you can't just turn it off and on. This team should know that from last year when they ended the season and went into the playoffs very flat.

Other than giving the Galaxy a HUGE confidence boost and psychological edge after they have struggled all year.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's eddie robinson's status .... will he get a chance this weekend or in the playoffs?

23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard from someone close to the team that Eddie was a few weeks out. This was just a few days before we left for the LA road trip. Based on that I would guess he won't play this weekend and he MIGHT be back for the playoffs. But, really, with the state of our defenders, who knows when Eddie will be back.

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: San Jose - Los Angeles (Saturday, 10/25) pregame thread

Yes, but as I said in my earlier post, Yallop said they went into the playoffs flat BECAUSE they expended too much emotion in the final two games. I don't think it's a matter of turning it off and on; they are happy with how they are playing and aren't that worried about the final score in the last two games.

25. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are right, StillKickin.
    My concern is their lack of attack in their last 3 games. They haven't been outshot too badly 38 to 32. But, they have only put 8 shots on frame in the last 3 games, an anemic 25%. On the other hand, the opposition has put 53% on goal (20 out of 38 shots).
    Last year they went into the post season having lost 4 out of their last 5 games, being outscored 6 to 12 in the 5 games. They scored 4 of these 6 goals in their only win AND still had to go to OT to win it. They were shutout in 3 of the 4 losses.

This year and last, their offense and defense have both gone south at the same time. End of the season is not the time for it.